Mini stock at THR?

RobbinsSr

Just out of curosity if THR was to decide to run a 4 cyl class using the TPS rules with the exception of DOT tires. How many cars on here would would commit to running there? It would not take anything away from the TPS because the dates at THR would still alow them to run at SAS. My family has 3 cars that would commit.

My loyalty will always be with the Texas Pro Sedans, the track owners have a real good bond with Neil and the series,due to the almost always having the most cars on a race night,the fans who enjoy Pro Sedan four-cylinders,and the great payout. I dont think a individual track would be able to pay what the Pro Sedans payout is.My advice would be "dont fix what isnt broke"................and if the series ever came to an end,I guess it would be up to local tracks to decide if they wanted a four banger class..............anyone else

????.............Randy #53

Also for tech officials to even have a clue about all the different types of cars running the series,It would be a nightmare for them to try to do what Neil does with the rules,I think they would want the same type of car to make rules easier,thus killing those loyal to different car types..................(VW bug for me).......Randy

Right now aslong as tps keeps running .i cant forsee any tracks north of cc running a prosedan type class . i agree with randy .it would be a cluster of you know what kind of deal . i dont think those two tracks would want to take that on . i believe that sas and kyle like the set up just the way it is .and we should all thank them . [ Thanks SaS and Thunder Hill .] its tough enough for the local tracks to run them for tecking reasons .

Waco racer,I will say this,I WILL NEVER race a class that has a claim rule,it may sound fun but I will never allow someone to "buy"my hard work that I expended to put together a vehicle ,I think its ridiculous to allow anyone to "buy" the top finishing cars,First of all you sacrifice quality(If I thought I could lose the car,I wouldn't build it as good,as in cutting corners),and second, that type of class is just gonna be a crashfest of junk that someone will eventually get seriously hurt in..............Randy

I agree there is no need for another Pro Sedan class and certanly these cars are not claimer types.The Texas Twister deal is very similar to the most successful 4 cyl racing I have seen in the last 20 years.At RGS we started a Thunder car class.It was mostly stock with a roll bar and a 1/4" door plate as minimum protection.The key to success was the claim rule.At the time it was 850 AND swap,less safty equipment and battery.We had a great varity of American and import cars and even trucks.The main item was to come with a 4 cyl engine.The people who raced were mainly ones who would have never raced a Pro Sedan or a V8 car at all.Theirs was the most exciting race of the nite with over 20 cars every nite sometimes 30.The original Thunder car series has gone through many changes but basically is still running at RGS,STS and CCS.That is what TH and STS needs too as a weekly series ,not a hi dollar mini.You could build one of these original Thunders in a week.It was more odf a stripping job and I can tell you absoutely it worked.It seemed like every 4 cyl was a potential race car.CC Speedway has eliminated the car claim so its only a matter of time until someone brings a real race car to take everything.A successful claim should be half the price of the average car plus a trade so the claimee can have something to race the next week.I cant remember a single car ever being claimed.At STS the claim price is 800 and swap.They have cars with thousands invested in engines alone but nobody filed a claim because the racing was very close.I dont agree with letting a non racer claim,even the track.If STS,RGS and CCS can run this class,why cant TH and SAS?Even I35.There could be some good special events.Regulate tires,keep suspension parts non aftermarket put a realastic claim like 1250 and swap and run anything that came with a 4 cyl engine.You would be surprised how many different things you would see.

I never had nore ever will build or race a car without full safety cage .complete front to back .i agree with gb on some stuff .but im like randy that claimer rule is a joke in my eyes .gb what do you call a real race car .anything that runs on a race track is a race car .do you consider our cars real .if that is what you are reffering to . put it this way we have thousands of dallors in our car and when we ran at cc with it with street tires .we looked like rookies .if you are going to start a new minnie class or any class .do it with safety in mind .cuz the first time they hit anything with those cars thier wont be much left .on top of getting hurt .. now back to the claimer rule . if you have to have one .then some one is not doing thier job tecking .jmo .gb im sorry if you dont think your car is a real race car lol.mery xmas to you gb happy new year .

Randy Larsen,

I will say this,I WILL NEVER race a class that has a claim rule,it may sound fun but I will never allow someone to "buy"my hard work that I expended to put together a vehicle ,I think its ridiculous to allow anyone to "buy" the top finishing cars,First of all you sacrifice quality(If I thought I could lose the car,I wouldn't build it as good,as in cutting corners),and second, that type of class is just gonna be a crashfest of junk that someone will eventually get seriously hurt in..............

First point

"buy' my hard work.

What hard work is there to do on a Texas Twister? None! Knock the glass out, remove trim and plastic, put (at minimum) a roll hoop (a four point cage may be installed), belts and window net in and go racing. Not a lot of "hard work" invested in one of these. Because you CAN NOT do anything else.

Second point

"I wouldn't build it as good, as in cutting corners"

What corners CAN you cut? None! It is what it is, and nothing more.

Third point

"that type of class is just gonna be a crashfest of junk that someone will eventually get seriously hurt in."

Raced them all year and didn't have anyone seriously hurt in them. And as far as crashfests, that epitath can be placed on every class of cars ever raced, if you watch enough races.

Fourth point

I drive a 1998 Neon. Fits the rules of this class. I broad-sided a deer coming home from the races doing 70 MPH. My son sitting in the front passanger seat never even woke up when it happened. The cars come from the factory "safe". You let your wife and kids bomb up and down the freeway doing over 70 MPH in them WITHOUT ANY additional safety equipment whatsoever. What is the difference in racing one on a small 1/4 mile dirt track, with ADDED safety features? The cars are safer than driven daily on the streets.

Fifth point

I talked to most of the drivers that got claimed. NONE of them lost a dime when they got claimed. MOST made money. Those that didn't make any money, at least broke even. They were the one that claimed a car for $500 and then had to sell it for $500. When is the last time anyone even came close to breaking even on the sale of a racing car?

Sixth point

Started with ten cars opening night and ran as many as twenty six during the season. Every driver that got claimed was able to make it to the track the very next time they were scheduled to race and competed in the class again.

Seventh point

No class of race cars are safe. NONE! From Nextel Cup cars to the Texas Twisters, nothing is safe, you can die in all of them. The safest type of racing vehicle I can think of are SCCA Solo racers. But I have even seen them upside down. You take a risk everytime you strap in.

Eighth point

Have a nice day! :D

Bill "Sarge" Masom

Texas Thunder Speedway (the Home of the Budweiser Racing Texas Twisters) PR/Media

Sarge,the most important item on your Twiiater cars or my Thunder cars is the fact that no sheet metal is to be removed and your correct the factory DOES a great job building a "cage"that is constantly checked by the government.Fact is they are safer in a 60 mph wreck than a gutted car with a simple cage.The body absourbes the energy and although the car might be totalled,very little energy gets to the driver.On the LF door,our 1/4"thick plates are almost indistructable and are heavy.a plate weighs about 100@sThese cars ralely see over 55 mph but driving one seems much faster.So the most important rule to these cars is DONT REMOVE ANY METAL other than tire clearance.And I bet your cars can be prepaired in a week too if you start with a running car.I sponsered 7 thunders at one time.Randy and oldtimer,you need to watch these kinds of cars to understand the whole deal.There IS definately a place for them.There aint no cheaper racing.And it is safe or I wouldnt have let my wife and sister in law race them for years.I just think a claim should be between drivers only with a swap at least as an option if not a requirment.This is truley the most fun racing for the least investment of time and money.

Sarge,your talking to someone who has been racing ahwhile and I know "almost" everything you have said is valid points but I can assure you that one of your Texas Twisters won't ever be as safe as a correctly built Pro Sedan,you think a single hoop bar is gonna do the job when a car gets sidways on a straight and gets hit in the drivers door at race speeds..........I dont think so!!!.....that person can be assured a ride to an emergency room for busted ribs,broken left arm,and whatever other damage from a collapsed door can do.........I can assure you of this as I am a firefighter in Austin and have seen plenty of damage and crippled people from side impacts...............and your fourth point is not valid due to the fact my wife and kids arent racing down the road with 20 other inexperinced nut racer wannabe's trying to run each other over because......"hey I dont have any money in this car so who cares if I smash it and everyone else"..................When people spend some money and build real race cars they tend to take care of them AND STAY ALOT SAFER WHEN RACING...........

"The cars are safer than driven daily on the streets.".......I COULD NOT DISAGREE MORE.

My final point will be that ,I sort of understand what you are trying to promote,but being a racer and being involved in several "BAD" wrecks over the years,I would never allow my wife or son to race one of those vehicles,but I would gladly put them in my Texas Pro Sedan VW Bug and have no fears of them racing it,due to the construction and safety I have personally built into the car by spending some time and money and doing it right................

You have a nice day also.............Randy Larsen #53 Texas Pro Sedans

sarge i say koodos on what you are doing .but i believe its only a matter of time before someone gets really hurt . poeple get hurt in full cage race cars as well .i build mine to give where needed . john in kyle at the last race has what i call a top notch safety cage in his car .light but right . our car was aboult a half foot away from a dead zero t bone when jessie hit him at full speed .2600 pound car verses 2000 or so . it hurt him . but id say would have killed him with out that added cage the whole rear of that car would have been gone and may have exploded . .that was a freak wreck . . thats my point . but do eveything it takes to be safe .good luck and merry merry christmas .a worried racer .

Randy Larsen,

my wife and kids arent racing down the road with 20 other inexperinced nut racer wannabe's trying to run each other over because......"hey I dont have any money in this car so who cares if I smash it and everyone else"

No...they are out there with thousands of other nuts. Invalid argument.

Besides, that is what the black flag is for. And it is used, when needed. If they don't learn the first couple of times, you take away the ability to race.

And I was at the THR Spectacular. Seemed like there was alot of that going on in the TPS race (the "trying to run each other over because....)

"The cars are safer than driven daily on the streets.".......I COULD NOT DISAGREE MORE.

How so? Please explain. Five point harness, roll bar, no glass, full fire suit and helment required.

I will agree on one thing. If I was to build or buy one, I would put in a racing seat. And you know what? You can. Also, you can put a four point cage in it, and door protection. You just can't do any cutting to get it in there.

thumper

And I bet your cars can be prepaired in a week too if you start with a running car

We had one built, in the infield of the track, that raced the feature, that was driven off the street to race ready in less than two hours. If you know what you are doing, and have a bit of help, it shouldn't take you more than a couple of nights to do it.

oldtimer

its only a matter of time before someone gets really hurt

Yep. The only way to gaurentee you will be safe is to not race at all. It is a very dangerous sport, at all levels. Dale Sr died in a Cup car. Moore in an Indy Car, Senna in a F1 car, ect, ect, ect.

There isn't a vechicle, racing or not, that can't kill you, if things go horribly wrong.

Bill "Sarge" Masom

O.K. Sarge,I think that we both have some good points and we both are real serious about "Our" racing classes,.......I am just as big a nut for racing,and I do enjoy all types of racing,so the only way I see to settle this is for me to come to Killeen one race night,see the "Hows and Whys"of the Texas Twisters,and maybe you and me climb into two of these cars and have a mini race for say 5 laps :D ...............besides I have never even met you,and I darn sure dont want any enemies over something I enjoy so much as "racing"........sound good?

Also I dont know how long you have been around the racing in Killeen,but I actually raced a VW bug on that track back in 1992 in a 250 lap enduro race,it was red and also had 53 on the sides,we raced for 125 laps going the opposite way on the track (turning right),stopped for 15 minutes(I was running in fourth place at that point),then we raced the normal direction and by lap 6 I had caught the leader only to crash and not finish........I did have fun,but still to this day dont understand "why"the track wont allow vw bugs or karmann ghias to race in the four cylinder class on a weekly basis,if they did ya'll might have one wicked #53 vw bug back up there racing with ya'll.................Randy #53 Texas Pro Sedans

Randy

I darn sure dont want any enemies

Too late! I demand satisfaction! <throws down gauntlet> (actually an oven mitt, it was all I could find)

Dueling rivet guns at ten paces. Send my second, J. M Hallas, the name of your second and they will work out the details.

:lol:

I ain't mad, and you haven't made any enemy here. You just ran into someone that likes to discuss things like this.

My first race at Killeen was in 1994 (I think). After that I didn't get back very often until about 1998. I started co-announcing there in 2002. Absolutely love that place. Best racing on the planet on a Saturday night!

I think the no VW's was because the "American made" clause in the rules for mini's. But it is pretty much a moot point now, as the reason mini9r started this thread is that the Mini Stocks are no longer a class at Texas Thunder, and he is looking for a place to run. I think the TPS would be a great place for those that have Mini Stocks to keep them running. Ya'll have a fine organization.

I saw one of those enduros. It was great! They raced everything from Street Stocks on down. The one I saw in 1994 was the last one they ever had. I don't know why they don't do them anymore, they had over 80 cars.

maybe you and me climb into two of these cars and have a mini race for say 5 laps

Your on! Just let me know when you want to do it, and I will make sure there is a car for each of us! I will take any damn excuse I can find to drive a race car.

But beware, ya better be ready to race. I ain't no slouch. I drive like I talk; fast and wild! :P

I am counting on you showing up. I love a good grudge race!

Oh, and lets go the other way. Find me another Bug to run, and I will try and make it to the Spectacular or something and we can do it again on your home turf (asphalt)! Any damn excuse to drive fast!

oldtimer

Thats true sarge .in your class can someone run a full cage . if not why not

Not sure what your asking. You can run a four point cage in this class. You can NOT run a full cage, i.e. anything passing through the fire walls. And door protection is an option, but you can't remove anything in the car to get it in.

The rules are written to make it as easy and affordable to build one of these cars. Start removing more stuff, poking holes and trimming, and the time, tools needed, and expense goes up. And the less likely you will sell when claimed.

The Budweiser Racing Texas Twisters are cars that race, NOT race cars. Come up and see us some time. And tell em Sarge sent ya!

Bill "Sarge" Masom

Texas Thunder Speedway PR/Media

:D

Randy

I darn sure dont want any enemies

Too late! I demand satisfaction! <throws down gauntlet> (actually an oven mitt, it was all I could find)

Dueling rivet guns at ten paces. Send my second, J. M Hallas, the name of your second and they will work out the details.

:lol:

I ain't mad, and you haven't made any enemy here. You just ran into someone that likes to discuss things like this.

My first race at Killeen was in 1994 (I think). After that I didn't get back very often until about 1998. I started co-announcing there in 2002. Absolutely love that place. Best racing on the planet on a Saturday night!

I think the no VW's was because the "American made" clause in the rules for mini's. But it is pretty much a moot point now, as the reason mini9r started this thread is that the Mini Stocks are no longer a class at Texas Thunder, and he is looking for a place to run. I think the TPS would be a great place for those that have Mini Stocks to keep them running. Ya'll have a fine organization.

I saw one of those enduros. It was great! They raced everything from Street Stocks on down. The one I saw in 1994 was the last one they ever had. I don't know why they don't do them anymore, they had over 80 cars.

maybe you and me climb into two of these cars and have a mini race for say 5 laps

Your on! Just let me know when you want to do it, and I will make sure there is a car for each of us! I will take any damn excuse I can find to drive a race car.

But beware, ya better be ready to race. I ain't no slouch. I drive like I talk; fast and wild! :P

I am counting on you showing up. I love a good grudge race!

Oh, and lets go the other way. Find me another Bug to run, and I will try and make it to the Spectacular or something and we can do it again on your home turf (asphalt)! Any damn excuse to drive fast!

oldtimer

Thats true sarge .in your class can someone run a full cage . if not why not

Not sure what your asking. You can run a four point cage in this class. You can NOT run a full cage, i.e. anything passing through the fire walls. And door protection is an option, but you can't remove anything in the car to get it in.

The rules are written to make it as easy and affordable to build one of these cars. Start removing more stuff, poking holes and trimming, and the time, tools needed, and expense goes up. And the less likely you will sell when claimed.

The Budweiser Racing Texas Twisters are cars that race, NOT race cars. Come up and see us some time. And tell em Sarge sent ya!

Bill "Sarge" Masom

Texas Thunder Speedway PR/Media

YOU answerd it sarge .now ill do ten pushups .just let me get my jack under me first i can get down ok .getting up the hard part :D wow randy your got trouble now .sarge how much will the tickets be for that race .you sound like a fun guy to be around but not to push around . you dont need an excuse to drive someones car .just build one of those twister fer you .. merry christmas .

now ill do ten pushups

Oh I don't think so, cupcake!

DROP AND GIVE ME TWENTY, MAGGOT!

:D

Bill "Sarge" Masom

LOL.I can give you aboult 20 seconds to fall 20 minutes to get back up .and 20 years to shut up .................................................Nope forget the last one .

Archived