In Wake of SAS's Schedule Change

uhcougs

I just saw SAS's press release on opening pit gates later ot help reudce everyones exposure to the heat and sun since they dont have a whole lot of shade options in the pits, then again who does in Texas?? Anyway, I thought that was pretty cool for them to do that so I pulled up a link HMP shared in a drivers meeting a few weeks ago, and thought I'd share with everoyne here since the country is in a nasty heat wave. Heat stroke can kill you, and there is such thing as sun posining so bust out the sunblock and drink lots of water.

I took this from the National Athletic Trainers’ Association website....

DALLAS, TX – As temperatures soar this summer, it is essential to stay hydrated for two simple reasons according to a new position statement on fluid replacement for athletes just released by the National Athletic Trainers’ Association (NATA). The NATA’s research indicates staying hydrated helps to maintain athletic performance and reduces the risk of exertional heat illnesses (ie, heat cramp, heat exhaustion, and heat strokes). Therefore, drinking ample fluids this summer will help to maintain health status and athletic performance.

During athletic activity, a sports drink and/or water would be the preferable beverage, and if the event lasts more than an hour, the sports drink would be the drink of choice. However, fluid consumption during meals can include drinks like milk and juice, as well as sports drinks and water.

Douglas J. Casa, PhD, ATC, CSCS, chair of the NATA Position Statement on Fluid Replacement for Athletes points out some basic signs and symptoms of dehydration.

"The first indicators of dehydration are thirst, irritability, and general discomfort," said Casa. "And, if the dehydration progresses the signs and symptoms may include headache, cramps, chills, vomiting, nausea, head or neck heat sensations, and decreased performance.”

Here are some tips to keep you well hydrated this summer:

Drink fluids frequently

Drink at least eight cups of fluid a day, or more if physically active

Make fluids easily accessible

Carry individualized fluid containers

Begin all summer activity well hydrated

During activity, drink the equivalent of how much you sweat

Don’t just drink when you’re thirsty

Avoid caffeine

So drink plenty of plent of water during the day, and an extra plenty before the race, make sure your crew has your water bottle stocked and cool for the race, and be sure to have plenty of water after the race before you start in on the official post race beverage...

the key is to hydrate the day before, intake a good amount of water on Friday that way on Saturday you drink gatorade and replace electrolytes and as I became a runner more I also found that those gel shots (not jello) you can get @ HEB give you a boost in the heat, gummi bears are good too!!

Stay cool!!

During this time of year..LEAVE THE TRAILER'S IN THE PIT'S.....SHADE, A/C, you know!

I second that motion. The fans can stand up if they want to see the back straight.

This is Rusty not Jason. The young guys might be able to stand it, but us old guys need shade, a lounge chair, A/C or a fan and a well stocked cooler.

Hey Rusty, old guy's....I resemble that remark! :lol: that a/c last weekend in Kyle was heaven sent.....

with thier licker dragging on the ground .there dobbers are three feet behind .and the sweat beads on thier heads are asking for waters .thier breathing out dry internal organs .then and only then you can charge them for ac what away toget your weekend paid for .

I also found that those gel shots (not jello) you can get @ HEB give you a boost in the heat, gummi bears are good too!!

Stay cool!!

What gel shots can you get at HEB? Are they a candy like the gummi bears you mentioned? I assume the boost of sugar is the trick to them, or am I way off. Just had never heard of this, and I am always looking for a way to keep hydrated in this heat...

you got it, check in the section where they have the dietery supplements. They are usually glucose based and most of them help to replace all the lost carbs during peak energy levels.

The better tasting one are made with natural fruit additives to make them not so sweet.

Believe it or not, I have a little background in this area ............ Some good advice I've found that works well is to prehydrate (drink lots of water) today and tonight until you pee clear. You will feel better tomorrow and your body will stay cooler. Stay away from alcohol. It seeks out moisture and literally pulls water out of your body's cells.

That's what a "hangover" actually is ......... dehydration.

Yeah lots of Carbs and Water!!! Back in my sports playing days at the end of summer when we had 2 a days they always told us to eat lots of carbs like pasta at night and drink nothing but lots of water or gatorade all day to stay hydrated during practice....

Guest bigfat
Believe it or not, I have a little background in this area ............ Some good advice I've found that works well is to prehydrate (drink lots of water) today and tonight until you pee clear. You will feel better tomorrow and your body will stay cooler. Stay away from alcohol. It seeks out moisture and literally pulls water out of your body's cells.

That's what a "hangover" actually is ......... dehydration.

I'd rather by dehydrated! :lol:

Clear to where? I peed clear over the hood of a truck one time.

Outlaw and Budman and kn1ghtblade: Thanks. I have always tried to drink as much water and gateraid as I could on race day, but usually get there already dehydraterd from getting the car together with no sleep the days before. I am hoping this will be a little better in that regards. I will have to head to HEB tonight to check them out.

Fast18 - I hear you. I got home after the last race we ran and know I had a mild case of heat stroak. Save y'all the details!!

Bigfat: "Clear to where?" Over there is where, and in a box, in a box with a fox... :o:P

Archived