Spreen grabs third place at SAS

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

September 16, 2006

Spreen grabs third place at SAS

Dillon Spreen, the 12-year-old driver from Boerne, may be close to winning the 2006 Lonestar Legacys championship, but he takes the series’ non-points races as serious as he does the points races.

Spreen qualified second and finished third at the Legacys’ race Saturday (Sept. 9) at San Antonio Speedway (SAS). It’s the first time the 12-year-old has run the half-mile track at SAS.

“I thought it was a fun race,” said Spreen, who finished third to Jeff Weir and James Lee. “The track wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be.”

“He didn’t think SAS was any harder than any of the other tracks,” Spreen Race Team co-owner Greg Spreen stated. “He liked it; he got out there and he found his line right away. He was up to speed right away. He seemed to pick up the track in no time…we were very impressed with how well Dillon picked up the track.”

The Spreens used a new engine in the #81 South Bay/Spreen Racing Engines Chevrolet Monte Carlo. “We got some practice in on Friday and did enough to break the motor in and get two good practice sessions. Dillon was running in the mid-22s..the new engine worked great. Dillon said it was great to be able to catch cars down the straight.”

After qualifying second for the feature, Spreen was among the top three cars that “dominated” the race. Spreen, however, couldn’t find his way around James Lee for second place to challenge Weir for the checkered flag.

“We worked on James Lee forever,” chuckled Cherie Spreen, Spreen Race Team co-owner. “James (Lee) and Jeff (Weir) were banging on each other. I was worried Dillon would get caught up in it with nowhere to go. When Trey Mitchell spun by himself, Dillon was third on restart. He just couldn’t get past James – every time Dillon got a run on him, James found way to keep Dillon from passing.”

Dillon Spreen added, “It was tough getting around (James Lee). I didn’t want to hit him and take both of us out. I may have been driving into the turn too low. Considering this was a non-points race; I didn’t want to push the issue and total the car for the last race of the season.”

Speaking of that last race – which comes up Oct. 28 at the Texas Stock Car Spectacular at Thunder Hill Raceway (Kyle, TX) – Spreen said, “I want to go out there and win. I don’t want to just go out to run it, I want to go out and win it.”

Information about Dillon Spreen can be found at the Spreen Racing Team web site, www.dillonspreen.com.

Dillon Spreen To Date:

Hometown: Boerne (TX)

2006 Lone Star Legacys points leader: 739 points, leads Jake Kruger (-52), Jeff Weir (-68).

Top-5 finishes: 10 (out of 12 races; includes season-best 2nd-place finish, six times)

Top-10 finishes: 11

Poles: 2 (TWS, Aug. 5 & Aug. 6)

Track records: 2 (TWS, Aug. 5 & 6)

2005: Finished 5th in Lonestar Legacys series

Next race: Saturday, Oct. 28 at the Texas Stock Car Spectacular at Thunder Hill Raceway

Archived