USRA rule changer for 2007

bowtieguy

Are the supers going stay the same or are they going to make pervisions to make the perimeter chassis and the crate engines competitive again as well as take the pit stops away to cut down on cost and crew members. Will they try to cater to the local racers vs. out of state guys that have yet to come race at our fine est.

Are the trucks and modifieds going to allow quickchanges and what will change with the engine rules.

Will the tracks get together with the tire situation?

Ben Edgner

No rule changes are expected for the Modifieds and Trucks. I am looking at some weight issues with both classes. And some might need to refresh themselves with the current body rules listed.

As for the SLM, WE have said all along it would after the DERBY before anything is deceided.

Rick Day

210-827-4524

its a traveling series.

since when? no performance advantage?...............i can change my rear end in thirty minutes , and i've already got them, so does every other truck.............they are an abundance, and they are reliable. i could see tranny rules change before rear gear.

What upper touring class series of any kind would not offer the choice to run a QC. Hell UPM modifieds on dirt will let them run in 07. If you already have 3 to 5 rearends then just still run them but if you want the ability to change gears in about 5 min. a QC would be nice.

I dont know if any of the other truck series around the country allow them but we have already lost the ARTS deal so why not.

1st off ,WE didn't loose the arts deal , it was given away. 2nd off this is suppose to be an affordable starter class to the other non-touring series, not an upper class ............and 3rd off , it's a matter of keeping up with the jones'. if the guy next to me has it i'll make my self believe that i need it. we are all concerned with getting the counts in all classes up and yet people keep bardering for changes? what truck do either one of you own to deserve the right to invoke change of any kind?

- .................and i'll ask again , changing gears at the most twice a year would call for a rule change? GIVE ME A BREAK!

you wanna a rule? how 'bout sealed crate motors STAY sealed...........no re certifications no 'freshing up'.. if you don't trust em' sale em'.............there is a reason they are called SEALED.

I thougt the trucks only had about 3 or 4 different gear ratios they were allowed. I don't think a quick change would be worth it That stock metric rear end is so much lighter than all the others why not keep using that if your not having trouble with it.

A sealed engine is commonly referred to as the McGunegill 585 HP engine as used in the CRA series. Hamner is also now building a sealed engine to compete with McGunegill. These engines run about $16,500 complete.

The crates built by GM, Ford and Dodge are not built to where everything is at the maximum or minimum tolerances. Therefore, one may be 10 to 20 HP more or less than the rating. So if you want to be on the upside, a rebuild is necessary to insure that you are not the one down on HP. This is the biggest shock to most racers AFTER the rules are changed to allow or require crate engines. There are a limited number or rebuilders which somewhat eliminates competition. Also, the crates are not complete when devivered. (No carb, distributor, plugs/plugwires, water pump, externally balanced fly wheel, etc.) They do somewhat level the playing field from top to bottom on engines and make tech a little easier.

The jury is still out on the costs of the crates in the Late Models. Don’t really see much savings there, but the sealed 585 HP are a huge step in cost containment in the upper tier of racing.

So maybe a quickchange would be a great addition to the rules. It will allow one to be a little more precise in his gear selection relative to his HP. These guys making big noise that they are being out HP'd may only be a gear change away from being with them. You can have all of the HP in the world but a wrong gear will kill it. This would be another step to bring the competition closer if that is what you want.

No rule changes are expected for the Modifieds and Trucks. I am looking at some weight issues with both classes. And some might need to refresh themselves with the current body rules listed.

As for the SLM, WE have said all along it would after the DERBY before anything is deceided.

Rick Day

210-827-4524

I am sure that the some that might need to refresh the body rules comment is not directed towards us

Little or no changes is great And we dont need a quickchange rearend. As far as the crates go they are fine I am sure we will get em next year, we just need some chassis tuning after all we are driving the 10th truck built and is a little dated.

Matt, I am sure he wasnt refering to you :)

mudpacker- do you own an arts chassis? i apprecciated all you guys that are asking for exspensive change for our behalf ................when you don't own a truck.

the only shock we got on crate motors was ' terry barden commented at the 1st race in houston of 05 that our crate rule would be set up like a sealed crate motor rule. if the crush caps were removed from oil pan,heads, or intake than you might aswell find other things to do with that motor other than racing it in the usra.' ..............and in 06 that was not the rule anymore- that opens up alot of avenues.

but like i said, nothing i love more than people who don't have to invest in the opinion that they want inforced on others.

Crazyhorse

I have no dog in this hunt but I can tell you that a QC takes alot more power to pull.So if your still running the Chev. or ford rearend you have the advantage with the HP yall make. The other thing about cost is if your running a 9 inch floater if you wreck and and kill the rearend it's just as cheap to buy a quick change and the advantage there is that you can fix it in sections axle tube,center section etc. instead of buying a complete rearend.Just putting my 2 cents in this debate.

No truck team has a quick change fitted for a metric chassis ready to go.....at least that's my guess, and we all have either the Ford 9" or Chevy 10 bolt. We are allowed only a specified number of gears which none are custom made and all are readily available. I'm glad they're going to leave well enough alone. Thanks Rick :)

WE are NOT changing the rules for the QC or what ever in 2007, we will live with what we have. In my opinion we might want to do something with the transmissions. but once again its not broke, dont fix it and beside everybody has one.

Shawn Paul, I new nothing of the crush caps your talking about, would like to know more, I'll try and call you or call me.

As for the body rules that was directed to the Modifieds not the Trucks.

Rick Day

Hey Rick,

what about the option of running a powerglide in the Dodge vs the 904/727?

We have an extra powerglide out of one of our spec trucks. Our 904 is ok for now, not pushing seals out anymore;ok at least for now. But if we could run a powerglide it would certainly be better....

Thanks for all that you have been working on!!!!!!!

rusty, the 904 shelled i don't know how many front seals. thank the lord we dont have an oil down rule.

the glide is built and will withstand anything thrown at it! :D in all seriousness, we have been meaning to ask about running it just never did. it cost just about as much to find someone to rebuild a 904 right as it does to find someone to build a good glide once....

Archived