NA$CAR to change Championship format in 2007

rebelracewriter

If you are that upset with the sport you can always watch tennis or bowling instead so you dont rupture anything

It's not the "SPORT" that I'm upset with. It's the B/S bureaucracy that's infiltertating into the sport. When you take a championship fight and turn it into a popularity contest.........that just plain sucks. It should be about who's the best driver/team NOT who the crowd favorite is!! If they aren't good enough to make a run for title, they FLAT OUT shouldn't be there. PERIOD! :angry:

As for tennis, bowling.......not enough contact in those sports for me. :P

Nevermind. I'll answer my own question. It was the Langhorne Speedway, in Langhorne Pennsylvania. Paved in the mid-60's, closed in 1971. Now a shopping center. Right now, I'm looking at a photo of a dirt champ car being driven there in 1960, by Lloyd Ruby.

I looked it up in the book I borrowed from Txtom. Thanks Tom! :)

road coarses takes a WHOLE LOT MORE skill than having a car maxed out with perfect aero / chassis combo on a speedway they need more road coarses and short tracks get rid of some of the newer cookie cutter tracks but hey that would be in a world where $$$$$ doesnt run NASCAR

I agree.

I think if your gonna run road courses run them in the chase and add more difficulty. 10 drivers isn't bad...before the chase the last few races of the season didn't have much drama but now they do. Why try to fix it if it ain't broke. Its all gonna come down to Homestead wether there is 10 drivers or more. I guess it doesn't matter what they do I'll still be watchin. JMO

Guest bigfat

Then there's the whole don't drive this guy as hard as you would the next JUST because he is in the chase thing. Which is the lesser of the two evils? A chase or a run away winner and the last 3 or 4 races don't mean jack?

...Its all gonna come down to Homestead...

That's one thing that should change as well. Instead of Homestead, have it at Bristol or Martinsville where it really could be anybody's win.

As for air time, if the front 5 - 10 aren't moving, quit showing their conga line (thanks Chuck) and show the real racing in the back and give their sponsors air time.

I would like to them leave it like it is with a couple of exceptions. First, they need to make it where any driver who wins a race automatically qualifies. Second, they need to add more points for a win. Both of these scenarios would make drivers race for a win instead of being happy with a top 5 or 10. This would make that last race at Richmond before the chase one hell of a show with all of the drivers who haven't won yet knowing that if they win they are in! What do yall think about that?

I bet points are adjusted to 500 or 550 and the top 10 enter their own points battle or those that are within the allowed points difference!

so if a top competitor competing for the championship finishes 43 the first race instead of 43 place points they get 10th place points... or the last finishing position of cars in the "CHASE"

so if a top competitor competing for the championship finishes 43 the first race instead of 43 place points they get 10th place points... or the last finishing position of cars in the "CHASE"

That would definitely make it closer. And, if they keep the case, it only makes sense to race the other 9 people and let the other 33 cars race for 11th for the $1M bonus.

Snowball, I'll accept your ideas a lot better than the popularity contest they seem to be proposing. :)

uhcougs, That's just my way of expressing my opinion. :angry:

I don't like messin' with the points for the last 10 races. If they finish dead-ass last. TOO BAD, SO SAD! But I will agree that more should be awarded for a win, though under the "NEW" popu.........ooops, points chase idea it really doesn't matter as much as it would under the "REAL" points system of the past.

JMHO........That why I am the REBEL Race Writer!! ;):lol:

I actually like the new system more than the old. The old system would be like awarding the team that finishes 15-1 in the regular season in the NFL the championship instead of having playoffs. How many times has a 10-6 team or an 11-5 team came back to win the Superbowl after the number 1 seed fails? Just look at the Colts! I know that Football and racing are two different things, but as long as everyone starts the season under the same set of rules then I don't have a problem with it. Just as long as they don't make it too confusing for the average fan, it will e OK.

Archived