2. (66) Leonard Flores, 20

3. (42) J.R. Eichelberger III, 9

4. (5) Gary May, 6

5. (58) Larry Reeves, DNS

Grand Stock Feature

1. (12) Jody Wayne Stuart, 15 laps

2. (7) Richard Fitch, 15

3. (48) Steve Dalrymple, 7

CONGRATS MARK MATHIAS !!!!!!  Why was Knudtson  DQ'd?

Upper A-arm mounts.

Nick Holt

Looks like the tech men were on the same wavelength last night. Jack also checked a-arm mounts in the SS class.

Congrats to Clint LaFont for his win.

it was a pleasure to meet you last night nick, and as far as the a-arm mounts being moved on the 27, when you shined the light on the bolt it was obvious and you didnt have a choice on that deal....i was glad you did make the right call though, for a little while it didnt look like it would happen....it was a tough deal, but you did right by sas and the drivers and for that i say thank you......i hate to see him get dqed, especially with his son there and all, but you had a job to do and you did it........i hope the tech continues to be fair because if it does, the cars will return........

I always thought the upper a-arm mount on a camaro was in good location. Now a metric car is a different story. was the mount moved for a performance advantage or was it repaired from a wreck and not put back in the exact location.

Since I wasn't there and I've gotten conflicting stories, I'm curious to know what brought this on. In one instance I'm told Eric was cleared, but had been warned that he needed to correct the mounts. Then I hear that after he had been cleared it was determined that he would be in fact DQ'd.

Now here is my question? Was Eric protested? If so, was it done in writing with money to back it up? Was it presented that way to Jim as car owner and to Eric as driver? My understanding to above is no, that he was teched, warned and then warning was over ridden by Rick Day. My next question, was the Upper A Arm mount on the original list of to be teched items? My understanding was no, but then again I wasn't there, so I'm asking. My response of no is third(grammer) party, so I'm not drawing a conclusion just asking for clarification.

If, Eric was cleared from tech and told he was cleared; I'm not sure I follow why he was then DQ'd?

Thanks for help in understanding...

14theroad,

When Eric was DQ'd for the clutch, he admitted to his fault... I'd say more, but need to leave it at that...

I was wondering what was going on over there on the tech pad after the races.... It did look like all 3 cars were getting teched on the same things, since they all 3 appeared to have that right front torn down... I am guessing this falls under the suspension rules of everything remaining in stock locations? Also if it was a repair from a previous wreck and that was only option other than all new parts could they of reached a different decision?

I was wondering what was going on over there on the tech pad after the races.... It did look like all 3 cars were getting teched on the same things, since they all 3 appeared to have that right front torn down... I am guessing this falls under the suspension rules of everything remaining in stock locations? Also if it was a repair from a previous wreck and that was only option other than all new parts could they of reached a different decision?

As previously mentioned, I wasn't there... I know that Eric was quizzed earlier in the day at his pit spot and was asked some pointed questions. I also know that he was told a few things after the race which we are trying to verify. The clip has been replaced this year and the clip was one of three he had found...

Since I wasn't there and I've gotten conflicting stories, I'm curious to know what brought this on. In one instance I'm told Eric was cleared, but had been warned that he needed to correct the mounts. Then I hear that after he had been cleared it was determined that he would be in fact DQ'd.

Now here is my question? Was Eric protested? If so, was it done in writing with money to back it up? Was it presented that way to Jim as car owner and to Eric as driver? My understanding to above is no, that he was teched, warned and then warning was over ridden by Rick Day. My next question, was the Upper A Arm mount on the original list of to be teched items? My understanding was no, but then again I wasn't there, so I'm asking. My response of no is third(grammer) party, so I'm not drawing a conclusion just asking for clarification.

If, Eric was cleared from tech and told he was cleared; I'm not sure I follow why he was then DQ'd?

Thanks for help in understanding...

Mark,

What brought it on is the upper a-arm mounts on the 27 car had been altered and the car was DQ'd.

But here's the background you were asking for.

Earlier in the week I was asked by Rick Day to go through the Sportsman rules and compile a list of suspension-related items that would be logical to tech in that division. He also has been working on the 2007 Sportsman rules and wanted to be sure that terams weren't running something not permitted in the rules but run anyway.

So, as requested, I compiled a list of eleven suspension/chassis-related items to check in the Sportsman class based on the 2006 rules as written. I gave the list to Rick Day around 3 pm before the race. He said he wanted to look them over. He did so. Then, later in the day, he asked me to check the top 3 Sportsman finishers for the items on that list, but specfically asked me not to DQ anyone since I was the USRA Media Director and not a SAS employee. If I were to find a discrepancy I was to bring it to Rick. He and Jeff Ashmore would then decide what to do about the discrepancy.

So I checked the items on the list as instructed.

The car that was DQ'd finished 3rd. It was teched exactly like the other cars and it was DQ'd because the upper a-arm mounts had been altered.

When I discovered the discrepancy, I wanted to make it plain to the driver that my interest was in the listed items and that I was not there to DQ anyone - that Rick Day and Jeff Ashmore were the folks who should be making those sorts of decisions. I also mentioned to the driver that my primary interest was in establishing a baseline for next season's rules and that anything else was not really in my department. I also explained to the driver why such an alteration would be a potential handling advantage.

When Rick showed up at the tech pad, several people had already mentioned the upper a-arm mount to Jeff, so Rick asked to see for himself. He inspected the mounts, determined that they had been altered and brought the driver into the trailer to explain the DQ to him.

Nick Holt

Guest bigfat
The clip has been replaced this year and the clip was one of three he had found...

I found some 2" offset wheels. I got DQed. I'm not sure the where you got the illegal parts makes a difference.

I highly doubt that GM ever produced only one or two camaros with front clips different than all the rest. But who knows. Really dont think you can say you found one with the a-arm mounts like that. And I wonder if #27 got to keep the Craftsman Sears giftcard he recieved for the third place finish. It probably wouldnt be a bad idea to let him keep it, that way some tools may be purchased by his team such as a grinder, welder, etc. This way he can "un-alter" his a-arm mounts and be legal to race again. Maybe D.Q Jones can share with us this weeks press release and let us know whats going on.

In another thread Debbie Williams explained that the gift card would be awarded to the Tator Mason team that finished fourth, but was moved up to third in the results after the DQ.

Nick

it was the correct call because when the light was shined on the mounting bolts, you can see they were altered......it sucks eric got dq-ed, but he did alter the mounts plain and simple.....you cant really argue that it was repaired damage from an earlier wreck because the original hole was filled and the new hole was redrilled to make the a-arm mounting holes more level with each other.........it is good that the sas tech officials are making calls and sticking with them, hopefully eric can rebound in the championship because it would suck to lose it again because of a dq..........

yall are making this into way too big of a issue, 27 got dqed, for something so simple, just outside the rules. let it be, why beat a dead horse. im sure they will resolve the issue and be just as fast as last week. bottom line is let it go, obviously the 27 has.

big john

Thanks John...

Eric was confused as I mentioned before... He was told that he was cleared, they were looking at spindles and when Nick saw the "modification" he said it needed to be fixed. Later Eric was told he had indeed been DQ'd...

My question has been, if the spindle was what was being teched and then something else let say an adjustable shock is found; in the past it was a warning if something was found. ( ie last year in Roadrunner class) Now it looks as though tech is an open variaty of things and we'll pick and choose?

(on edit:) BTW, I think that Nick would make an awesome tech official. As he mentioned before, he was asked to review cars that finished in top 3 and report back his findings. If he were brought on staff(assuming he would except the position), he would have the power to DQ and not have to report to someone else. This would mean less confusion. Especially when one of the other drivers in Top 3 understood that another driver had been cleared.

Guest bigfat
Why put down TQ for one of his clients that got caught cheating?

And why is Nick letting that crap go. I see theres a special set of rules for certain people (the untrained, untalented idiot).

J

I guess your referring to the slanderization of TQ by the DQ comment?

Jason Jason Jason,

I'm hoping Nick doesn't shut this down.

Eric was warned and knows the changes that need to be made. It's not a matter of defending, I realize there are a set of standards in building one of these cars. The #27 was out of standards and was warned. I'm still not understanding and not being there didn't help.

Eric the driver was told he was cleared. Bobby the crew chief was told what was being teched and then in mid stride this changed. Jim the car owner was told the car cleared tech, but needed to be brought to standards.

I'm lost!

Thanks John...

Eric was confused as I mentioned before... He was told that he was cleared, they were looking at spindles and when Nick saw the "modification" he said it needed to be fixed. Later Eric was told he had indeed been DQ'd...

My question has been, if the spindle was what was being teched and then something else let say an adjustable shock is found; in the past it was a warning if something was found. ( ie last year in Roadrunner class) Now it looks as though tech is an open variaty of things and we'll pick and choose?

(on edit:) BTW, I think that Nick would make an awesome tech official. As he mentioned before, he was asked to review cars that finished in top 3 and report back his findings. If he were brought on staff(assuming he would except the position), he would have the power to DQ and not have to report to someone else. This would mean less confusion. Especially when one of the other drivers in Top 3 understood that another driver had been cleared.

Hey Kiss.

you remind me of a jailhouse laywer trying to defend a guy caught with a smoking gun in his hand standing over the still warm body lol

a good jailhouse lawyer always calls the cops crooks and his client just an inoscent victim. raising he said she said stuff in public, your just trying to make the track look like the cheater instead of the cheater.

but its not going to work this time because there were too many of us who watched the whole deal on the tech pad from start to finish. we stood right there watching everything that went on and i'll tell you this . nick did exackly what he should have done. he got under those cars with a checklist and measured them all the same. then and he took all the parts the crew guys took of to the trailer and measured them there so none of the other teams could see what they were runnin. and when he found somehting he refused to dq anybody and turned it over to the man.

the 27 car was cheating, we all saw it plain and simple. why make a federal case out of it??.

KISS

Do you offer respresentation to non-racers?

I'm always looking for a campaign manager. I'm not pointing fingers because Eric is a good racer. Everyone exploits the gray areas and takes a chance at getting caught. JH is one of the best setup guys around. I have a couple of stock clips if he needs an unaltered one.

Archived