ASPHALT RACING

hray

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Buddy,

Can you imagin seeing 91 cars on the points list? Going back to my roots in New Hampshire... Riverside speedway in Groveton has been around for over 50 years.. It has been Dirt and Asphalt many times...

Back about 10 years ago it went thru the same thing that CC is going thru right now, Another track opened real close, and a majority of thier cars left.

3 years ago the track owener hired someone to promote, "Dick Therrien" and he has a simular attitude toward racing as Owen does

JIFFY MART CYCLONES = (4 CYLINDER ENDURO RULES) Any 1960 or newer FRONT WHEEL DRIVE ONLY sedan, station wagon, pickup.

had 91 registered cars in 2006.

They are having a PRE HANGOVER 150 on 12/31... Rules.. Simple..

The 150 lap endurance race will be open to all cars, trucks, and vans. No four wheel drive or all-wheel drive vehicles will be allowed. No studded tires, chains or traction devices will be allowed.

They use these things to create new classes and find target markets...

Ohh and here are the Street Stock type cars:

Any American or Foreign made hardtop sedan or lift back or pickup truck, up to and

including current year.

No sports cars or two passenger cars allowed.

No Saabs.

No Camaro’s or Firebirds or any other leaf spring cars.

Wheel base 87 inches to 103.4 inches.

Educate me. What is the technical reason to exclude Saabs. They must have either a safety issue or a Performance advantage. What is it.

Aaron,

One other thing I noticed, those rules exclude modern roadsters. Now that's one class I'd really like to see, as I've said on here before. Today's young people could really relate to those. Granted, they would have to have cages added, but they would sure be fun to race and watch!

It looks o me like RULES are the biggest enemy of Sat nite racing afterall.Neon,you are correct a series that allowed the modern cars,injected and carburated combined would be a prefered way to fing acceptable entries.STS racer the 302 engine is a very dependable and easy to find engine so where are they?They are in cars sized for a smaller engine..The V8 cars for far too long have been making rules to "protect"the V8 Chevys and metric chassis,hence the abscence of Dode and Ford.You will fing a few in classes with fab chassis like late model and modifieds.Who cares what the wheelbase is?With a minimum weight it evens things out.Who cares if its injected?Its only fuel and timing management.But just like mini stock racing has almost destroyed itself all over the country by mmaking rules to protect heavy rear wheel drive cars,the pure stock or bomber and evern the hobbie stock classes will soon run out of entries.sO NO MATTER HOW YOU LOOK AT IT rules ARE OUR BIGGEST ENEMY ALONG WITH OUTDATED THINKING.Too restrictive,too protective,too changing,too outdated.I think promoters should go to the auctions and see for themselves what is available to race.Thats what Mr Yocum did and he bought many cars and put rollbars in them and sold them cheap to start his bomber class.In the second year there were over 50 cars.And what a race,no shortage of excitment.I know the higher classes will say entry level racing is not the most important but guess what,IT IS.Speed does not make a race,batteling does.NASCAR has been cruel to our sport setting standards that few can live up to.And their techonology is very outdated and protected.Imagine Cup cars like Mercedes,Audi modern Toyotas and Nissans etc,The average racer has a job and family to spend time and money on so a race car that consumes too much of eather will nor exist.My idea is race what is available and pay that "lower class"good money and the cars will come.Pit passes cost a bomber or mini driver the same as a late model or modified driver so give some back.Then create a SHOW,with music,stories,villians and heros,characters for the cars and PROMOTE.I guarntee Vence McMahan would fill the stadium.He only has fake fighting to sell.We have REAL excitment and danger to sell.Unfortunately its not up to us,the owners of the tracks make the decisiopns and their not listening. :ph34r:

Jay,

There are lots of SOB's out there. Would it be ok for them to race? That would be cool ...... an SOB class! :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Jay

Most Saabs i believe are all-wheel drive or have a turbo... Also the suspension is pretty kick but too...

There was a Saab that led a long way into the 50 lap feature at the RR year end race. It cut down a tire and scraped the wall late in the going. It cornered so hard that it would lift the lr up off the groung like you see the front drive road racers do.

Jay

Just got home from a day at the race track and we had IMPORT WARZ today-big crowd,lots of racing,all the young generation,even had a Ultimate Fighting Exhibition going on a boxing ring,had some rappers,live bands,carshow,sound contest for their cars.It's what the young crowd is into,just have to open the door and give it to them.Kinda like the Field of Dreams.I'm telling you,the short tracks are missing out on a market.Hate to say it,but if you want to draw the young bunch,you are not going to do it with old classic cars and country and western music.Sometimes you have to step outside the circle to see what the other side is into.

Here in Ohio, we have 5 asphalt tracks within a 100-mile triangle that run FWD classes with slight variations in rules from track to track, and they are by far the most popular classes at those tracks. These tracks all run on Saturday nights opposite each other so there is absolutely no cooperation between tracks.

These numbers are for the FWD classes only:

Sandusky Speedway - 1/2 mile - 41 cars on roster

Lorain County Speedway - 3/8 mile - 72 cars on roster, and it was closed for half the season before former owners re-purchased the track

Barberton Speedway - 1/4 mile - 49 cars on roster

Midvale Speedway - 3/10 mile - 90 cars on roster

Painesville Speedway - 1/5 mile - 30 cars on roster (estimated/site was down - they have the most liberal rules allowing RWD cars as well which may account for the lower number)

That's 282 cars in a 100-mile triangle.

These classes do attract a different type of racer. Lorain lets the drivers leave their cars at the track (many have learned to get locking gas caps lol), and there is quite a bit of amusement on Saturday afternoon watching all the damage being repaired. There has been some movement from the FWD classes into the upper divisions at some of the tracks. Lorain, for example, has picked up a couple of top-notch E-Mod drivers from the FWD class.

Midvale tried a Fan Appreciation Night last summer. It was held on a Wednesday Night, and the Pure Stocks and FWD cars were the classes for the night. Admission was $1, with $1 hot dogs and drinks. They sold the place out and ran out of food. They are also creating a Figure 8 class for these cars next season, which will pay $200 to win.

This is a regional example, and having lived in South Texas for 30 years, I know the racing climate (as well as the actual weather climate :D ) is different there. If someone could figure out how to adapt this idea to the South Texas asphalt tracks, I bet they would have similar results.

Ultimate Fighting Exhibition going on a boxing ring,had some rappers,live bands,carshow,sound contest for their cars

i thought that was the great thing about racing, that we didnt have to see that kind of junk there, like we have to see everywhere else we go.........

the live band and car shows would be nice, but the other stuff that usually comes along with the boxing, rappers and sound contest kinda takes away from the family event that makes racing a little better than the other sports.........jmo

IM in auto part sales and i talk to alot of young poeple aboult raceing .The answer i get is can we run turbo charge .and all the other high out put parts .awd and the like .thats a daily question i ask them .well untill that is alould .not much hope in getting them to race . they like the power i we have in our tps car .but that is carb eng .maybe with neon will running with tps sometimes .that could change . as of now the tracks dont have any tools to check .injectors .throtle body.s computors and so on .that takes alot of money invested to get the proper equipment ..will has done a good job with what he has .but really as of now not much anyone can check .im sure the day will come when that will have to happen .maybe some promoter will take that ball and run with it and see if he could build that type of class .that would be good for the sport .its workable .

what does "on the roster" mean ? that means registered drivers , not how many cars show up on weekly basis to run?

at the drivers meeting , or given the chance , alot of people will piss away 40-60$ just to register so they can say they are a racecar driver. then usually 45% to 55% of them crawl back to that beer joint they rolled out of , never even attempting to to even start building a car.

look on the usra site under drivers and see how many racecars usra has on "the roster" , and then remember how many show up.

- youre right buddy, i have become cynical ?

This is from memory based on what i saw at each of the tracks at different points last season. Some I attended while traveling with the Legends Series or just to watch:

Sandusky Speedway - 1/2 mile - 41 cars on roster - approx 24-26 per night

Lorain County Speedway - 3/8 mile - 72 cars on roster, and it was closed for half the season before former owners re-purchased the track - approx. 50 per night, ran three features

Barberton Speedway - 1/4 mile - 49 cars on roster - approx. 30 per night, ran two features

Midvale Speedway - 3/10 mile - 90 cars on roster - approx. 50 per night, ran three features

Painesville Speedway - 1/5 mile - 30 cars on roster (estimated/site was down - they have the most liberal rules allowing RWD cars as well which may account for the lower number) approx 20 per night, ran one feature

oldtimer, I dont think a track is going to buy tools to check fuel injectors, computers, and all that other stuff. There are other ways to even things out. Weight being the most simple, based on performance.

Tommy33, how about my sister, she gives those guys a run for the money. She got herself a ride with A.J. Foyt Kawasaki! That is really cool. Tommy, you have some good points about how to get those tunner cars. I could do without the rappers but that nopi crowd is kind of cool. Burn out contest are neat. And then there is that drifting stuff. I dont even know what to think about that.

Neon Will

oldtimer, I dont think a track is going to buy tools to check fuel injectors, computers, and all that other stuff. There are other ways to even things out. Weight being the most simple, based on performance.

Tommy33, how about my sister, she gives those guys a run for the money. She got herself a ride with A.J. Foyt Kawasaki! That is really cool. Tommy, you have some good points about how to get those tunner cars. I could do without the rappers but that nopi crowd is kind of cool. Burn out contest are neat. And then there is that drifting stuff. I dont even know what to think about that.

Neon Will

Not buying tools .thats one of my points .if you cant check them .then you really cant regulate them .sand bag . tps checks our restrictor plate with a tool .with out it they could not tell if it was 38 mm or 40 . so i could have a 45.mm and no way for them to know. scales for wieght . with out it .bingo for you and i happy .take it off .add it to left side .cant check and regulate it with out tools. png guage.tps has one .they can check that motor to see what you have down to a T so to speak .its true your type of car is the future .so get your butt out there and talk some of those young bloods into your style of raceing .show them your car .i have customers who would love to talk to you on thier neons .young enough for you to persuade . maybe do a neon rap song for them .

Get the average guy involved!!! There a lot of people that would like to race, but cant afford to spend a bunch of money just to compete 8 or 10 times a year. Something to think about - there was a time when local racers could afford to race on a weekly basis (at 2 or 3 different tracks on different nights), be competitive without spending his children’s college fund and get most anything he needed to build or repair his car locally. Engines didn’t come in crates and you didn’t order your chassis out of a catalog. For the local asphalt tracks to flourish, both the racers and track owners will have to face the fact that what is happening now isn’t working, the slow death of SLM class is proof. Foreign and shorter wheel based cars are here to stay. (I believe even NASCAR has seen the writing on the wall) Late Model and Super Late Models are just too expensive for the average guy. (7 or 8 cars just don’t put on a good show) Common rules and fewer classes will increase car counts. I know change is sometimes looked on as "Bad Thing" but its time.

OK I will now get off of my soap box.

Archived