Question about 95 z71 pickup

kn1ghtblade

We are haveing a problem with our 1995 chevy z71 we need to fix today and i need a starting point on where to look...

Yesterday the Speedo, Tach, and Shift indicator that tells you if your in drive all stopped working... Its a 1995 with a TBI 350 and automatic tranny.... It is a Z71 with the off road package.... Oh and the check gauges light is on... Also does anyone know how to check the ecm flash codes in this? its the old style odb1 i believe its called...

Thanks

hmm, idk, but i found out autozone does the free code check, at least where i live... Idk if the code will tell you exactly whats wrong, but might be worth a shot... i'm not completely pisitive on the style on the wiring of the tach, etc. but on my camaro ('78) the copper bands on the back of the component could be shorted/and or burned or corroded. That happend on that thing. hope i offered some help...

-Shawn

Yea it did alittle, I know for code check they can only do odb2 or higher or something... This has the old style black housing thats rectangular with the little female pins inside... I tried it like the older gm cars test but it didnt do anything, and that either means ECM is gone, or they test differently I am not sure which... :( the only other thing I can think of is something came unplugged at the tranny or behind the cluster...

plug into the two upper right hand pinns .if i got you correct . you could not get a reading .check your fuses . if something is blown alot of times it wont give you a reading i work at autozone. check the month that the truck was made .if it is 7 or better than we can check it

• 15 years later...

With the key off, jumper the two top right A&B  pins. After turning the key on you should get a code 12(single flash , pause, double flash) then any other codes which may be stored. If no codes, pull the schematic for the cluster and check any fuses that power the cluster. If all checks good, I would suspect a bad cluster.