Final 2006 I-37 Race results

NickHolt

I-37 Speedway Race Recap – Sept. 1, 2006

THE FINAL RACE OF THE 2006 SEASON DECIDED THE TRACK CHAMPIONSHIP IN TWO CLASSES

by Bill Morris

Going into the final Super Stock event of the season, Somerset’s Howie Marx was leading the season points race by a scant two points ahead of Elmendorf’s Gary Hunter. Marx moved to the feature lead on lap eight from his 5th starting position, but disaster for Marx struck when a bumping accident cut his tire. A quick trip to the pits to change tires put him to the rear of the field but he was unable to gain enough positions to recapture the point lead. Hunter finished the evening by capturing the checkered flag on his way to the season point title. Following Hunter to the finish line was Poteet’s Abe Mares Jr. Marx had to settle for third place in the final feature results.

In Pure Stock action Abe Mares IV capture another win ahead of Boerne’s Robert Danielson and San Antonio’s Robert Williams. A fourth place finish assured Devin Adler of the 2006 Track Championship in the Pure Stock division. Going into the final night of racing, Three Rivers’ driver Sean Terry was in a position to challenge Adler. Early mechanical problems in the feature event sent Terry to the pits and ended any chance at him overtaking Adler for the season’s top honors.

An unopposed Mike Finkel earned the 2006 track Championship in the IMCA Sports Mod division.

The Texas Outlaw Modified feature event was won by Elmendorf’s Brian Shaw, that he inherited on lap two when Pleasanton’ s Jim Kennett suffered an engine fire and had to pull into the infield. Following Shaw to victory lane was his father Herb Shaw, San Antonio’s Gary Gyolia rounded out the top three finishers.

The final event for the season was the IMCA Modified feature. It could best be described as something between an endurance race and a demolition derby. It took two tries to get the event started, but with only one lap in the book the yellow waved again and the restart took at least four more tries to restart the event. In the attempt to complete lap two, three cars tangled and went “over the hill” going into turn three. This ended the night for San Antonio’s Marlin Samford. Before the race could be restarted Center Point’s Bob Leinweber made a right turn into the front straight retaining wall, sending him to the pits. On lap 7, Corpus Christi’s Bill Pittaway moved to the front to take top honors in the shortened event. Pittaway’s feature win was appropriate as he was leading the 2006 point standings for the Modifieds going into the final event, and the final checkered flag was the perfect ending to the season. Rounding out the top three in the Mod feature event was Aransas Pass driver Steve Grantz in second and Randy Yount of Boerne finishing third.

Fans and drivers are referred to the I-37 website to keep up on racing news during the off-season. Check out www.I-37Speedway.com

Archived