we can save the super stock class

dt8435

As per Owen we can save the super stock class at south texas speedway. Owen says that when he calls for the first drivers meeting coming up soon if we can register 15 cars or up we can save our class. This class will be dependant on us. If you want to run in the super stock class and be able to run the 10" wheels and tires call Landon Farquer at 361-774-8704..or David Terrell at 361-946-1968 if we do not answer please leave a message with your name and number. The sooner we find out who is interested the sooner we find out if we still have a class. Im sure that if we all get together on this we can have some say in what the rules will and be able to schedule more weekends for us to race.LETS SHOW OWEN THAT WE WANT TO RUN THE SUPER STOCK CLASS AT SOUTH TEXAS SPEEDWAY. Thank You David Terrell

Don't get to quick on putting words in my mouth now, what I said is we will talk about the 10" tire super stock class continuing if we can have more than 16 sign up at the meeting, the other thing I said is just because 16 sign up don't mean 16 will show up, I know we had at least 3 drivers sign up last year that never showed up. I also said when I put up 1000 to win and 100 to start only 12 showed up and one of those was from Dallas and several of those were first time ever at the track and as far away as Kerrville. So convincing me that you guys will get 16 to 20 cars on a nightly basis is going to be tough. Next during the phone conversation I was told they had 20 plus drivers ready to go, now its lets find 15, its going to take alot of convincing to make me change my mind and put you alls race track in a finacial jeopardy for 8 or 10 cars not wanting to change tires.

I really don't understand this infatuation with an expensive 10" tire, I am willing to pay the new combined class the same money as the modifieds if we get a good car count yet people still want to stay with a 10" tire. THE ONLY THING YOU HAVE TO CHANGE IS TIRE AND RIM.

DT8435 - The other thing I want you all to think about is if the usual 10 or less cars show up to race are you all willing to race for a trophy?

Give up the big tires you babies.....learn to drive...lol

I think he should allow the 10" wheels (at least for 1 more year) and phase them out for next year. I like the g60 tire rule (wish edna would go to this too) and they can be mounted (although not easily) ON A 10" wheel without any advantage. I would also suggest allowing the big tires on the front for this year to ease the burden of buying all new tires.

But on to more important stuff...I know where a race winning "hobbystock" can be bought for less than most bombers...someone needs to buy it to help save the class.

tire and wheel change ain't the end of the world. Car count is important. They have to be combined and simply focus on a set of rules that will work for both groups and not chase one or the other away.

1. New combined class should be called "Sportsman". Makes sense with similar classes around the country.

2. Set a wheel and tire size rule. Let the driver decide on the tire as long as it stays within a size limit (tread width limit and overall size limit).

3. Allow any cast iron head in Sportsman and don't reference brand like Dart, etc... Just specify no aluminum and specify cc minimum. Allowing the aftermarket heads is economical when you add up all the cost to prepare a set of used heads, trying to get them to flow right and everything else.

If any way possible Corpus, Pleasanton and Edna track owners should get together, agree on one set one set of rules for the Sportsman class, cause Edna is combining a class also, so that would be smart for all tracks. Run the class one Saturday at Corpus, other Saturday at Edna and whatever Friday night schedule at Pleasanton. You will get the car count that way if the owners discussed this class and agreed on a set of uniform rules for the South Texas group. The late model stock guys in Houston were dropped from HRP and formed their own group with their own rules and will be making dates at 4 or so tracks around the Houston general area. You will not draw every car in Sportsman class from Edna to Corpus or Corpus to Edna, but you will draw more cars to both places if you create uniform rules between the tracks. Would benefit drivers, all of the tracks in the zone, and make for some crowd pleasing car counts with some exciting racing.

Touring classes are fine. But I don't beleive Owen was wanting to make rules for a touring series. As far as the asphalt touring series there are no local truck, modified or super latemodel classes that is why they have touring series. Keep dirt racing affordable race at home unless you want to travel.

This is a local class not a touring series. The rules should be the same for all tracks so a car can run somewhere else if they want but beleive me these guys don't want a touring series.

Not really encouraging a touring class. Used the Houston example to illustrate what the guys decided to pursue in their area to be able to continue to run their class. From my perspective, I would love to see the same rules at every track, but at a minimum for the three tracks I mentioned so racers in the region can run one place or another if they like or during off nights. Just would like the option to travel to one or another in the area without big expense for changing things. Would like to see some sort of shedule coordination though. If done right, it could really increase the count at all of the tracks for the class. With Edna and Corpus facing the same dilemma and needing to combine classes, it should automitically increase car counts by simple math at each of those tracks individually. But more than that, would hate to see wide rule variances from one track to another when it comes to tires. Actually, the rules for each track will probably be very similar other than the tire matter which is getting the most attention on this subject. More than anything I would like to see the same rules at each of the three tracks if at all possible.

I agree...it would make things easier all way around and bring up car counts which is what everyone wants I would think...I know it SUCKS to run for $100 to win...but when you you only have 8 cars in a main cant expect big payouts....sure would be nice to average 15 plus cars in a feature

in the past there has been a big difference in motor as well as weight the 3 tracks would have to get togther and decide on one set of rules for all 3. for example one of the super stock in corpus could run at edna but have to take 300#'s of weight penalties. 1 for alcohol 1 for motor set back and 1 for tube chassis even though his motor was a 355 and their cars were alowwed 383's

Combine the 2 classes, and decide on a tire size. Raise the purse, and call it sportsman or something. If everyone is set on 8 inch wheels and G60's, then do it. If everyone is set on 10 inch wheels and tires, do it. When I lived in Tennessee, we ran 10 inch wheels and tires on Street stock cars, but they were the asphalt pulloffs, F15, F45, F60, etc. You could get them ungrooved and grove them yourself for $20 bucks a tire. you could get them already grooved for around $40 bucks a tire. They had 2 dealers for them up there, one of them a race shop, and one of them was a race track. Personally, if everyone wants to look like a late model, you need 10 inch wheels and tires. We just need to decide something. As far as the purse goes, I live here in the valley, and I race a hobby car for $65.00 to win. In Tennessee, the least I ever raced for was $300.00 to win, and that was a Street stock with a vaccum rule. This is just my opinion. Thanks.

Kevin

how many cars ran at STS that race in edna?how many went to STS that were from pleasanton?i am not talking once in a blue moon.i am talking about enough for STS to make it worth it.everyone wants no changes to there cars,but they dont have enough to put on a show for the paying spectator.i dont see how OWEN can wait to see what others do.its time to get ready now.if OWEN does not have enough big tire cars for a first class show,will the drivers say {keep some of the purse},to help out?HELL NO,they will only talk about all the money they have in there wanna be looking late models.let them learn how to drive on a small tire.and may the best driver win!frank t.

I agree with frank....never ask a driver what rules he wants in a class...he will only ask for rules according to what he already has (cant blame them) most racers are short sighted...only think about how much this rule will cost them, they dont pay attention to how many people a rule will help. The tire rule will help everyone in the long run....the asphalt pulloffs would even be better, I just dont see where a 10" wheel makes a difference...but I like 8" wheels also...

I agree with frank....never ask a driver what rules he wants in a class...he will only ask for rules according to what he already has (cant blame them) most racers are short sighted...only think about how much this rule will cost them, they dont pay attention to how many people a rule will help. The tire rule will help everyone in the long run....the asphalt pulloffs would even be better, I just dont see where a 10" wheel makes a difference...but I like 8" wheels also...

i will run mine on whatever tires the decide on just didnt want to replace the wheels and tires i had just bought. would be nice if we could run the 10" wheels w/ 8" tires i have done it before. I dont see much of an advantgae if any on 10" or 8" wheels

Archived