ASPHALT RACING

hray

Dirt racing is flourishing at well run tracks all over TX especially in bomber and limited mods. Asphalt racing in So TX is floundering at best with exceptions in certain classes.

There are 2 threads currently running on TXSZ that are fascinating to me. One is "Truck Series---looking for a 3rd teammate" with 214 replies and "Outlaw SLM Race" with 107 replies. I think a careful reading of these threads give track/series owners, promoters, car owners and racers a clear picture of exactly what needs to be done to bring asphalt racing back. I'm not going to weigh in with my opinions just yet. I would like to know what you think these threads tell us.

I don't want a detailed set of rules or a long disertation about specific infractions of certain tracks or owners. How about a simple 1 or 2 sentences about what these threads tell us. It's really that simple!!

You can also research back to past threads started by commonsenseracing and Nick Holt and others, but the 2 referenced above are enough by themselves.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Asphalt racing is in a Refresh mode... Speaking from the work i am doing.

Young driver refresh: Work with QTR Midgets to get them built back up as a driver pool for Central Texas.

Communicaton refresh: Working with THR on a major project for the 2007 season. Low $ potential High impact.

Car Count: Spoke with Jack S. about Metric cars in Hobby (108) talks continue and believe will be brought up at banquet believe there are some meetings planned there.

Experience improvement: Currently working on the Picture/DVD angles.

follow the bouncing ball... think we may have found the ground..

My 2 Cents.

The Bombers and limited are 2 farly inexpencive to run in. And you can pretty much take either one of these cars and race at any dirt track you want. The other problem I see is why build a car to run 10 or 11 races at you local aspahlt track when you can run every weekend at your local dirt track?

Asphalt raceing has kind of lost...its identity so to speak . to many classes of cars with different rules . alot of cars sitting in wait for someone to bring the rules to fit most cars .tracks not working with each other to simplify .tires motors chassis wieght and so forth .The dirt seems to be on a more even keel at this time .jmo thow it does not mean much .what do i know .

I believe low car counts in asphalt racing is a result of track owners and promoters lost sight of their "target market".

Racers have always been just your average "every day Joe" (a Chevy, Ford) that likes to build things and work with his hands (not all but most). That's why Bomber/Hobby/Street Stocks are so popular the "AVERAGE RACER" can build and maintain their own cars (again not all but most). The tracks and promoters took a detour from that and went with the "spec" cars (Allisions, legends etc.) that had to be bought from limited suppliers and the "average Joe racer" was eliminated from the equation because he could not build and maintain his own equipment. With spec cars came what I call "Country Club" racers (a Cadillac, BMW etc) target market) who can and will pay somebody the build and maintain their cars.

I'm by no means trying to knock spec cars or so-called "Country Club" racers. I'm just saying there is a limited market for them and therefore only so many cars.

You notice they don't run many Cadillac or BMW commercials during a NASCAR race or Chevy truck commercials during Golf tournaments, They know their "Target Markets" tracks and promoters are trying to sell Cadillac’s to Chevy people. If they would start selling Chevy people Chevys and Cadillac people Cadillacs I believe they would begin to see car counts go up.

I don’t see it that way.

How many local drivers have moved out of a Bomber/Hobby/Street Stock and into a Legacy, Legend, or TPS car. I think if anything it is the other way around.

I agree that our type of cars(Legacy-can’t speak for the others mentioned) may fill a niche market and may be considered "Country Club" as you call it. We still have to maintain our cars just like the rest of them. Some teams may have someone else work on the car for them, not this cowboy. I think that this may be the case in any class and/or series. The Legacy cars for one are designed to be a ladder series, but some choose to stay in the series because the yearly cost can be very economical. I am just an average Joe racer that likes to race and have fun. This average Joe racer also has a thin wallet when it comes to this hobby of mine.

I don’t think the tracks have turned their backs on the local drivers. For whatever reason the car counts have hit a plateau. Whether its economics or communication issues, I don’t know.

We all know that a track owners dream is to have 24 plus cars in every division that runs at the track. Some nights are car count great and others are not. I think the track owners looked to some of the other series while things build back up. The local racers are the bread and butter to a track owner. I wouldn’t think they could stay in business without the support of you.

With that said, I want to thank every driver, crew member, team supporter that calls SAS, THR and C.C. home! Without you guys these tracks could not make it and I would not be racing. Thank you

Tap into the Tuner crowd,they are young and into cars and going fast.As long as you keep running classic antiques,what do you expect.With Toyota coming in and who knows what import next,it's a great opportunity.I kinda agree with Outlaw on the "target market".I see it at the track and the young kids are not driving old metrics.Time to move foward to appeal to the masses,not the graying few,the few will adapt,I have.

1)People's car's sitting...mad about something, or just broke, or both..I think there should be a driver's, owner's, promoter's meeting in every class, every year in January, like the ARTS folk's used to do ...input, instead of that's what WE (track owner's,promoter's) are going to do... You give the cew's a little listen would go a LOOOONG way. There are a few thing's I would like to see change....(that would) help on wear and tear on our car's, and might save money next year as well. here is not the place.

2) We the people spending countless hour's, dollar's, to make "THE SHOW" just want to FEEL like we are appreciated....not "I DONT NEED YOU"..plain and simple!

#1....It is just a statement in general!!!

In the old days we had 2-3 classes at the local tracks: a beginner's class, an intermediate class and a top class. You could start anywhere, but the beginner's class limited a driver to 2 years, then they had to move up .. or out. There was also a car age rule: you could only run a body style so many years old but the newest model was legal. 'Course in the old days there wasn't as many makes and styles as today, nor as many corner speed shops catering to a particular style or look. Touring series made race nite even more special when they came to town - but they weren't a regular part of the show.

What both of these things did was encourage new blood, move 'em up, and keep things fresh. You didn't see a guy (or gal) racing in the same class for 15 years, and you didn't see 20 year old cars still racing. And, the tech people kept up with the new technology. Not many fuel injected cars (new technology?) running asphalt in local track classes...

no dedication. half the people i know struggle to get up and hold a real job ............ this is alot of work , takes all of your spare time and more. everybody and anybody can say ( and have ) that they could be a hell of a racecar driver if they ever got a chance , everybody and anybody is given the same oppurtunnities in life so get you ass up at work at doing it , and quit waiting for the free ride.

it's not the rules , or the promoters or the tracks................it is just a generation of 'ME'. they love to play in their softball leagues because they can buy their gear for the price of one tire and then they only have to devote 4 or 5 hours a week to being the cal ripken they always said they could be.

- and most dirt tracks are in rural areas , where the diversion of interested away from racing is not so great and they have ALOT better work ethics. JMO

Well I dont know about the traveling series or the expensive cars but CC Speedway has vowed to bring the local asphalt racing back to the grassroots that have kept them racing for over 50 years.They plan to run 3 classes only on a regular basis with occasionally a traveling series special.A pure stock class called bomers,but not the tanks regulary found in bomers,rather a factory stock for those on limited funds.A mini stock class restricting chassis and suspension to non aftermarket but flexable enough to allow a car builder to tune a 4 cly car for max performance.As a top level with the good pay a Super Street whose rules look more like a hobby car with very little expensive parts allowed keepimg a race ready car priced around 5K.Most modifieds and all late models spend more on engines alone.And everyone is on street tires keeping that cost on check.The racers should be able to afford to keep racing and the track should make enough to stay open.The drivers I have talked to are excited to get back to grassroots racing again.Many have tried the expensive cars and the traveling racing but have found out that the neighborhood Sat nite racing is as good as it gets.Lets see how their season unfolds before we give up on the asphalt tracks.You might be surprised. With only 3 classes the car count has to be good with each team deciding where it is most comfortable.I also agree its time to get the modern cars involved.Why has there not been any V8 mustangs racing oval?

how come......... TD said the grand stock was to be the class, and I agree you dont have to have a SLM class, or big dollar class to have great racing, back to my first reponce, how come if the grand stock class is so affordable... why wasnt there 40 plus cars every night, a way to go race cheep, to Jason or Rustys answer, to me its to many differnt rules per track and changing rules every other month, get all asphalt tracks to be same rules (even if there running the same night) ie cc,thr,sas, so what its the same rule and if you want to go to another track that night you can or if rain out go to another track, duhhhh, this just makes to much sence.

Thumper, you have a good point. Why are we not racing V8 mustangs? We should have been racing that car 10 of 15 years ago. I think the 1st reason is wheel base, it is to short for most rules. 2nd it is a strut car, and 3rd its fuel injected. Also the firebird and camaro of the 90's, those cars are almost the same. That would be a great class in stock form, and cheap. It could be the future of pure stock racing.

Neon,

Have you ever looked at the suspension on a GM F body car ('93 up Camaro & Firebirds)? They are perfect for racing. Yes, strut fronts but changable springs and aftermarket (reasonably priced) strut shocks, and the rears are 3 link. 350 CID's, fuel injected, and electronic (chips available). Inexpensive racing, good looking and fast with very few mods.

They are all over NASA & SCCA, but wheel base too short for circle track. Maybe someone should look at the rules-"INCLUSIVE not EXCLUSIVE".

hray, I agree with you. That would be an awesome class. The hard thing for me would be what car to to go with. They all are fast on the street. What about a dodge? How about front wheel drive? Just kidding LOL! You are right people race those cars every weekend all over the country.

AT LAST!

Damn, you guys a making sense on this thread now. I've been saying this for a long time. Common rules, more modern cars, limited number of classes, more cooperation among the tracks in scheduling, rules and related matters, etc, etc.

Most of the cars being raced now are antiques to the 20 something crowd. That's why you'll find them all at the drag strips on Saturday nights instead of the circle tracks. Promoters, are you paying attention!?!?

Well I dont know about the traveling series or the expensive cars but CC Speedway has vowed to bring the local asphalt racing back to the grassroots that have kept them racing for over 50 years.They plan to run 3 classes only on a regular basis with occasionally a traveling series special.A pure stock class called bomers,but not the tanks regulary found in bomers,rather a factory stock for those on limited funds.A mini stock class restricting chassis and suspension to non aftermarket but flexable enough to allow a car builder to tune a 4 cly car for max performance.As a top level with the good pay a Super Street whose rules look more like a hobby car with very little expensive parts allowed keepimg a race ready car priced around 5K.Most modifieds and all late models spend more on engines alone.And everyone is on street tires keeping that cost on check.The racers should be able to afford to keep racing and the track should make enough to stay open.The drivers I have talked to are excited to get back to grassroots racing again.Many have tried the expensive cars and the traveling racing but have found out that the neighborhood Sat nite racing is as good as it gets.Lets see how their season unfolds before we give up on the asphalt tracks.You might be surprised. With only 3 classes the car count has to be good with each team deciding where it is most comfortable.I also agree its time to get the modern cars involved.Why has there not been any V8 mustangs racing oval?

why no mustangs wheel base for one . lalo and rico race late model mustangs .they wont let him run a v8.lol has anyone priced the parts on the newer car parts .just to get a body and chassis isnt cheap .crt just picked up a late model mustang in which he has been looking for .for sometime now .and even thow it does not run it did not come cheap .and buying body.s to make a car look late model isnt cheap either .so whats the answer .this is one oldtimer has no answer for .

I couldt tell you right now if we could run a mustang in the purstocks with a V-8 bet your ass I would be in it. I know the ford V-8 and love messin with them. You can do so many little mods but be so much faster than most of your chevys. No offense but its true. Ill ask Owen to allow it and Ill sell my 4 cyl. motor and build a badass 302 and run prustocks. :D

Buddy,

Can you imagin seeing 91 cars on the points list? Going back to my roots in New Hampshire... Riverside speedway in Groveton has been around for over 50 years.. It has been Dirt and Asphalt many times...

Back about 10 years ago it went thru the same thing that CC is going thru right now, Another track opened real close, and a majority of thier cars left.

3 years ago the track owener hired someone to promote, "Dick Therrien" and he has a simular attitude toward racing as Owen does

JIFFY MART CYCLONES = (4 CYLINDER ENDURO RULES) Any 1960 or newer FRONT WHEEL DRIVE ONLY sedan, station wagon, pickup.

had 91 registered cars in 2006.

They are having a PRE HANGOVER 150 on 12/31... Rules.. Simple..

The 150 lap endurance race will be open to all cars, trucks, and vans. No four wheel drive or all-wheel drive vehicles will be allowed. No studded tires, chains or traction devices will be allowed.

They use these things to create new classes and find target markets...

Ohh and here are the Street Stock type cars:

Any American or Foreign made hardtop sedan or lift back or pickup truck, up to and

including current year.

No sports cars or two passenger cars allowed.

No Saabs.

No Camaro’s or Firebirds or any other leaf spring cars.

Wheel base 87 inches to 103.4 inches.

Archived