ASPHALT RACING

hray

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been around racing as long as I can remember, I was 9 years old when my Dad started running at Big "H" (now HMP) back in the 80's and I've been racing since 97 and I guess I'm an old school dinosaur. You couldn't drag me kicking and screaming to a "Tuner Car" so called race let alone race one. I used to run a Dirt touring series for glorified bombers (TOBA) and fans would go nuts when we ran because we put on one heck of a race. You could throw a blanket over most of the field at any time, if you got a top 5 you EARNED it. Because we RACED!!!

Instead of trying to throw away our heritage of racing Stock cars we need to influence and attract the younger generation. They have burn out contests, rappers, half naked woman (which I don't mind too much but would never bring my wife and kids around) to keep their so called fans interested they DON’T LIKE RACING, It's just the latest craze and racing is not the main attraction, all of the other stuff sells tickets and the race is a "side show" like the bearded lady!!! It's a disgrace to even call that a race!!

If we have to start racing cars that sound like a swarm of bumble bees and look like ricoulas drifter cars (or the Car of Tomorrow) for oval racing to survive. Than count me out I'd rather learn to play GOLF!!!!

What we need is to actually RACE not play follow the leader waiting for someone to mess up and try to pass them. I run a Hobby Stock @ HMP and we run 2 and sometime 3 wide. I watch the other classes and all they do is run nose to tale playing follow the leader. Which is BORING to watch, remember most new racers were fans that said "I can do that" and did, but with the boring races no one is saying I can do that their saying "Why do they do that". Restrictor plate racing is the most intense races to watch because they’re side-by-side and bumper to bumper and it puts of a good show. It just sucks for the drivers....

Remember, "If we RACE they'll come"

Mike Sdao #03

HMP Hobby Stock

Mike,

I understand what you're saying. My generation has loved the racing of all those V-8 RWD cars, from the 32 Fords, the 37 Chevys, 40 Fords, 55-57 fords and chevys, and on and on. We developed even a real reverence for some of those old cars.

This doesn't seem to be the case of today's younger generation. I'd hate to see it too, but there may not be much choice much longer. It may soon be tuners or nothing at all. Think about the postings on here about Pan Am, Meyer, and Speed-o-rama. I'd hate to see all our tracks end up like those!

I don't think it has as much to do with the cars we're racing as it has to do with the show (or lack there of). Race fans (I mean real race fans not Racertainment fans) want to see a RACE. I'd rather watch two guys RACING hard on lawn mowers than 15 or 20 fancy Late Models playing follow the leader 50 laps.... For that to happen the tracks are going to put forth some effort to get a top grove to be as fast as the bottom. Than the cars can actually race, if not then bring on the burn out contests and rappers because REAL racing is done!!!

Just a thought? how about seeking out where these groups of tuners hang out? like on the web, local car clubs and so on and talk to them what would it take to get them to the tracks? But even if they are willing to give it a try are the local tracks even going to listen?

have any of the local tracks responded to this thread yet?

Mini,

Here is a wrench.. Why build a car... when we have all these cars built! If i had a choice of 12 races vs. No races... I am taking the 12... your attitude towards the shorter season is wrong.. we need to support the 12 race season to get it expanded... it was compressed because it seemed it worked best in Most, but not all peoples interest...

Who knows.. it may save some peoples Marriages..

Save marriages? isnt that some ones own responabilities and not the tracks?

I understand the reasoning behind the shorter schedule , but what about the people that want to race every week? wouldnt it be better for the tracks to work together and have comon rules to that you could run some where else on those off weeks?

Mini,

Here is a wrench.. Why build a car... when we have all these cars built! If i had a choice of 12 races vs. No races... I am taking the 12... your attitude towards the shorter season is wrong.. we need to support the 12 race season to get it expanded... it was compressed because it seemed it worked best in Most, but not all peoples interest...

Who knows.. it may save some peoples Marriages..

Fist I want to say I'm not doging the track because I love running at THR. but why build a car to run 11 races a season when I can build a car to run 28 races a season at my local dirt track?

Affordability! I find families and racers, the majority, cannot afford to race every weekend, nor, do most have the time to devote to every weekend racing, like most of us have done for most of our lives! They have children, grandchildren in other activities, many more to choose from then most of us did in our days. Families deserve to have vacations together, attend family functions that do not happen to involve a racecar, like weddings, anniversaries, etc. There are many options out there to choose from these days. Our children, as well as many of us, are on our computers the majority of the day and evening hours, we are in a whole different world of generation that loves to play games on their computers, watch racing on TV, you can rewind and replay that race over and over again! So, you have those that can attend as a racefan maybe once or twice a month and still have a life outside of racing and for those that are the racers, they can still race and be competitive in a chase for a championship. if they should choose to so and not have to give up every weekend to do it. That is a little of what makes a touring series attractive to some, not having to race every weekend and getting to race at several different tracks throughout a season. Those that get on here and constantly blame the racetracks for not working together, I have two things to say to this, one is, we, THR just released our tentative schedule for 07, from what I see, we are not competing one night with our sister tracks HMP or SAS.

Second and foremost, when it comes to a race event, we (the racetracks) are competitors, we all want the same racefans coming into our grandstands and the same racecars coming through our back gates, it is a business, it might not be a business to get rich off of, but it certainly needs to pay it's own way to keep those gates open. If a racer has a racecar shop with two or more racecars in the same class in it, do you think any one of them wants the other to beat them on the racetrack? They, come race night are competitors, like it or not.

It is somewhat depressing to be working as hard as each of these track owners, promoters, GM's work and then to constantly get on here and see where they, we are being critiqued as to how poorly we are doing what we are doing to attempt to keep racing alive in Texas. Will we always agree? Absolutely not, as drivers or crews, we do not always agree on the racetrack or in the pit area with our competitors. Where am I going with this, not sure I know, I just know that I have a limited time to monitor this website and before I personally know it, statements and opinions are being stated and many people that only read this site, take it as holy and form opinions that may not be productive to racing! If we (the tracks) are unable to justify or explain our side of some of these type of statements, again some may believe that we agree.

I remember a time when all I wanted to do was tell everyone I knew to come to the races, you can't have more fun anywhere else and guess what, I did not really know or care what was going on at any other racetrack, I was a kid that knew where I wanted to be every Friday and Saturday night, wherever my Daddy was taking his racecar to race! Good Lord, that was way before we could get on a website and vent, just like I am doing. I say, for what it is worth, pick your favorite racetrack or series, get ready to race or watch and tell everyone you know how much fun it is to be there! YOU are the best form of advertisement that any racetrack or series can have! Merry Christmas to each of you and your families and I sincerely mean that. :)God Bless!

minnie 9 i talk to these young poeple aboult our type of raceing and unless they can run whats under the hood with turbos and the like they are not willing to go that way .and most say they dont want thier paint jobs torn up and they cant drive there cars home .what can be done aboult that way of thinking who knows im to old to think thier way .it needs young poeple to understand what it would take to get young poeple into our sport .they all say that would be fun but thats aboult it .use to be easy to get young poeple involved . ive even offerd my help if they need it to build cars .and most i talk to dont know how to work on cars except to add a part .heck we took our cars to work and not one young person talked to us .didnt have fancy paint jobs and lights and high out put sterios . opps maybe on to something there .that way be the answer .hmmmm. and as far as nopi .i watch them on tv .the partys bring them there .small car raceing has been around for along time in drag raceing but . i dont go to nascar just to watch a race .

I say, for what it is worth, pick your favorite racetrack or series, get ready to race or watch and tell everyone you know how much fun it is to be there! YOU are the best form of advertisement that any racetrack or series can have

wow that is probably the best statement i have seen on here in a long time.........

the deal with todays generation and getting them involved........to build a class of "tuner" cars to entise the younger generation, it sounds like a good idea but they will have to then go out and buy a truck and trailer to haul the "tuner" to the race track every week........most of these folks, not all, cant drive a vehicle on the street, much less a trailer to haul a racecar to the track...........how is making a "tuner" car class going to solve anything for the circle tracks.............it works for drag racing because the guy can drive it to the track, race it and then drive it to the house............jmo

First off, even though I feel like I was whiped with a wet noodle..Thank you Mary Ann for responding, Its good to see we are being heard.

hmmmm.. I'm already planning on some pretty fancy graphics, are neon lights under the car leagle in the TPS?

.didnt have fancy paint jobs and lights and high out put sterios . opps maybe on to something there .that way be the answer .hmmmm. and as far as nopi .i watch them on tv .the partys bring them there .small car raceing has been around for along time in drag raceing but . i dont go to nascar just to watch a race .

First off, even though I feel like I was whiped with a wet noodle..Thank you Mary Ann for responding, Its good to see we are being heard.

hmmmm.. I'm already planning on some pretty fancy graphics, are neon lights under the car leagle in the TPS?

.didnt have fancy paint jobs and lights and high out put sterios . opps maybe on to something there .that way be the answer .hmmmm. and as far as nopi .i watch them on tv .the partys bring them there .small car raceing has been around for along time in drag raceing but . i dont go to nascar just to watch a race.

I believe Mary ann hung you up by your ears on a power line and whiped you with a wet rope .

Mary Ann,

Thanks for responding. I think we all enjoy hearing from you on here. The beauty of this forum is that people can get on here and express opinions and ideas. Some good, others not. You're free to pick and choose what best applies in your circumstances.

I'll bet there have been a few expressed on here that you have liked, and even used. Having said that, remember this. Don't take stuff you read too seriously or personally. Most important, I think almost all of us on here are ultimately on the same side. We want what's best for local short-track racing!

Sincerely wishing all the best to ya this coming holiday season and the new year to come!

Mary Ann,

Thanks for responding. I think we all enjoy hearing from you on here. The beauty of this forum is that people can get on here and express opinions and ideas. Some good, others not. You're free to pick and choose what best applies in your circumstances.

I'll bet there have been a few expressed on here that you have liked, and even used. Having said that, remember this. Don't take stuff you read too seriously or personally. Most important, I think almost all of us on here are ultimately on the same side. We want what's best for local short-track racing!

Sincerely wishing all the best to ya this coming holiday season and the new year to come!

YOU SAID IT BUDMAN. MARY ANN looking forward to pulling three hours to burn rubber at your track .7 tps car .

Thank you Mary Ann for responding with a promoters view.I dont agree with a shortened season,RGS has been doing this for some time now.It gets really messed up when theres a rain out and make up date,it gets so confusing the fans dont know what nite is racing.The new owner does not do make ups so this year they went almost 2 months without a race because of rain..This did not help racers or fans.The biggest problem with a weekly show especially with dirt tracks is the season is too long.At STS this year they ran from Feb to Nov and just tired everybody out that tried to make all the shows.CC Speedway has always treated racing like any other sport and has a SEASON.April to Sept.All the family stuff can be done during the off season.Oct through March.A few nuts like me run those dirt tracks before and after the asphalt season.Others do not.

There has been a lot of talk about the "new generation"of possible racers with tuner cars.Fact is NO track is really trying to even run a 4 cyl weekly show outside of CC Speedway.Minis are very important to their show and usually have the most cars,.I read stuff from mini drivers all over the country and its always the same.They race for pennies,have really outdated rules and are considered a baby class,many with age or experience restrictions.A really smart promoter would understand this and get a basic class going with relaxed rules leaning tward the new injected twin cam cars that every car company makes now They pay the same price for a pit pass as anyone else..And PAY them,I won a race a few weeks ago and got paid 40$.Thats just an insult,period.

With a good car count of 4 cyls could evolve a super class of oval tuners that does not exist now anywhere.Imagine 600 HP 4 cyl eclipses,Neons,Colbalts,or even twin turbo 6 cyl 350ZXs all with turbos or superchargers ground effects,wings, methanol burners,and even nitrus and lap times that would scare away super late models.It can be done but not with todays thinking.Every track should have a 4 cyl regular class and nurture it,its the answer to econimical racing.And a super class for really exciting racing to follow.Want to see what a super 4 cyl class looks like,watch the road rally cars that race all over Europe.180mph on dirt back roads on winding back roads going airborne and with a navagator for guidence.Are these exciting.These drivers have the biggest gratefruits of any driver in any series.

I have seen the 4 cyl entry class work with great success.At RGS it took off like hotcakes,everyone was having fun,all races were total inverts by points average,a guy would have to start 24th or so and race to the front.Cars were stock,tires were limited,a claimer kept expensive cars out.The people racing them had little or no resources.The track decided to eliminate the good drivers telling them to MOVE UP but most never did.They dont race or support racing anymore.Most of them couldnt even get a full sized car to the track,they had small trailers and trucks.

Until the minis are recognized as a real racing class and promoted and paid there is little chance of any new blood in oval track racing.Therefore the tuner generation,not all of which are undesirables,will not be intrested.With Civics going 8 secs what intrest is there in a noisy V8.I have been racing a bumblebee for many years and I love the sound of 8500 to 9000 RPM.Does anyone think a Pro Sedan is not a real racecar?And even they are using 20 year old techonology.

My idea is to use basic model minis AND basic modern American injected overhead camed FWD and RWD cars you see today as entry models to get new intrest going.Then have TUNER OVAL TRACKERS.This stuff they call drifting is what Ive been doing on dirt and sometimes on pavement for years.Its really INCLUSION or SECLUSION isnt it?

Mary Ann,you need a 4 cyl entry level class at both TH and SAS and it would not hurt pro sedans,it would give them more to draw from.They could be the super series for now.Could an extra 20 to 25 teams buying pit passes really hurt you?I would really like a promoters view of this.Most dont know a thing about the mini crowd.Thanks, G.B.Carter,,,Texas Thunder # 77 since 1969 Happy Holidays

The only track that has had four cylinder raceing in tx as a week to week class is cc speedway .going back to the 70.s.. well the only track south . i remember one driver s last name melhart .and now sts .the tracks down here have always made a spot in thier show for minnies .and so far the car count hasent been to bad sence 1989 average 15 cars for years . been real good aboult keeping new drivers joining .thanks to all the young and old drivers helping to keep it going and last but not least cc speedway .

Well I gave up on the nopi tuner crowd. We dont have what they want. They want a show that fits into their culture and lifestyle and it aint at a stock car race. We dont have half naked girls walking around, foam pits, LOUD music, D.J.s, and so on. All we have is a bunch of cars that "are not" streel leagal, that are all beat up and scratched, with no turbos or power adders, no big 19" wheels, and all of our pants and shirts fit, at least most of us anyway. I tried to get this crowd to the track a couple of year ago. I even painted my car like the nopi mopar neon and put a big ol wing on it, took it to some car show/crank it up contest. They could have cared less about my car. Sometimes one of them would ask what it did in the quarter, or comment on how light the car must be because it is gutted out. These are a different type of people. jmo Neon Will

I used to work at the dragstrip in marion when nopi went there and it never really got me to excited i mean it was cool and all(a lot of speed) but it just wasnt the same as watching my uncle in his late model at sas. I am 22 yrs old and i would much rather be at an asphalt round and round track with the old guys and learn a thing or two than to be with people my age talking about turbos and big sterio systems. jmo

Archived