Road Runner Car Count?

kn1ghtblade

Guest bigfat

I don't know why 66% of them weren't there but I know that a few of them were so tore up from last week that they couldn't make it.

That was one tough car that fellar had. He was bangin' with both ends of it. LUCKY. I've got whip lash from "Mad Milton".

In case y'all didn't know, we try to call all of our registered drivers from SAS and/or USRA before each race to see if they'll be racing with us the following Saturday. Each staff member takes a class or series, and we document the comments, etc.

For example, I called the Road Runner drivers last week, and here's a summary of my responses (excluding the names):

1. Yes

2. Not sure - still trying to locate a transmission

3. Left message - no reply

4. Neck is still injured - can't race until surgery is done

5. Left message - no reply

6. Left message - no reply

7. Probably won't be racing for the rest of the season - can't keep up with expenses

8. Car not ready - still needs machine work and injury needs to heal

9. Not sure - trying to get overheating problem corrected

10. Probably not - alternates racing and daughter's rodeo adctivities

11. Still won't be racing this weekend - working on car and recovering from injury

12. Trying to build his new car - not sure it will be ready this weekend

13. No answer

14. Someone else will be racing the car this weekend - working 60+ hours each week and doesn't have time to work on car and race

15. Same as #10 (same family)

16. Left message - no reply

17. Yes

18. Probably racing - trying to get motor fixed in time

19. Still having engine problems - will try to return on 9/9

20. Yes, always there

21. Not racing - hopes to return on 9/9

22. Hopefully racing on 8/12 - trying to get car back together - pulling an "all-nighter" on Friday

These are the facts - not just a guess.

I alao thought the Demo Derby was a blast!

We had a great crowd, but a disappointing car count.

wow it looks like a lot of drivers with injuries.............hope all of them get feelin better............there was a lack of cars all the way around saturday.............the demo derby had more cars then the grand stocks, but overall it was a good night of racing.............not too many cars tore up this weekend, had a couple with some mech. problems and frank johnson had a wicked looking hit in turn 1-2 (hope he is doing alright), but all in all a clean night............i just wish we could go a week without getting a flat with those cheap a$$ tires they run now............two weeks in a row a flat tire with those things.........i hope the track is making some money off of them things, because they sure arent worth the cost.........jmo

not sure, my brother buys them since it is his car, but i believe they are close to $120.........they cost more then the hoosiers were last year, and in my opinion based from the last two weeks of flat tires, i dont think these tires are worth the money...........the damn tires breathe thru the side walls.........if you fill the tires up and smear some soapy water on the letters of the tire, the water bubbles up from the air......just sitting in the shop the tires go flat.........oh well, like i said i sure hope the track is making some money from these junk tires, if so then i guess it isnt all bad.........again just my opinion based on our experiences with them..........

Guest bigfat
the demo derby had more cars then the grand stocks

Easy now........ The demo derby had more cars than the Road Runners too. Don't be knocking my X class. ;)

not knocking anyone champ...........hahaha.........i was hoping you could give em hell in the demo derby but i think your car was rigged for t-d...........then that smash to the front didnt help things...........was a lot of fun to watch though...........

as for the grand stock race, got a little worried when i turned around and all i see was you going toward the wall backwards, good save.........

Guest bigfat

LMAO. Hopefully The Grands will have a better count next year. And that no reverse thing in the demo derby wasn't good. At least I got the first bash on TAMSPUNK.

As for the "save". Have you heard that country song. Not sure what the chicks name is.

"Jesus take the wheel". I was singin' that one when I got spun. It was my 1st spin though. I kinda enjoyed it. No repairs makes it enjoyable. :D

the damn tires breathe thru the side walls.........if you fill the tires up and smear some soapy water on the letters of the tire, the water bubbles up from the air......just sitting in the shop the tires go flat.........oh well, like i said i sure hope the track is making some money from these junk tires, if so then i guess it isnt all bad.........again just my opinion based on our experiences with them..........

Many races tires bleed air through the sidewalls. They are engineered that way. The old GoodYears we ran years ago were so thin they all would go flat overnight! The Firestones were about the same. Hoosiers are a bit thicker, but they bleed through too. American Racers (McCrearys) bleed a bit more than Hoosiers but less than the GoodYears.

There are several technical reasons why the sidewalls on bias ply race tires are thin. I will not go into them here, but one of them is related to the slip angle race tires generate.

Flats are caused by running over stuff and putting a hole in the tire, not due to the quality of the tire.

Racing tires cost a lot of money - that's a fact. The first guy who builds a quality racing tire that retails for under 50 bucks is going to be very popular with racers. But don't look for that to happen any time soon because quality race tires are very difficult and very expensive to build.

I thought Oval Components was the tire retailer for SAS.

Nick Holt

Guest bigfat
yeah that was a good save, I didnt get to ask you this after the races but were you needing a shorts change after that?

Nope. No firesuit debris that time. Next race might be a different story. I get to use those breathing tires with no tread on em'. Can't wait.

Hey big, do you think you can get me some good pics of how Mona's car is braced with the cage and everything??? I am almost to the point with mine to start building the cage and doing the bracing for the front but not sure how to do it... The car I got is the same as Mona's though....

Guest bigfat
Cool, so I guess that means your moving up the next race?

10-4. Should have done it the last race. I woulda finished 3rd. :lol:

As for Mona's car. You can ask her. She's may have some issues with giving free pictures away. She usually charges. Especially for competitors.

I hear that... :)

I am going to pull the front off mine today after work. Then engine and tranny come out this weekend... After that its ready for the cage and bracing atleast in the front half of the car.... Hey in Road Runner do you have to use lexan windshield or is the stock one permited? The rules were a little confusing there.... Also the fire suppression rules were confusing too, i am assuming fire extinquishers are enough or does it have to be an auto suppression system in Road Runner??? The rules weren't quite clear on that and it reads alittle confusing....

Debbie,

Sorry I never returned your call but I will blame it on last minute school shopping. I'm not sure when I will have my car back out due to the the damage from the Saturday before when George ran it. I got a bent rear frame, needs a complete new body, inside rear cage work, inside sheet metal work and front and rear suspension parts need replacing. The hit did not look that bad but it did some serious damage, Thank God George only suffered a sore back from it. And I decided to slap the #13 back on it cause this bad luck with #8 isn't cutting it. We will be back on the track soon as well as the winners circle, (George will). See everyone soon.

Kelly

Kelly,

Thanks for sharing your status. I didn't think you'd be back last Saturday, but we at least try to check with y'all. It sounds like you've got a lot of damage to fix - hopefully you and the #13 will be back on September 9. Let us know, please, how it's going.

Knightblade,

There is a rule on the thichness of the windshield. I can't remember what it is off the top of my head. You might check the rules.

I don't mind you having pictures of my car. I don't have anything to hide. If it will help get you out there, then by all means, I'll give you information. My car is a little crooked right now. We are going to redo the braces in it, when comes back from the frame machine. PM me your phone number or e-mail address.

Remember, also, the Lexan or equivalent scratches very easily. Put it on the car last.

I can't wait until Jody gets out there with the roadrunners. I hope that everyone is back at the next race.

Cool thanks.....

Yeah we are almost ready to do the braceing/forward cage not sure what its called but the cage in the engine compartment... I have looked at plenty of sportsman cameros but havent had a chance to see a RR under the hood yet... We arent sure quite how to do the bracing and also not sure about how to reattach the fenders and front clip... If its like the cameros it doesnt look too difficult but were are just not sure... Also not sure on what guage of tubing to use under the hood area...

Guest bigfat
Knightblade- there is a post in the SAS section I believe looking for lexan and Mike Knotts (tps48) suggested a type that doesnt yellow or scratch easy... You might try that I believe they have it at Regal Plasics....

Marc

prepare to spend some money over there.

Debwill I think thats a great thing you do by calling the drivers and getting a head count so to speak that makes the drivers know that the track needs them not that we need the track. Kudos to SAS !!!

Archived