Longhorn Speedway

TPS18

Sounds like it was a nice track. I've never been there. I've never even seen any other tracks besides SAS and THR. Take that back, I've been to Red River once, as a spectator though. But by the way y'all describe the track, I would say that's how I feel about SAS. I pray that that track never closes. SAS is my Daytona.

Adam,

Your probably too young to remember Longhorn, but "Nice" can be used to describe the managers or owners of the track. Not the track. The track was one tough lady. You gained a lot of respect for the folks that raced there succesfully. I prefer to describe the track as having a lot of "Character". It was a lot of fun though! :)

Mel

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds like it was a nice track. I've never been there. I've never even seen any other tracks besides SAS and THR. Take that back, I've been to Red River once, as a spectator though. But by the way y'all describe the track, I would say that's how I feel about SAS. I pray that that track never closes. SAS is my Daytona.

Adam,

Your probably too young to remember Longhorn, but "Nice" can be used to describe the managers or owners of the track. Not the track. The track was one tough lady. You gained a lot of respect for the folks that raced there succesfully. I prefer to describe the track as having a lot of "Character". It was a lot of fun though! :)

Mel

I'm 17, and like I said, I've never even been there. My age may be why, but I don't know. It's the same thing with Pan-Am. I never saw the track (of course it closed before I was ever thought of), but my dad talks about it a lot. And he wasn't even a racer.

longhorn was something else...................but now its gone.

sure wish it generated this much support while it exsisted , then it still would.

it was never hard to drive , every place else was just easier.

Longhorn Speedway...........I think i was probably born there. Dad ran there every saturday night. I still go in the video cabinet and get old tapes out of him running the 77, 71, super stocks, 91, 52 TIDA, cars man i can watch them things for hours. Its almost like watching races at martinsville or bristol there is always something going on. This place was also the place i learned to drive, street cars and racecars so it is home to me. I dont think i could say until last year that i really liked a track so much, Its a toss up between longhorn and SAS for me now only becuase we race at SAS more now. If i could only win the Lottery, i would re-open that place and have a few old time racers manage it for me. ---thats a promise too IF I WIN

J.C Umscheid

That was something that Ricky Jenkins always said he would do if he won the lottery. Now he is in heaven running Longhorn. Lots of memories there. David Upsheid was one of the best, Jimmy Meredith, Danny Bynum, Robert Walton, Calvin Cantwell, Terry James and many others. God Bless us all. Hope someday it will come alive again. I go by there alll the time and it is such a shame to see it not alive.

Take care everyone and keep the memories going. I have a bunch of video tapes of races at Longhorn. Watch them often.

Maryann races there too. Cheryl James

hey dont for get whjen i flipped my car and came back to finish forth in the same race. longhorn is my home and will always be my home. many night after the races all the drivers and fans would came in the pits and have fun talking about the night of racin if good or baad. the next week it was rhe some thing. i miss the place where i cut my teeth in racing. i wish by GODS good grace there will be somebody come along and open it up. i would build another car and be the first one on the to lay the rubber down on the fastest 1/4 teck in thr state of texas.

God bless LONGHORN SPEEDWAY for all the memorys and the ones still to come.

terriable tim sowell

ps i would bring back BIG JIM the best in the business

Crazyhorse should know...it pushed him around the track every week...lol

1st step in winning a championship is 'don't push em , pass em.'

• 1 month later...

maybe we could all clean up the track and use it for practice. I have been told that if you could get a car to handle there, you could run any track in Texas.

does anyone know who owns the track, or how to find out ?

• 7 months later...
Does anyone remember me (Randy Larsen) rolling over my #53 "Herbie" bug on the front straightaway,the track cornerworkers rolling it back over on its wheels and I was able to get it started and come from the back of the field to take 5th place,I had to beat the roof upward to keep it off my helmet,man that was an incredible race, Longhorn was always a blast................ :D ...........Or does anyone remember my brother Glen Larsen rolling his bug the #8 car on the front straightaway and going end over end finally stopping in the infield,he climbed out without a scratch,it was tagged as the worst wreck in Pro Sedan History untill the wreck of Candy Hogan,Donnie Moore,and Ozzy at Thunderhill...........does anyone remember seeing these.........Randy

I always think of the time the guy jumped the motorbike ramp to ramp over some racecars and stuffed the front wheel.I can still see him flippin, floppin and slidin down that ramp.It was entertaining,I havent forgot it,and that was about 30 years ago.

I was there that night too. That ol' boy miraculously got to his feet and grabbed a beer from a spectator who had run out on the track to his attention and guzzled it. I was at the pit exit on 3 and could'nt believe my eyes! Those were the best times of my life. I can remember leaving the track at intermission and running across the interstate to the old U-tot-em to go buy myself a 40 oz beer, chug it, and be back at the track in time for the next race. My twin brother and myself were probably only 14 or 15 years old at the time and life long fans of Leroy Brooks.

Txtom,

I was told HEB held an option to buy the place for a good many years, but never exercised it before the option expired.

On another note, as mentioned on another thread, I probably hold the distinction on here of being the first to ever turn a lap there ............... at 11 years old, as a passenger in my dad's car ...................... in the late winter/early spring of 1960, brand spanking new, just before the track's first ever opening race.

I shot this photo in the early 80s. I was taking photography at UTSA and was fooling around with black and white film. To me, this is what the place was all about.

The #40 is Charlie Koen, #48 is David Umschied, #49 Keith Riethmeyer, and the #99 is John Foster.

longhorn.jpg

Well, if you want to know the truth, my heart still belongs to Longhorn! Many happy memories for so many people. It has just seen its time, <_< I have spent many hours walking and talking to two of the previous owners, just too much to bring it back, then just before my venture with THR, it could have nearly been, again the facilities are so run down. My heart skips a beat every time I drive by it too. I loved watching the racing action on that track and racing on it! ;)

it would be great to have it back and running on fridays. then it could be more like the past people could run longhorn on friday and thr on saturday. If we really want it back then maybe we could help the owners bring it back.

Archived