Ford Racing

w2racing

I have a question for you racers that bleed Ford blue. If you were going to build a Ford race car, which car would you use for this build? If you must know what class, it would be a hobby stock or maybe even a roadrunner. What car would make a good street stock or sportsman car? I am asking this questoin, because you just don't see anymore bomber or street Fords anymore. My daughter and nephew both want to try there hand in racing. I have 4 Ford engines with transmissions and a couple sets of gears that I have stored at a buddies house. So my thought is, if they want to race, it will be in a Ford. Can't afford to build a chevy engine or two from the ground up, then transmissions and gears. I know that you can get more bang for your buck in a chevy.

So back to the topic, what car would make a good car to keep up with those Monte Carlos and Caprices?

Before investing any buck$, be sure to check with you local track's tech people, so you don't end up with a car and/or engine that you can't possibly comply with their local rules. Rules at these tracks for whatever reasons seem to be pretty chevy specific.
That could be one problem with car count and fan base .i think i might be wrong . but the minnies are the only class that has so many different type cars .vw bug fwd vw . ford mustang . toyota .bmw honda .last but not least pinto clap clap .

This caught my eye on racingjunk, sounds like a project though.

1962 ford galaxie500xl org. circle track car

$1,000.00

loosing storage make me a offer

Above Added: Mon December 11, 2006, 8:39 pm EST

62 galaxie 500,been in a barn for 35 years,cage,headers for a 390,9in rear,leaf springs,wide 5 on the front only, look like 37 ford, old school bus gas tank for fuel cell,,really cool car,back went out again so cant finish the car,, even have 4 or 5 new bias ply tires from the era to go with the car 1000.00 or trade roanoke ,va here,car is on trailer my meet ya half way interested? in ya call work # ask for skip in service dept

This item is USED

Trades ACCEPTED: may trade for what ever!

Item Location: ROANOKE, VA

Instructions for buyer: got the car from the org. sponsor,,l/r guarter damage also perfect r/f fender laying in car

Oldtimer do you have a pinto tatoo on your arm?

Nah i do have a model .tatoo .hmmmm .nah dont like tatoo.s

I've got to agree with hray - early-mid 80s LTD/Crown Vic.

It would be cool to see someone bring one out, and even more cool to see it do well.

raceing fords at cc .no jason its not a pinto .its larger .

For Only Retarded Dudes

LOL :) Just joking......

I know some of the Dirt Mods have been using the later model Crown Vic frames, the front end geometry is suppose to be pretty good, and they are pretty plentiful.

thats good i like FOR ONLY RACE Drivers

I almost got a Merc Cougar, mid to late 90's model, but it would have had to been a sportsman becuase of the uni-body by the rules... :( I know where it is still at, and can probably be had for free, it was a running car with just some TB or Carb prob according to my freind... Its sitting out in a feild at his shop, but body is in what looks like excelant shape... :) I measured the wheel base on it and it came up as a 110" + base... But it would have to be run in an upper class and not bomber/Grand Stock becuase of the uni-body rule....

If I was to build a ford racecar I would look towards the fairmonts that shared clips with the foxbodied cars. These cars a pennies a dozen because no one knows what they are or wants them, they are relativly light, they can obviously carry a 302 with a C4, and every part made for a fox will fit them. Think one of the biggest aftermarkets avaliable for any car in the world avaliable for you. RWD thunderbirds are heavy beasts and an LTD, well, is an LTD...

Thats why I mentioned that Cougar, according to Merc's website it should be a fox bodied car but with the basic same chassis as a T-Bird, not sure if thats where all the weight is though... It does have a 302 and that was a common option on these cars unti the 4.8L engines came out.... :) Plus I think the body style would look sweet against those camero's on the track... :)

And I aint even a ford fan... LOL LOL LOL

Thats why I mentioned that Cougar, according to Merc's website it should be a fox bodied car but with the basic same chassis as a T-Bird, not sure if thats where all the weight is though... It does have a 302 and that was a common option on these cars unti the 4.8L engines came out.... :) Plus I think the body style would look sweet against those camero's on the track... :)

And I aint even a ford fan... LOL LOL LOL

knightblade go back to bed .lol your not a friend of mine .not a ford fan .

I almost got a Merc Cougar, mid to late 90's model, but it would have had to been a sportsman becuase of the uni-body by the rules... :( I know where it is still at, and can probably be had for free, it was a running car with just some TB or Carb prob according to my freind... Its sitting out in a feild at his shop, but body is in what looks like excelant shape... :) I measured the wheel base on it and it came up as a 110" + base... But it would have to be run in an upper class and not bomber/Grand Stock becuase of the uni-body rule....

I don't know if they would still consider it, but when I was thinking of a car for the road runners, they had said they would consider letting a ford uni run if you tubed it, that was for diversity sake.

Just messin Oldtimer... LoL...

Fords are nice, just too high dollar for my taste... :)

See my dream car would be a GT500 :) :) :) :) :)

BTW I wish I could go back to bed... LoL I am stuck at work!!! :(

when i raced dirt for a short time .i raced a chevy . ford was out smarted by chevy .when it comes to raceing .by way of chassis . small block parts fitting each other which saved tons of money .ford did not do that hence the cost of building a ford motor was high .so ford got way behind .and is still way behind .so most classes were formed to fit the most popular raceable cars .but even worst was a dodge when it came to round track . in drag racen ford and dodge have good equipment .jm crazy op.. just to be fair/ford made a really good compact cars that turned out to be a popular minnie .pinto.s mustang .and alot a drag cars and such use the front suspention parts derrived from those cars .

I wish they would let mustangs run in the sportsman but I think the wheelbase is way to short.someone probly knows for sure but I think its like 103 orr 105? Could you streatch the rearend out to 110? and still be under the car. anyway....know a guy in ga that had a 80 somthing merc cougar and it ran great...lots of power and turned well. anyone want to start a class with just mustangs and camero? bet you]ll get alot

I wish they would let mustangs run in the sportsman but I think the wheelbase is way to short.someone probly knows for sure but I think its like 103 orr 105? Could you streatch the rearend out to 110? and still be under the car. anyway....know a guy in ga that had a 80 somthing merc cougar and it ran great...lots of power and turned well. anyone want to start a class with just mustangs and camero? bet you]ll get alot

Maybe you could do like they did with the early 80's camaros. Get a metric chassis or even a camaro chassis and hang a lengthened mustang body with a 9" and a 351.

Archived