Is This Cheating?

marc200mph

Issue with #29 and #31 cars after race at NHIS: FoxSports/Speed's Bob Dilner reports: have learned that there was an issue with the winning car of #29-Kevin Harvick and also his teammate, #31-Jeff Burton, in postrace tech [at New Hampshire Intl Speedway in the Cup race]. That issue surrounded the actual [wheel] rim of the race car. The team apparently manipulated that rim to act as a bleeder valve to release air pressure from that rim. In English, it was performance advantage for the RCR team. Now, it was not against anything in the rule book so there won't be any fines or points penalties later on this week, but they have been told not to do it again.(more at Link to Fox Sports)(9-18-2006)

Marc

Now that an unwritten rule has been broken, I bet there will be a new rule added to the rule book, if not this year, next!

I was told one time by a promoter, "If it is not in the rule book, don't do it!" Right!

I know the rule says no bleeder valves? But you know NASCAR come back will be it meant no automatic air pressure adjusting of any kind, closed system. (tire & Wheel)

Hmmmmmm. The Hendrick 48 rear shock package was not illegal right up until the point that they changed the rule midstream and then it was. Same thing will happen here.

I know that some tires were confiscated earlier this year when they were looking for micro holes drilled thru the carcas.

Afterward they said (in effect) "no messing with the tire". So the racers started in on the rims. I'm suprised because it's a visible kind of thing (dismounted). My first thought would be to come up with a controlled leak built into a standard looking schrader valve in the valve stem. There's some deniability there.

"Mr. Darby,Sir, I've had new schrader valves fail on my pickup."

JMO

Jay

This is a dumb question but what does bleeding the tires during a race acomplish as far as performance?? Wouldnt it eventually go flat? Or does it help the tires as you go and get them hot to bleed off some of the air? I just don't get it...

Give that team an A for creativity though..

The plot thickens!

NASCAR denies Speed TV report on Harvick, Burton

By JIM UTTER

jutter@charlotteobserver.com

NASCAR vice president Jim Hunter on Monday called a Speed TV report claiming the sanctioning body found issues with the cars of Nextel Cup Series winner Kevin Harvick or his Richard Childress Racing teammate Jeff Burton "sheer fantasy."

Speed TV reporter Bob Dillner reported late Sunday at New Hampshire that NASCAR officials had an issue with the wheel rims of both Harvick and Burtons' Chevrolets.

In the report, Dillner said, "The team apparently manipulated that rim to act as a bleeder valve to release air pressure from that rim. In English, it was performance advantage for the RCR team."

Dillner went on to say the teams didn't break any rule, but "have been told not to do it again."

Both NASCAR and RCR officials on Monday strongly denied the story.

Hunter denied anyone with either team was admonished about any questionable part and said both cars "completely passed post race inspection." NASCAR officials Sunday night also announced all cars had passed post race inspection.

RCR spokesman David Hart also denied either team had been directed by NASCAR not to bring a questionable part back to the race track.

Hunter said Dillner did not ask anyone with NASCAR about the issue before his report aired. "If he had, we would have told him the same thing," Hunter said.

"He didn't ask because he didn't want to know the answer. It was an example of sensational journalism at its worst."

Email and voice mail messages left with Speed Channel officials were not immediately returned Monday afternoon.

It will be interesting to see whether Dillner will be issued NASCAR press credentials to future Cup events.

A long, long time ago when I was working for the SA Light, I took exception to the speeds NA$CAR permitted on pit road (before the pit road speed limit) in one or two of my weekly motorsports columns. Mysteriously, I was not longer issued press credentials to Cup events after that.

In the old days, NA$CAR kept tight control over what was said about NASCAR in the mainstream media. Well, at least until NA$CAR tried to lock out a Sports Illustrated reporter (can't remember his name, can you?) not so very long ago. The crap hit the fan and the SI reporter won.

Nick

NA$CAR

I see this is catching on quickly. I knew I should have copyrighted it. DAMN!

I'll bet we don't see Bob at any more NA$CAR events.

I'd file it under cheating if it was obvious that the rim was manipulated.

But that's just my opinion.

knight, to answer your question an air bleeder helps keep tire pressure stable. The more air a tire builds from heat, the more it grows. The more it grows, the more the stagger changes. Therefore if you have a constant pressure your set up is more consistant.....ergo, a performance advantage.

Jay,it's still on in Dallas this coming weekend at Hank Haney's City Pointe on Stemmons and 635.Leaving Saturday morning to watch the Open Division.I dont have to hit till 2nd round Sunday in the Senior Division.Stomachs already starting to flutter and I got 6 more days.

I am out of the city until Friday night. Our golf course is growing in new fairways (419) and greens (Champions) and will not reopen until 10/1 so I can get away from the golf club for the afternoon. I'll roll over there to see if you can get one out onto 635 Airport extension.

Jay

We going to give it a shot for sure,just hope it goes long,straight and in the grid.I'll probably be wearing a red shirt with Dynamic Golf on the front and back and red DG hat unless some different deal comes up before hitting time Sunday.Longdrivers are as bad as racecar drivers.You got sponsors,wear their stuff.In our case,companies trying to get new clubs on the market,we here the "We'll pay you to swing this ".

Archived