Dale Earnhardt's Race Suit Recovered

NickHolt

For Immediate Release

Fort Worth Police Department, Public Information Officer

Office: (817) 392-4214

Email: dean.sullivan@fortworthgov.org

Dale Earnhardt’s Race Suit Recovered

Fort Worth, TX (December 14, 2006) – Fort Worth Police have recovered the vintage racing suit, once worn by Dale Earnhardt Sr., which was stolen last month from Texas Motor Speedway president, Eddie Gossage.

Police investigators surmised the theft was committed internally, which was confirmed when the attorney of a part-time TMS employee contacted Fort Worth Police Major Crime unit detectives. The attorney asked to discuss the theft and the return of the racing suit.

On Wednesday, investigators met with the attorney and the suit, a helmet and a pair of racing shoes were recovered. Police are preparing a case to be presented to the Denton County District Attorney’s Office to file appropriate charges associated with this theft.

The recovered racing suit will be returned to Mr. Gossage this morning at 10:30 AM at Fort Worth Police Headquarters.

We appreciate the public and media’s assistance in the investigation of this case. You all have played in important role in this partnership and returning this property to its rightful owner.

##

And here are comments from Texas Motor Speedway President Eddie Gossage on the recovery of the stolen Dale Earnhardt Sr. firesuit: “This firesuit means a great deal to me because Dale and I had been good friends since early in both of our careers. After he ran his first laps during a test at Texas Motor Speedway before we opened, he came to my office and gave me these items. I wanted to share them with the public, so we have had them on display for the last 10 years. The items were temporarily stored in a secured storage closet while being moved from one display to another when they were stolen. This uniform is such an icon to our sport and Dale’s great accomplishments, similar to one of Elvis’ jump suits. … Detectives from the Fort Worth Police Department told me during our very first meeting that they would find these items. They kept their word through old-fashioned hard work, persistence and intelligence. Chief Ralph Mendoza and the entire Fort Worth Police Department are to be congratulated, particularly Detective Davon Green. As a citizen, it makes you feel secure to know that such professionals are ensuring our community is safe.”

Archived