Dq's

abrungot

ok well are stud girdles a performance factor or an engine longevity factor it is kinda like the roller tip rockers they are an engine longevity factor according to chase in another thread and if i remember correctly they (stud girdles) used to be allowed in street stocks of course i could be wrong would not be the first time but i dont think that they give you the extra horsepower of roller tips or cut heads or windage trays or crank scrapers i dont think it says you can run those but how many of you are running them or even 1.6 rockers personally i think that is a bogus bust and should have been disregarded

Since Aaron is ok then I will comment on the #31 DQ. I also feel it is crap to be DQ ed for stud girdels, they just provide longevity nothing to do with performance. I have not read the street stock rules but that just seems to be going out on a limb to DQ someone, everyone has to agree that they did not help the car perform .001 of a second faster .Just my .02

Stud girdles do improve longivity. They help prevent rocker arm studs from breaking, because they are tied together through the girdle. They also increase performance by reducing the rocker arm studs from 'flexing', which allows more accurate valve opening and closing. If they're legal...I'd personally recommend a 7/16th rocker arm and studs. They have less flexing than the 3/8ths stud...since the girdles are not allowed.

Tommy

ok well are stud girdles a performance factor or an engine longevity factor it is kinda like the roller tip rockers they are an engine longevity factor according to chase in another thread and if i remember correctly they (stud girdles) used to be allowed in street stocks of course i could be wrong would not be the first time but i dont think that they give you the extra horsepower of roller tips or cut heads or windage trays or crank scrapers i dont think it says you can run those but how many of you are running them or even 1.6 rockers personally i think that is a bogus bust and should have been disregarded

Stan brings up a good point about parts on these motors that are not mentioned in the rules. It's a tough call for any tech man to make, I think. I'm not even completely sure how I feel about it as a competitor. At first, I though the stud girdles were an easy obvious DQ when THR31 made his post. I think the main reason for that is that I've neve seen a stud girdle on a SS car, and I'm sure they used be banned specifically in the rules, but maybe not.

Just a few of the things that I've seen on cars that aren't mentioned in the rules: windage trays, valley pans, oil deflectors over the rockers, and the list goes on. However, with the variety of parts like these on the market, the rules can't possibly list everything by name. The rule book would take a ream of paper if it did that. I think the best bet is to ask before you decide to add something that is not a "stock" part or something that is not specifically mentioned in the rules. Unfortunately, sometimes we all learn something new when one of us gets DQed. This time, David was the guinea pig. It does suck to see a good season end with a DQ. He'll still be lightening fast with or without the stud girdles.

ok i could be wrong but i am pretty sure that david didnt have stud girdles on his car to set the track record but that is beside the point if it is an engine component that is performance minded then yes especially if it is not in the rules ok yea you caught me big woop that is a chance you take but when it is something that gives you less than maybe a 1/2 hp on a dyno then well maybe let it slide and i no "well when you get 10 things that give you a 1/2 hp well thats an extra 5 hp" well good for you if you get it then you have done your homework and probably deserve it but you dont dq someone over trying to make their engine last a little bit longer especially over something as little as this and ESPECIALLY with engine costs today yes chase i no people can build a street stock motor for 400 dollars but honestly besides jim teague who is doing that i am not trying to bash anybody or start any arguments but this dq was bogus and uncalled for like i said before not a performance factor lemme ask this did jack bust him before he pulled his heads or after? and chase i am not trying to argue with you i am just saying and thank you for the vote on this one

ok i could be wrong but i am pretty sure that david didnt have stud girdles on his car to set the track record

Stan, it was the other David (Hassinger) that set the new track record.

I wasn't really logging a vote either way. I'm just saying it would be safest to call Jack before installing any questionable part, but I understand the unwritten rule argument also. It's a tough one to call.

Archived