demo derby

I enter this forum cautiously. I don't want what I say to be taken offensively by anyone. We have been frequenting STS since the season started. We enjoy the track and the racing. Everyone from the staff to the drivers have been very friendly, especially to the kids. We are new to racing, so maybe my concern is just the way things are. My husband entered the demo derby and won. This was his first ever event, but by no means his last. He spent several weeks (as all racers do) preparing his car (stripping and welding). He went in with an understanding from the website the prize was $1000. Then on the 1st (before the rain) was told at the drivers meeting (by Owen) due to only four cars signing up the prize would be $500,$300, and $100. When he won on the 15th he received $400 and the 2nd said he received $0. I just believe you say what you mean and mean what you say. If it was posted in small print 10 or more cars would be $1000 prize (like the other series prize amounts), than cool--no problem. Also, a small trophey wouldn't have hurt. Our "crew" spent a lot of money at the track that night. The reg. fee was $75+$25 to get in the pits. He had 3 guys with him in the pits ($20 EA.)

In the stands we were 13 adults and 10 kids.( The adults $5 ea. the first night and $9 ea. the reschedule). Then we bought several programs for keepsake, only to find the demo derby wasn't even in there. With this many you can imagine what we spent at the concession as well. All I'm saying, is it was a little disappointing. This will not stop our attendance or excitement about the track. I guess it's more a suggestion on how things could have been better. I know they're just wrecking cars, but it still took a lot of time, effort, and money. No hard feelings--keep up the good racing--see you at the races!!

These sorts of issues almost always are the result of some misunderstanding rather than someone being cheated - or worse. Perhaps a call to Owen would have been a better way to handle this issue rather than sharing it with the rest of us.

Owen has been around racing too long and has too good a reputation to be cheating racers out of their hard-earned prize money.

I know.. I know.. It's a lot easier to get on the internet and sometimes it just plain feels good to make your case in public. But this one probably did not need to be aired in public.

Nick Holt

I agree with Mr. Holt. Owen runs an honest and fair track. Owen is always quick to answer any questions that anyone seems to ask. He has a nice operation. I have been reading posts on this site for a while and have noticed that Owen reads and responds here regularly. Owen has even provided his phone number on this site a number of times for questions or concerns. I do not know of many other track owners that would (except Johnny Johnson @Rio Grande Speedway). Just my two cents , Thanks Nick for a great site.

Obviously I struck a nerve. This goes to show what kind of person Owen must be-- a good guy. If you read what I said without being on the offense, you would know I was not bashing anyone. I never said anything about being cheated or criticized Owen. We have spoken since this was written and he offered the full prize money. We are not interested in more money. First, I would like to say my husband has corrected me, 2nd did receive $100. He is not in any way responsible for my opinions. He was not aware I was writing this until he read it. I did not call Owen after the derby because it was not my derby. We understand the prize was $400 because there were 4 cars. My original suggestion was to put in small print that the number of cars would determine the prize money. The home page of the website said $1000 prize and all night in the stands (after only 4 cars registered) the track announcer went on and on about the $1000 prize. My only intent was to say it should have been more clear like they have done so well with the other classes of cars. I was not in any way trying to criticize STS or Owen. Obviously, it is a big responsibility to put on races and they do a very good job. We always have a good experience. I'm sorry if this offended anybody, but I'm just making a suggestion. If he thought he had been cheated it would have been brought to Owen's attention then--like anybody who thought that would. We are new to this, I just wanted to see if it were the norm. Sorry to have ruffled so many feathers. Owen must be doing something right to have such support. Keep up the great racing!!!

Archived