?NEW SERIES?

hray

I want to throw out an idea. What if we started a dirt road race series that raced in the winter months (say October - March)? Here's my idea:

We build a 1.5 to 2.0 mile track in the San Antonio/Austin area. It would be a road race track with maybe 10 - 12 turns following the lay of the land. The cars would be "spec cars". All the chassis and suspensions would be the same, but driver could choose spring/shock combinations and could build his own motor to a motor rule(360 CID), 9" rear, auto or manual etc. Bodies would be modified type and tire would be a good dirt type like the sport mod 500 tire. Cars would have 2 seats for a navigator/passenger. Target would be to be able to build a complete car with all new parts for $12,000 - $15,000; less using some used parts.

Again, I'm floating this to see if there is any interest. If there is, we'll probably build a prototype this winter and run it on some SCCA courses to test the concept.

I don't know if this is a vision or a nightmare. I may be loosing my mind!

Rusty

Sounds very interesting. The idea is really a throw-back to many years ago. The "race season" in Texas was from the first of January through the end of the following December. They "took off" the months of July and August because it was too hot to race then. All the tracks were dirt then.

A lot of guys would come to Texas from up north to race because they couldn't race up there in the winter. That's why you would have guys like Tony Bentenhausen racing midgets in San Antonio during the winter.

Several years back IMCA had a winter series of sorts called the Icebreaker Series. Car count varied from fair to poor, because many guys were spending the winter rebuilding. Certainly that's apples to oranges versus a road series.....but just some info.

How about a showroom stock class for my 'Stang? Guess that would void my insurance though. LMAO :lol:

Archived