The Last Generation of PAS Super Stocks

texasprd

Another post (Austin photos - late 70s) finally got me moving and thinking a bit - I love all the pictures from PAS, but until that thread popped up, I hadn't seen any pictures of the last generation of PAS Super Stocks (if that's what they were still called). These were cars that looked somewhat like the Modifieds running in the North East at the time. I remember Harold Oatman, Ricci Ware Jr., and Donny Horelka (I think he was just getting started at that level) running these cars - there were of course, others, but I can't remember any other names. So, anyone who has pictures and names from this last generation of PAS Super Stocks, please post 'em on this thread.

I'll start it off with this picture of Harold's car - my brother "Bobby" has been waiting to see it, so here goes:

They were actualy the Super Stock cars (or the late models of that era) with the front fenders taken off.

Besides the names you mentioned, you can add Pat lane, Lucian Wallace, I think Gary Mahoney may have run his car this way, and there were a couple others. If I remember correctly, this was only in the 1978 season, the last season of Pan American.

As for Donny Horelka, you probably remember his dad Paul running there, Donny never did. He wasn't 10 years old when the track closed.(He is only 38 years old right now.) Also Tex Horn, who ran with Paul for years.

I may have access to some of the pictures you want to see; I just gotta make time to go get them. (In the middle of a major house remodel project)

Well, that seems to have started poorly - after much work to get the picture to a usable size and format, and following the instructions Nick posted on the Texas Auto Racing forum, the picture appears not to have loaded. Now what???

This is my first attempt at posting a picture, so I hope you'll all have patience!

Well, that seems to have started poorly - after much work to get the picture to a usable size and format, and following the instructions Nick posted on the Texas Auto Racing forum, the picture appears not to have loaded. Now what???

This is my first attempt at posting a picture, so I hope you'll all have patience!

Send me the pic and I will try to figure out why it didn't post. Send me an email with the photo attached. cnholt@sbcglobal.net

Thanks.

Nick

TxTom, thanks for straightening me out on Paul Horelka, vs. Donny Horelka. I was just a teenager (14 or 15) myself at the time - I remember the Horelka name and must have assumed it was Donny after seeing him race later. And I do remember the name Tex Horn, now that you mention it. Funny how much can come back into your memory with the slightest jog...

Budman, Nick, others - thanks for your help on getting the photo straightened out. Please let me know if I need to re-do anything.

I do have more photos from this era as well, in fact, my postings to date probably are about 10-15 percent of my collection of PAS, Austin and TWS photos. Time is a problem right now, but things should let up soon where I can get more of these posted.

• 10 months later...

Archived