San Antonio Speedway Special Sportman/SS Race

Rick Day

San Antonio Speedway CEO Terry Dickerson and President Rick Day announced today a special race for Sportsman / Street Stock Type Cars. The event will feature a $5,000.00 purse and will pay $1,500.00 to win.

WE will release the date and rules of the event in the next few days. The rules will be very simular to the rules of Octoberfast so everyone will be able to compete with only minor if any changes.

Stay tuned to Texas Speed Zone or San Antonio Speedway.com for all the updates for this exciting event. Or you can contact the Speedway office at 210-628-1499.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

for give me if i'm wrong but should'nt this race be set up as octoberfast?

octoberfast has always been 'the special race'. every year it looses a little more thunder because of a special race.

Guest bigfat

Turned out to be A LOT less. But it wouldn't stop us from going again.......

Crazy,

They can just call it Oktoberfast I and Oktoberfat II. But with it only being Sportsmans and Street Stocks, it won't have the same 2 days of races set up that Oktoberfast does. JMHO.

I dont know if the format has been decided on for this race yet, but I have an idea that I think would make it a pretty good and interesting race. Not saying its how it has to be, just an opinion.

I say run 75 laps. Qualify, maybe invert up to 6 cars. Run the first 50 laps then have a competition yellow/ 10 minute break. After these first 50 laps, let guys refuel if needed and make adjustments, and depending on how many cars show up, only the top 10-15 advance to the last 25 lap segment. During the break, have the leader at the time draw for an invert. Invert could be none at all, 4, 6, 8, or 10 cars. If a 10 is drawn for the invert, and the leader can come back and win it, maybe offer a $500 bonus. Or even give the leader the option to drop to the back on his own for the last 25 laps for the chance at the $500. I think it would make for a good race.

I'm sure some will say 75 laps is too much, will burn too much fuel, or just flat out get too tired, but its racing, its not cheap, its not easy. JMO

Agree on qualifying, but why not just run them straight up. Start where you qualify, better yet; impound the cars. Only changes that can be made will be done while cars are lining up or don't let them make changes at all... Inverting cars for the sake of the fans is for the birds( not that they don't deserve a good show). Your penalizing a driver/team when they qualify well... jmo

Big,

Thats why we used to street race...

This giving someone a 12 car head start is for the birds...

Back to qualifying, just because Tator or Keith qualifies good doesn't mean the car will hold out, no more than it means Eric would run good... All I'm saying is for this race, make it the way they qualify. If Double A gets a good qualifying and Mark M. and Eric get a bad, they will have to work their bottoms off to make it to the front... With that many cars out there it will be good...

Ive never been a fan of qualifing. And with the invert why burn all that fuel and use up your tires knowing you might not get the spot you quaified at. Its a race and all the people behind the wheel are racers. Draw a starting position form the hat and go race your butts off.

How about drawing for 15 Lap heats... In the heats your feature lineup is determined by the number of cars you pass or that pass you from your original starting position... For instance if Eric draws last in the first heat and passes everyone then he starts pole. If he starts 1st out of a 6 car field he would get 0 points and start in the middle to rear. If he gets passed then he gets minus whatever number of positions. Feature is lined up as +6,+5,+4 and based in which heat your in 1,2,3 ect.... It would mix the field well and create some good racing oh and make the feature 60 laps...

Guest bigfat
Who says only the 80, 27, and 20 kars will be fast? As of late, there have been some other kars who are fast too. Don't overlook the rest Kiss_Racing. KosherKowboy and I have watched the sportsman kar races, theres other fast karacters out there in that klass.

I'm pretty sure he was just using them as an example or maybe he just took a couple from the top 3 or 4 in the points?? But you're right. There have been 10 or 11 different winners in the Sportsman Class this year.

Kosher welcome back...

You are right and as Big said, I was just pulling a few out of the bunch... The #6 has been extremely fast. Then the #15 is always in the mix. Jason (#92???) Stanley is fast. Then you'd have THR cars, Horse(#5) would most likely run and #99. Who knows maybe Colt would suprise us and show up? If Shrimp comes up, he'll be fast....

This is why I say let's qualify them. Run them straight up, but impound them... Heck, let's do a little SLM (2 tire pit stop); but not under a manditory track yellow.... Obviously Rick, Nick and Terry D. plus others have things worked out... With all the interest, this should be one heck of a race...

Archived