They're not Extinct - YET!

NickHolt

Mel,I wished I knew,I took Larrys old race bug to my Dads shop in Houston where my dad started to rebuild it to race on the dirt,and it was going to be awesome, alot of time and work went into the car and before it was done my dad passed away.His wife,my stepmother decided that after he died she was going to keep eveything for herself and after a nasty court battle she got to keep the car and I still dont know what happened to it...............it even had one of my really good racing transmissions in it that I will not see again,I will see if my sister that lives down that way might have any info on the car and what happened to it but she also was part of the nasty court case and she probably doesnt know either,I miss the car to it would have made a great Pro Sedan car again :( ...........................Randy#53

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mel .did yah sell that car to randy .fast car you and i had a really good race going one night before i had a flat .and you beat scott for the feature win . i was in double 00 .pinto .that red number 12 to the right of your dads is . davids linert was my car at that time .pat johnson drove that 44 car .which is the same car that was stolen at tws with our tools and spare motor . looks like that other car is scott .that car is still for sale i believe .fast pinto .will that pic is 86 or 87 .

Well who drove the blue bug that was team mates with Larry?
there was a blue bug .i didnt know if that was a team mate but a guy name sam drove it before ralph horhien bought it .he won the 1990 champioship in that bug .terry bently bought it off ralph and ran it one year at cc and some tida races .before he bought a wabbit from someone in tida .mike may know what car that was .i have some video some where and some pic.s from back them ill look them up ..you guys sure know how to put a smile on this old goat .seems solong ago .

no body in thier right mind could forget that loud mazda .kinda of funny i can still hear it today .no mistake when he was on the track and you best be ahead of him or you got beat. if that car was on the track today .at kyle or sas we may aswell stayed home .

You should have heard that car without a header. He fired that thing up in the shop one time like that and scared the CRAP! out of me. Now he is going to try to become a member of the 200mph club at the texas mile. You should see this turbo he has for his busa.

Terry Bentley had a blue bug, I believe #82 I think, Terry and David Lehnert are close friends. Dad & Bill Maxey became very close friends with David & Terry & Mark S. & David E. (They always had plenty of liquid refreshments after the races!)

Another Blue bug that used to venture down to CC with us was Alton Rosseau. He had the great Rick Dawdy tuning his VW. Alton was always a certain threat to win anytime he ran.

Dad & Bill always enjoyed racing with your dad, (Roger). He is truly a gentleman racer.

Funny thing is, back then, all the mini-stocks raced very hard....and clean. I see a lot of that same sort of thing with Mike & Lalo & the rest of the pinto bunch from CC these days.

Mike Knotts used to come down to CC every once in a while also.

Those were some good times!

Mel

Ihave a video of larry getting together with pat johnson .larry hit right under the flagstand headon hard and a 50 pound chunk of lead he had up front broke off and went right through the door of the late fatman dale as he passed by .. you can see it flying off his car .that bug was one tough car .the fans were always amazed at how the left front wheel would lift three inches or so through the turns .dont see that anymore on the buggers cars .larry was always famous with the ladys .and at the time the oldest driver .saw larry and gus at cc last year ..mel i remember alton and rick built and tuned larry,s motors . if im correct .

Dad had a sticker on the car "Sexy Grandpa", and yes, he was very popular. We had a hard time finding someone that he had sat down to visit with that didn't enjoy his company.

Bill Maxey built and maintained dad's vw motors. Actually, for the most part the engines belonged to Bill.

And fatman was a lot of fun to race with. I might like to get a copy of that race if you ever have a chance to copy it.

Thanks, Mel

Dad had a sticker on the car "Sexy Grandpa", and yes, he was very popular. We had a hard time finding someone that he had sat down to visit with that didn't enjoy his company.

Bill Maxey built and maintained dad's vw motors. Actually, for the most part the engines belonged to Bill.

And fatman was a lot of fun to race with. I might like to get a copy of that race if you ever have a chance to copy it.

Thanks, Mel

you got it in fact ill give you a copy of the race that you and i left everyone in our dust till the flat slowed me down .the one you went on and beat scott .i should have a few more races of your dad .so ill get them out and take a looksie. your dad was like

my dad .could not find anyone who had a bad word to say .your dad never met a stranger ..the only time i knew of your dad was driveing something other than a bug was when he took davids pinto to tws .i bought that car in 89 and had to go up to your dads in sa to pick it up .that pinto ended up in waco and dallas .running number 22 .i believe .

so we need to have like 3 heat races huh 1 for the bugs, 1 for the fords, and 1 for everyone else huh? hahaha

maybe .if the class keeps growing then neil will have three classes of minnies . i wonder if 35 cars show up at the track who will be going home .maybe the track and neil could extend it to 28 car field .or nascar type system . i know money desides that part .but 30 35 cars not many classes have that. soooooooooo .something to ponder .those guys that have to go home need to race in something .just a thought .

My idea was for the aircoolers to run a 4 or 6 lap trophy dash - no points - no money - maybe a case of beer or something ,before the races start one night. Maybe an old fashioned 6 wide driver salute before the dash, something extra for the crowd. The finish of the race would have no bearing where you start the main later.

My idea was for the aircoolers to run a 4 or 6 lap trophy dash - no points - no money - maybe a case of beer or something ,before the races start one night. Maybe an old fashioned 6 wide driver salute before the dash, something extra for the crowd. The finish of the race would have no bearing where you start the main later.

Hell mike i would pay to see that .Hell i may buy the trophie .buttttt you get to kiss the winner . 53 has to start a half a lap down .lol ps mike you cant drive one .

I THINK SOMEONE SHOULD REALLY TALK TO NEIL ABOUT THIS MAYBE WE CAN DO IT ON MARCH THIRD SINCE MOST OF THE AIRCOOLEDS WILL BE THERE. I KNOW I WILL HAVE MY TWO CARS THERE AND RANDY WILL BE THERE AND BILL AND MIKES BUG AND WHO KNOWS WHO ELSE

I think the first race at THR might be more fun, the shorter track makes it a more equal race.

Thunder hill that way yah will have the bugs out of the bugs so to speek .mike and pepsiblue may have to much power at sas .and that wears out tires to fast .dont forget the tires .maybe they can give out a tire .but a number should be pick from one to whatever before the race and not known till after the race on who.s going to get it . that way no sand bagging . i would want the trophy .

Archived