A-arm mounts ripping out in SLMs

NickHolt

I've heard of and seen a few top rear trailing arm mounts ripping away from the roll cage/bracing before, but I hadn't ever seen the top front a-arm mounts ripping out until both Chris Davidson's left front upper a-arm mount ripped out a couple of weeks ago and Greg Davidson's right front upper a-arm mount ripped out last Saturday. Both at San Antonio Speedway.

I understand that both chassis were made by the same builder.

Wonder what's going on...

Nick Holt

You know I heard on speed channel last night one of the Nascar guys saying something about setup on the right front involving spring binding and cuasing damage to right front on the nextel cars... I wonder if it could be simular on the SLM's... I am no expert but sounds like problems are simular of course I have no clue how close those chassis are to the local SLM chassis but thought I would share that

You know I heard on speed channel last night one of the Nascar guys saying something about setup on the right front involving spring binding and cuasing damage to right front on the nextel cars... I wonder if it could be simular on the SLM's... I am no expert but sounds like problems are simular of course I have no clue how close those chassis are to the local SLM chassis but thought I would share that

Yes, a lot of teams that are able to take advantage of the aero effects built into their bodies use an extreme setup (the popular big bar/soft spring setup) to gain that advantage.

The BB/ss setups may employ pro-dive in the left front and anti-dive in the right front (both of which produce suspension bind) to help keep the nose level and next to the ground as they go through the turns. And many of the teams either allow coil bind to take place in the front springs and/or run on rubber suspension stops to prevent the nose from actually digging into the pavement.

But neither of these conditions should be enough to rip out the upper a-arm mounts on a well-made chassis.

Nick Holt

Any photos at all to look at?

I didn't take any. Don't know if Greg or Chris did either.

But I did not inspect the damage since I was interviewing drivers for a race report and not part of the Tech Team either night.

Are SLM a-arm mounts ripping off in other parts of the country like these two did?

Nick Holt

Nick you know we cant release any info your direction that may further educate you to teach in your classes or give to any other competitor. Didnt you once tell Mr. Jetter that I have taken the BB/ SS set up to an extreme. Well, others have taken it even farther.

I got a good look at Greg's mount but it was only glancing and during the race... Probrobly should have taken a picture of it but it seem like it was broke at the welds...

Wonder if there has been any other issues with GARC cars. I imagine there are plenty of tracks that put more strain and g-forces on those parts of the cars...

You can probably rule out suspension bind cuz it seems to me if the susp. was binding that the lowers would be the ones taking the load unless of course the uppers were hitting something in the way as they traveled up causing them to bind(i havent seen there upper mounts so just a guess). I would venture to say since both cars came out of the same shop it is probably the weld job, perhaps bad rods or poor shielding gas or a no. of other things that can go wrong when welding with a machine that has gone bad. I would check every weld that has been made on that set of cars. Something is definately not right. jmo

My guess is suspension bind is probably what did it. On a coil over car the shock & spring is all the way out @ the ball joint & the lower control arms are all 3/4" heims & rods & attach to the cross member in front & I think about 1 1/2" or 1 3/4" tubing is what the strut attaches to. All that being said & the coil being bound it now makes a solid triangle all of which have very strong mounts. Now the upper a-arm on a GARC is mounted to the chassis with a 3/8" thick upper a-arm mount supported by 2 small 1/8" thick gussets. If the lower suspension is bound then all the forces will be put on the upper a-arm trying to push the upper twards the center of the car. With the SSBB set-ups they put alot of forces on the front suspension. With the cup cars they are big springs and the place that they brake is between the spring and the ball joint on the lower, too much leverage and not enough beef. JMO but it's racing so who knows.

Archived