Longhorn Speedway

TPS18

we cant keep car counts up at one track hardly,,,,,,,let alone 2. ....and fans in the stands would be sparce at both because they could only afford one or the other.

it's a relic......it had it's time, and now it's done.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, if you want to know the truth, my heart still belongs to Longhorn! Many happy memories for so many people. It has just seen its time, <_< I have spent many hours walking and talking to two of the previous owners, just too much to bring it back, then just before my venture with THR, it could have nearly been, again the facilities are so run down. My heart skips a beat every time I drive by it too. I loved watching the racing action on that track and racing on it! ;)

Mary Ann - I grew up at Pan Am and Austin Speed-O-Rama....those were the best times of racing. Today, in Eau Claire, Wi, I'm just now introducing racing to my seven year old twins (boy / girl). I love racing and someday would be interested in owning / promoting a dirt track in Wisconsin (Wissota Sanctioned). Any advice for someone who wants to spread the love of racing......?

Who cares anyway, you can't take the money with you when your dead and gone. Besides, look at how we all talk about Austin Speed-O-Rama, Paramount Speedway, Longhorn Speedway. It wasn't that you made all kinds of money; you made made friends and memories that last a life time. If anyone wants to put up the money, you can count me in to operate the track.

Longhorn Speedway...........I think i was probably born there. Dad ran there every saturday night. I still go in the video cabinet and get old tapes out of him running the 77, 71, super stocks, 91, 52 TIDA, cars man i can watch them things for hours. Its almost like watching races at martinsville or bristol there is always something going on. This place was also the place i learned to drive, street cars and racecars so it is home to me. I dont think i could say until last year that i really liked a track so much, Its a toss up between longhorn and SAS for me now only becuase we race at SAS more now. If i could only win the Lottery, i would re-open that place and have a few old time racers manage it for me. ---thats a promise too IF I WIN

J.C Umscheid

J.C. - I'm putting together some racing historical data for my family back in San Antonio (we were heavily involved with Bubba Storbeck and Leroy Brooks). I am in dire sraits of ANY video at Pan AM or at Austin (i.e. Paramount Speedway, Speed-O-Rama or Longhorn Speedway). Would you consider making copies and sending me what you have? I'd be willing to pay for copies. Please contact me at 715.829.8386 (my cell) if you'd be willing to acommodate.

• 1 month later...
Txtom,

I was told HEB held an option to buy the place for a good many years, but never exercised it before the option expired.

On another note, as mentioned on another thread, I probably hold the distinction on here of being the first to ever turn a lap there ............... at 11 years old, as a passenger in my dad's car ...................... in the late winter/early spring of 1960, brand spanking new, just before the track's first ever opening race.

Txtom, who's yur daddy??? :rolleyes: I was still really young then but I was there that day also.

Was you there the night Laybourn dove out in a school bus for the destruction derby? What a hoot!!!! They didn't let him compete. BOOOO!!!! But it was really funny. :D

Was just wondering if anyone knew if and when Longhorn was going to open back up. Sure would hate to see it end up like so many other tracks that have gone away and never returned.

If you've driven by the old race track, you'll notice the "FOR SALE of LEASE" sign is gone. Haven't heard what's going on with it. I doubt it will ever open again. Kyle has just about taken over because it's a 3/8 mile.

Well, if you want to know the truth, my heart still belongs to Longhorn! Many happy memories for so many people. It has just seen its time, <_< I have spent many hours walking and talking to two of the previous owners, just too much to bring it back, then just before my venture with THR, it could have nearly been, again the facilities are so run down. My heart skips a beat every time I drive by it too. I loved watching the racing action on that track and racing on it! ;)

HEY, MARY ANN!!!! Mona here. Havaen't seen you in a while!!!! Course, I don't go racing anymore. Done got too old. Seen Leroy a couple of weeks ago for his Birthday. Told him he has to stop haveing them because every time he has one, I have one too.

Man, seeing the picture of Charlie Koen and the group sure did breing back some really good memories!! I hear Race is driving a dump truck now. Go figure.

Archived