Question about racing start

Mac

Before I start, I'll probably be criticized for this, so please try not to be too harsh. I'm looking for information on trying to start serious racing. I'm posting here because after I finish my military term (in ten months) I'll be moving back to San Antonio and am hoping for more specific advice than "go to a track," like maybe what track, who to talk to, etc. If sponsors could maybe post and say exactally what they look for in their drivers, or PM me with some info, that would be helpfull, too. Thanks for any imput!

sponsorship will probly be the hardest to get...unfourtunatly.it helps alot around here if you have a car to show them but thats never enough tho....and since it's so hard to get ,you probably wont get much help from other racers who want that sponsorship too. Help with your car tho is another story, most guys around here are real helpful...just need to ask. If your looking for a car and your still in the military I'd start looking now. you'll get better prices around the end of the season when people are selling but not buying..wait till nov or later and the demand goes up. if your on the east coast i'd try looking there, there will be more selection...but be sure to check the rules in the class and track you want to start before you look for a car..no sense buying something you cant run where you want to.

Yes, that's a good point, ford 27. Although, these drivers don't have too much to worry about right now. I want to get involved in stock car racing, but I have no experiance, so unless someone wants to hold my hand through some training and so on, I don't think I'll be stealing any sponsers. Having said that, I'm not interested in keeping any winnings (yet), I'm looking for the experiance, so if there are any offers in that direction, I'd love to hear them. Also, where might I get some training and have access to a stock car?

Mac,

Honestly... plan on financing out of your own pocket.. and what you can afford first...

Examples:

Grand Stock....Cheapest..... Speeds Normal....cost $1000-$1500 Car

RR/Hobby........Higher cost.....Faster Speeds...... $2500 - 5000 Car

Sport/Street.....Even Higher Cost.... Even faster Speeds $4500- 10K

Someone help me on the costs there...

Weekly

GS $ 100 to 200 week

HS/RR $200 to 400 week

Street/Sport $300 to $600

all cost are estimates... don't hange me..

Next thing is the resources... San Antonio is harder on Suspension in wrecks.. (Walls)

May need a good friend in a body shop

THR just north has only a wall on the front straight...

Mac,

For a really cheap way to get it to racing, check out the Budweiser Racing Texas Twister class at Texas Thunder Speedway in Killeen.

http://www.texasthunder.com

You can claim one, race ready, for $500. And you don't need a truck and trailer, as you can arrange to keep it at the track.

These are any 4 or 6 cylnder, Front Wheel Drive, only cars. All you can do is remove glass and trim, put in a roll over hoop, window net and 5 point harness. Add your personal safety gear (fire suit and helment) and your in business. If it costs you more than $500 to build one, you did it wrong!

This way you can get into racing cheaply, and if you find it isn't for you (many do), then your not out a huge investment.

PM me, or call the promotor, Pat Wilson at 254-290-6262 for more information.

Thanks for serving us all as you wear the uniform. We are proud of all you guys and gals!

Bill "Sarge" Masom

Texas Thunder Speedway PR/Media

Sarge don't forget to figure in the gas it takes to tow round trip to Texas Thunder from San Antonio.....Mac most of us started at the lower class. You can learn the ropes and it isn't as expensive as the upper classes. I would suggest Grand Stock because it is inexpensive and the rules are the same for THR and SAS.

Mac as for cost I am building a Road Runner class for SAS... Its the next step up from total begginer class....

Car = $300

Stock 350 Engine Core to rebuild = $50

New Springs (all 4) $125.00

Rear Shocks= $75

I still need to build or buy cage kit, rebuild the engine, and do all the body work myself... You will spend some money doing this and yea like the guy before said look to finance it yourself for the first season, or atleast thats my outlook and like yourself I am totaly a newb/rookie....

I would suggest starting in Grandstock at either Thunderhill or SAS.... I just couldnt find the right car to do that or I would of... For Grandstock you just need a full frame 110" wheel base car and put cage and saftey equipment in it... From my research you could probably go on your own and build one for about 1300$ or so for a good car... SAS is building some that you can buy for basically what ever they have into it to get it race ready you can talk to Rick Day about that.... Draw back to Grandstock is the claim rule so you wont be or wanting to put a hole ton of money into one of those cars and it will get you racing faster....

i started with a 100 dollar junk .todays price probably 500 . the main thing is look around .talk to other drivers cant fined a car get on a crew and learn that way .always good to start on a crew and believe me there are alot of cars needing crew . work your way up . and always listen to what people say .decide what sounds good and never say to a good team that wont work . most teams and drivers will not give you what they have in thier cars but will help you get in the ball park .and never go out there with the mind set your going to set the world on fire your first 2 or 3 years .that usually turns out bad .so good luck and dont ever believe a word i say jk. :D

Okay, next question is, where is the best place to find a Grand Stock car? Oh, and where is Thunderhill? Or, as oldtimer suggested, how would I go about finding a crew needing another member? By the way, this has all been very helpfull so far, thank you all very much.

don't rely on sponsors.......if you can't afford it , don't do it. don't take somebody on there word if they tell you to build it and then they will give you X amount , that never works.

i grew up watching my step dad ,mom, and grandfather race.........i was always around it , i ate slept and squated racing , but when i 1st started i was still confused and overwhelmed.

i know you said you don't want to here ' go to the track or help someone' but if you don't do this 1st. then youre gonna need alot of money and the readiness to loose it.

i helped alot of people before i started racing , and iwas very thankful for the chance to learn.

or just get a rule book and start trying to build.

sorry if this isn't what you wanted to here.................but alot of very good drivers went with plan B...........but whatever you do DON"T depend on the sponsor.

Never forget the most important thing here. if you are married have kids . you have better get them involved .one way or another seen very good drivers either loose thier family or thier cars over not getting thier familys involved if not with thier backing then your in for a long battle .and one thing from raceing is its the longest job you.ll ever have raceing is like a gang once your in its hell to get out i dont know how many times i retired from raceing and got stupid again but i will never ever regret it .and i speek for alot of people here .just have to scratch that itch sometimes .

One question everyone has kind of over-looked.....are you interested in dirt or pavement racing? I raced both and they are equally exciting.

Pleasanton(south of SA about 1/2 hour) has a dirt track. You can get into a Pure Stock realitively cheap. Dirt tracks are somewhat easier on parts, you don't go quite as fast or hit things quite as hard. LOL

Texas Thunder(Killeen--near Ft Hood) has the Texas Twisters mentioned above.

As also mentioned SA Speedway and Thunder Hill both have a Grand Stock class for beginners. Again realitively cheap way to get started. Then have classes you can work your way up through.

The more "hands-on" experience you get before driving is always beneficial. Basic set-up knowledge is key, motors, tranny's, etc. can be done at machine shops if you have the funds, but set-up can only be learned.

We(my best friend and I) got started by walking through the pits and helping out guys that had no crew, other than maybe a wife or kid. We listened, watched and then started asking questions of more experienced racers.

I started racing pavement first. It helped me to be able to 'roll the corners' smoother when I raced dirt. Things(usually bad-lmao) happen quicker on pavement.

Racing can be an addiction......the adrenaline rush, thrill of the chase, speed, etc. are just as bad as cigarettes or alcohol. Once your hooked, you're hooked for life.

Expect to LOSE money racing. It's an expensive hobby. Know that going in! If you think you're going make as much as you spend, you'll only be discouraged. Ain't gonna happen!

REMEMBER racing is fun. Never forget that point.

hell.start in the legacy series-spec rules-spec car-spec motors-they aint going to change the rules on you mid season and you can run em nation wide and right now they got the biggest fields around here-call bob riley at riley tranmission in san marcos-he's the ring leader-he would probably even give you a test ride in one-good place to start and learn the ropes-plus you wont go broke running one

Guest bigfat

take up watching it on TV. It's 3:00 am and I'm on Party Poker trying to make enough money to buy pipe and tubing for my Road Runner's front hoops. :D

But seriously. Find a hoopty and drive the hell out of it. Anywhere.............Just plan on having lots of fun.

Yea I know where a good grandstock car is right now if your in SA right now, I found it too late to get it myself... The car is $750 or you can talk to Rick Day, as I mentioned they are building a few Grandstocks to sale to people who want to get into Racing and its relativly cheap...

And as mentioned I pretty much started out like you asking questions then I went and printed the rules and have started the building process... Hopefully if all goes well I will have the chassis done by November or sooner, and can start work on the engine were the big expenses come into play... :(

fast18

Sarge don't forget to figure in the gas it takes to tow round trip to Texas Thunder from San Antonio.

Mickey, no, I didn't forget. You don't have to tow a Budweiser Racing Texas Twister anywhere. Claim it at the track. Drive it striaght from victory circle to the pits. Take the battery out of it and remove the key. Come back next week, hook the battery back up and go racing.

No need for towing and all that stuff.

Still, absolutely the cheapest way to go racing. Can't do it for less. And we have had 20+ cars start a feature three times this season. A season that started a month late and already has had 19 races in it.

Bang for the buck. Budweiser Racing Texas Twister at Texas Thunder Speedway in Killeen. If you build a car for SAS or THR, how many races are you going to get? Can you race 19 times at either track? And we have six more nights left. Next year we will start racing them when the track opens, so you have to potential to race 25+ nights.

Can. Not. Race. Cheaper.

Budweiser Racing Texas Twisters! If your not "Twisting" the top off one of these, you spending way to much!

Bill "Sarge" Masom

Texas Thunder Speedway PR/Media

Archived