Old SAS Track Records

NickHolt

I was going through some of my junk from when I was competition director at SAS back in the 90's and found this list that I had compiled on a sheet tucked inside an old rules booklet.

++++++++++++++++++

SAS Track Records as of 09/03/94

All-Time Track Record - Jimmy Finger - 17.942 on 07/18/81

Winston Racing Series Late Model - George Hagy - 20.177 on 04/11/92

Winston Racing Series Sportsman - Robert Barker - 21.927 on 08/16/94

Charger - Terry Bernsen - 23.291 on 09/03/94

TIDA Late Model - Kieth Riethmeyer - 19.050 on 08/14/93

TIDA Pro Sedan - Joe Osborne - 22.456 on 09/10/88

Buddy,

Finger was driving for Don Bierschwale at that time.

It was probably a Frank Deiny car. You may have heard reference to Speedway Engineering, that was Deiny's company.

Not sure who was doing their engines at that time.

And I think the crew chief was Mike Dugi.

Body style was camaro.

Posted on Aug 14 2006, 10:21 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUOTE (zoom @ Aug 14 2006, 08:29 AM)

What are the current SAS track records?

In comprable classes.  

Isn't there a TXSZ thread somewhere around here that lists those?

Nick

Say nick,

you sure are getting tight lipped in your old old old age.

First you wouldn't tell me what they are teching and now this.

pshhhh. Thats all right, I understand you geritol is probably not working as well today.

But seriously, as long as you peeing a steady stream. That's what counts you know.

:blink::D

Something from a previous posting by Neil Upchurch about the TIDA record at SAS:

Tommy Grimes---- 29-Jun-96 ,River City Raceway/San Antonio-1/2 mile -- 18.395 sec

I believe that record was broken here in the last few years in USRA... Im probrobly wrong tho...

Im sure Nick has some of the USRA records somewhere if he has time to post em he might if you ask nice... :-)

I'd have to ask Steve Jung and/or Jean Nesser about the USRA records. Or else ask JM Hallas. He keeps good notes.

Nick

WOW 18 seconds in a half mile that is like two 9 second drag runs with four turns in the mix, strait line guys think they are racing !!

It is a great time when you look at the track configuration.

A lot of factors in the track layout factor into why it is 18 seconds. The turns are short, straights are flat, and so on. Track layout makes a big difference in the lap times.

The following are not to belittle SAS, rather they demonstrate the times achieved with different 1/2 mile configurations.

Pensacola has more turn, less straight, and is banked all the way around.

Eddie Mercer qualified on the Snowball pole last year at a 17.06, on unsoaked tires.

A couple years back, when they allowed tire soaking, we watched Jeremy Pate run a 16.22 there.

And way back in the early 80's, Mark Martin happened to tour around the 37+ degree banked Winchester, Indiana 1/2 mile at a 14.50 in an ASA Super Late Model.

So the track layout has a big impact on the times, but still a 17.9 at SAS is no slouch. I watched Finger turn that lap that night, and it was quick.

I believe that record was broken here in the last few years in USRA... Im probrobly wrong tho

Marc, I am not exactly sure about the USRA record, but I'm pretty sure a couple guys have run around a 18.25 or so.

I kinda remembered Brandon being in the low .20's so they are not that far off then... Tom do you remember if when Finger ran that time if it was a cool day or was it in the dead of summer... I always figured you would see faster times at the start and end of the seasons hear just from the track and air being cooler as well...

Tom do you remember if when Finger ran that time if it was a cool day or was it in the dead of summer

All-Time Track Record - Jimmy Finger - 17.942

on 07/18/81

Middle of summer makes for a nice hot day.

Didn't somebody say a hand-held device was used to take that time. Is that how they timed in the old days?

Josh. that goes back to a short comment I made that I thought they were timed by stopwatches back then. Nick remembered a timing clock. But neither of us was real sure. Either way, the record is what it is, and we are not going to take anything away from the effort it took to run that time..

Which fast track would you go with, not only because of the speed, but racing all together where you can have side-by-side racing? Bristol, Winchester, I-70, Salem, or any other you have in mind? I've only been to I-70 out of those tracks, but I also like the Music City and Mobile tracks, which have a lot of side-by-side racing.

How much faster will a car be at SAS with soaked tires?

as i can recall being in the press box with dad they had timing lights that were inbeded in the wall by the flag stand and another by the pit wall opening thats how i remember. David Hayden

And they didn't always work right. I recall times when time trials would have to be interrupted while someone got out on the front straight and broke the light beam with a cowboy hat or something to make sure the system was working.

Nick

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...
I was going through some of my junk from when I was competition director at SAS back in the 90's and found this list that I had compiled on a sheet tucked inside an old rules booklet.

++++++++++++++++++

SAS Track Records as of 09/03/94

All-Time Track Record - Jimmy Finger - 17.942 on 07/18/81

Winston Racing Series Late Model - George Hagy - 20.177 on 04/11/92

Winston Racing Series Sportsman - Robert Barker - 21.927 on 08/16/94

Charger - Terry Bernsen - 23.291 on 09/03/94

TIDA Late Model - Kieth Riethmeyer - 19.050 on 08/14/93

TIDA Pro Sedan - Joe Osborne - 22.456 on 09/10/88

Nick there was an article in SA Express News around July 4th 1980 where I thought it said Hubert Bean ran 17.5 at Hi Way 16. I saw the picture of that car - the roof was cut down so low in front I don't know how Hubert saw out out!

BTW what did the supers run at San Antonio when they ran in 1980 - I heard that Chet Phillips had run 16.5 in his Hite car.

Archived