Multi-track Champions

Budman

i'm sure there are a few .....................but i remember terry brooks @sas and speedorama or longhorn in 1985? really admired him in the red 02 , until i got to race against him.

hopefully between HMP and THR someone will have the chance next season.

Does anybody remember a driver ever winning championships at two tracks in the same year?

Buddy,

Back in the days when Speedorama/Longhorn ran Friday nights, there were several instances of drivers doubling up.

Some examples that come to mind quickly:

Freddy Fryar, Hwy 16/Longhorn, 1978

Slick Yoemans Corpus Christi/Longhorn 1981&1982

Glen Schwabe Longhorn/Pan Am 1974 I think

I think Leroy Brooks did the same in 1975, But I am not sure.

Like 'Horse said, Terry Brooks doubled up in either '83 or '84.

I'll look around for some data, But I am sure this is nowhere a complete listing

No real chance of doing it these days, due to the number of tracks and they are all on Saturday nights except for Wichita Falls.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
in '73 dad ran both PAS & Austin. He won his division at PAS, not in Austin, but won the "Central Texas Championship" which took points from both tracks. Maybe txtom can elaborate on this

That was kind of an incentive to get drivers to support both of Ricci Ware's track. Pan-Am and Paramount Austin.

Pan American received a lot of support from non-San Antonio racers, especially from the Austin area.

Austin got good support from San Antonio, but not nearly as much as Pan Am did. Probably the biggest factor was simply having to work on Fridays. Others chose to only run one track for whatever reason.

So Austin and Pan Am each had their own track championships, and the Central Texas Championship was a combination of points from both tracks to reward the racers who made both tracks on a weekly or regular basis.

I would say it has something to do with the schedules. I would say the next thing would be no incentive for THR cars to run at SAS and the same for SAS cars. Maybe if the tracks and promoters got together and could come up with a South Texas Champion and put some money behind it. It could draw the top runners and even some racers who think they have a chance. It could benefit the local tracks and the racers. I don't have a dog in any fight, it is just my thought.

Archived