Allstate Texas Thunder 200 qualifying report

David Dusts Track Record

Modesto, Californias, Mike David in the Benntt Lane Winery, Siera Spring Water, David Race Products, Steve Levins Chassis, Ford Fusion, with Robert Yates horsepower, was one of three drivers to break the old track record held by Scott Gaylord. David's 15.001 was quickest of the 21 cars to take times. Duncan was second fastest only 4/1000 off David's time, with Holmes third at 15.027.

"It was a good lap," said David. "I didn't think it would be quite that fast. The guys did a great job and worked hard on the car and I put a good lap down. We didn't try to break the record, we worked on the car for long runs. They just did a phenominal job. It didn't feel that fast but when you have a great car that happens."

"It's an impound race so we can't change anything. We worked on long runs all day and just happened to be good in qualifying. I think we will be one of the cars to deal with tonight. It should be good and last."

"We have notes from last year and put down some rubber in practice which is probably why the speeds were faster than last year."

"Right now we're in the middle of a points battle so it's important to us to lead as many laps as we can and get those bonus points. So that's what we're going to try to do.

Everything felt good,” replied second quickest Mike Duncan. “I broke the tires loose on the last lap coming off (turn) 4. Otherwise I think we could have gotten the pole. It was a good lap overall and a good starting spot. I think we left about 1/10 out there because we were pretty sideways.”

“We have a little to prove from where we finished here last year. We had some problems and definitely want to improve our position. We always want to run good everywhere we go to represent the championship. We’re looking to maybe surprise some people at the end of the year.”

Points leader, Holmes who was first to break the record, but ended up third in qualifying stated, “We’ve been good in qualifying all year and getting bonus points is important as close the points are. We just have to go out and run our race and hope we can bring home a win tonight. We just went out and ran as fast as we could. I had no idea what the record was.”

“We’ve been first or second in qualifying for the last seven races, maybe this will change our luck and bring us a win.”

“We weren’t intending to run for a championship. We’re just going race by race and here we are leading with two to go. A lot of it’s consistency. You’ve got to be consistant. We’ve been on the brink of winning. I think our time is coming.”

“We’re just looking to get the first 100(laps) in, pit at halfway go the last 100. Hopefully we can lead some laps and come home with a win.”

Local driver turned promoter, Tavo Hellmund is one of two Texans in the field. In 2001 Hellmund won in his debut race on the road course in Mexico City and ran only a limited schedule in 2003 and 2004. The one and only start in 2005 was the inaugural Texas Thunder 200 where he finished 18th. Hellmund and partner, Aryn White are co-promoters for Full Throttle Productions, bringing the NASCAR Autozone West Series and USAC Midget Series to Thunder Hill Raceway. Hellmund would qualify 12th.

The second of the Texas twosome is a former TIDA and ROMCO Super Late Model campainger, Mark Schulz. From there Schulz moved into the ARCA and NASCAR Autozone West Series.Schulz then got away from racing for two years to concentrate on work and building a new shop. This is the first race back for Schulz after his hiatus. Schulz time was only good enough for 21st starting spot.

Archived