I-37 race recap for 8/18/06

rebelracewriter

THE RACING ACTION AND THE WEATHER WERE BOTH HOT ON FRIDAY ..by Bill Morris

I-37 race fans again enjoyed an evening of close racing and exciting finishes. Highlighting the evening was the Pure Stock 20 lap main event. The action started on the first lap when Lavernia’s J. Harley Helton and Boerne’s Robert Danielson came together exiting turn two. Both spun off the back straight with Helton rolling his racer down the embankment. That was the end of the evening for Helton, but Danielson was able to re-start and get back in the event. From his starting spot, outside the second row, Oak Island driver Justin Henley went to the front on the first lap and was able to lead the field until the final turn of the last lap when Poteet’s Abe Mares the IV, who started outside the 6th row, drove around Henley and collected the checkered flag. Rounding out the top finishers in the Pure Stock main event were the Terry Brothers, racing out of Three Rivers; Brian taking third place honors followed by Sean.

In the Sport Modified Division, Inez’s Max Helms took over first place on lap #6 and led the field to the finish line in the 12 lap main event. Following Helms to the checkered flag was Pleasanton’s Mike Finkel who inherited the runner-up spot when Cibolo’s Darren Swatsenberg lost control and spun on the final lap.

It didn’t take long for the results of the Texas Outlaw Modifieds Main event to be decided when San Antonio’s Chris Snocker took over the lead on lap # 2 and held off Elmendorf’s Larry Shaw and San Antonio’s Gary Gyolia for the top three finishing positions.

The 20 lap main for the IMCA Modifieds was won for the second time in as many events by Karnes City’s Shawn O’Bannon. O’Bannon moved to the front when defending Track Champion Micky Helms, racing out of Inez, forfeited the lead by spinning into an infield tire barrier on lap #17. Following O’Bannon to the winner’s circle was Boerne’s Randy Yount and San Antonio’s Marlin Samford.

In other stock car action, Poteet’s Abe Mares Jr. put on a driving clinic during the 20 lap Super Stock main event. Starting next to last when the green flag flew, Mares moved through the field, and on lap #9 moved to the top spot and continued to pull away for the remaining laps. Rounding out the top three in the main event was Pleasanton’s Dennis Hilla in second, followed by Elmendorf’s Gary Hunter in third.

The I-37 Speedway will offer one more night of exciting dirt track racing when they present the final race of the 2006 season on September 1st. Make plans now to join Central Texas racing fans for some extra Labor Day Weekend excitement.

Yount TOO Man Congrats of 2nd place . I did great in Colorado Beat the points leader and most main winner in qualifing b main got alot of awareness for my brothers car he just needed someone to really drive the car aggresssively and I did that. See ya soon Randy Yount Too Man

Archived