What did you think about Saturday's USRA SLM Race?

debwill

I agree with Mr. Hallas' comments also Mike.If you remember the Texas Late Model Classic and the Texas Super Street Stock Classic races had 30-40 cars,and they were a mixture of state of the art brand new cars and some pretty ugly tired iron.It didn't matter what they looked like.The grand stands were so full at those events,you couldn't leave your seat.As far as ROMCO car counts go,I was there and saw the big early events.What I guess I didn't clarify is that it was during it's tenure that the depletion started,not under just USRA.I was trying to say that maybe what was going to possibly be new excitement with the USRA ended up being status quo,and some of the racers ended up wandering off.It's always seemed to me that the newspapers have been co-operative over the years.I still have a bunch of Nick Holt's clippings from the S.A.Light. :D

Should Milton Hope be in a grandstock?

Would a substantial points fund fire up some interest in the USRA?Or is it there already and just not publicised?Just curious.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we can get a few more sponsors for the race, the purse should not be a problem, but how to sell the show will. Maybe giving out free tickets and possibly new people will come out and want to come back again and will not mind paying for the show. Sure this has been done before, but some how need to market to the ones that have never heard, but who are they. I know they had Time Warner sponsor a race, but try AT&T, they like to give their money away. I think another year past and no representation at the parade. Maybe we can put Sean Elliott in a car, one NBA player made the ASALM show last weekend. A real live Monster Truck Show and a Demolition Derby, bus and boat races, along with the USRA trio and we can get out of there at 2:00 AM, and the kids will be asleep, then the wet t-shirt contest and have Nick or Terry jump out of a plane and do a few other stunts, after the show. :P:D:lol::lol:

If we can get a few more sponsors for the race, the purse should not be a problem, but how to sell the show will. Maybe giving out free tickets and possibly new people will come out and want to come back again and will not mind paying for the show.

I've heard so many promoters talk about free tickets and what a flop they are. ALl they pretty much guarantee is a good night at the concession stand but people who get free tickets usually come because its free, and then after that never come back unless they get free tickets again.

I've heard so many promoters talk about free tickets and what a flop they are. ALl they pretty much guarantee is a good night at the concession stand but people who get free tickets usually come because its free, and then after that never come back unless they get free tickets again.

Devils Bowl Speedway has been doing this for years and years. They pick a couple of towns or zip codes to let in free every week. Seems to be working for them. But what does Lanny Edwards know? He's only run that track forever, and also has one in Lawton, Okla. The guy must not have a clue how to promote!

rebelracewriter Posted on Aug 16 2006, 07:43 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Devils Bowl Speedway has been doing this for years and years. They pick a couple of towns or zip codes to let in free every week. Seems to be working for them. But what does Lanny Edwards know? He's only run that track forever, and also has one in Lawton, Okla. The guy must not have a clue how to promote!

Of course he doesn't UNLESS he has secretly hired TQJ3 :blink:

Jay,

Did I say all promoters? No, I said, so many, doesnt mean all...

Terry Dickerson even told me once free tickets aren't always winner, because people will come once because its free. Discounted ticket work better. He and I had a phone conversation one time where he talked about giving a roll of tickets to a band, cheerleading, squad whatever as a fund raiser, they sell the tickets for 10 dollars and keep half, and then track gets half (standard fundraising percantage), plus you get that organization involved at the track at night. If its a band, they perform on the front stretch or something. If all they sell are 500 tickets, they just made 2,500 dollars, and the track made 2,500 dollars, to put towards purse, etc.

I thought it was a great idea, and not only does it benefit the racing community, but it benefits the community schools. One of the best ideas I've ever heard.

HRP used to give tix to honor roll students, armed forces, police, fire, ems. I don't know if they are doing that.

The point is, even if they DON'T return, they still buy shhhhhhtuff at the concession stand, beer stand and maybe a souvenier or too. The trick is to put on a "quality" show they will want to return to, or tell friends about. That's where you make you money......

Which would you(as a promoter) rather have, an empty seat or one given filled by a free ticket that may bring in revenue and come back sometime. That's a no-brainer to me, but what do I know.~~~Shrug~~~

I've gone round and round with promoters about this before myself.

HRP used to give tix to honor roll students

the student will need a way to get to the track so you will most likely get at least one paying customer out of the deal.........plus concessions..........and usually kids will want to take their friends with them, so from that one free ticket there is potential to make a few more bucks..........

some kind of half time show to entertain the fans wouldnt hurt either..........back in the day elmer gene kept the kids entertained.......got the kids involved and we always looked foward to going back to the races the following week to see elmer gene..........sts has a good idea with the slot car track.........that way the kids get to be involved too........

Archived