crate logistics

jracer98

Regarding the tech on the USRA 40 truck's engine, while it has been found legal, it is/was in Houston. How does the engine get back to the owner and who pays? It's about 450 miles and 7 hours from Houston to Vernon, one way.

Just curious about crate racing.

Jay

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another one of those "just wondering" questions....How do you determine if a crate motor is legal by putting that motor alone on the dyno? Is there a baseline or average that has been established for these motors so that the acceptable parameters are known? If not, it seems like the dyno session would be nothing more than a free dyno run for the motor's owner. I know I don't have a dog in this hunt, but this was a question that I had after reading the press release.

Thanks

The OEM dyno sheets are based upon the intake and carburetor that is designed for the crate engine.

That being the case, it still seems that a dyno test of only one USRA motor tells very little without dyno sheets from a random sampling of similarly equiped motors to compare it to, right?

That being the case, it still seems that a dyno test of only one USRA motor tells very little without dyno sheets from a random sampling of similarly equiped motors to compare it to, right?

To me if its within the allowed tolerances from GM's specs the samples are there in the forms of the other series that same crate motor has ran not just Trucks... For example if that Crate is the same as a Houston Sportsman LM (350 HP) crate wouldnt they too be the same or similar dyno sheet wise especially when compared to its GM sheet? Now if they use a different GM part # then nevermind that question.

To me if its within the allowed tolerances from GM's specs the samples are there in the forms of the other series that same crate motor has ran not just Trucks... For example if that Crate is the same as a Houston Sportsman LM (350 HP) crate wouldnt they too be the same or similar dyno sheet wise especially when compared to its GM sheet? Now if they use a different GM part # then nevermind that question.

That's exactly what I am wondering - are there other samples? There very well may be, and if there are adequate samples of crates using the same intake equipment, then the dyno inspection may be enough.

the GM 602 is a "known" 350 hp with the spec 650 carb. The engine tester can pull the 4412 off and install a "known" 650 spec 4 bbl to see if she stops at 350 hp +/- --->

assuming the engine also has the spec'd 180 manifold. The 4412 would then have to pass "on it's own".

Jay

Talked to Mike Garrett yesterday. He was telling me the only reason that the crate's where allowed to compete in ARTS was that when the dyno'ed the first engine....(belonging to Tommy Freeman). it ran in at 322 h/p.......SOOOOOOOOOOOO, what was the h/p rating on the 40's crate??????????????????????

Questioning the integrity of the racers, engine builders who inspected the engine and GM is ludicrous. MOVE ON.

Since I posted the question, I want to make it clear that my intent was not to question the integrity of any team or any builder at all. The question was aimed at the process, not any person or team.

Guest bigfat

It seems that infrastructuresate virtual supply-chains have transformed cutting-edge vortals. When we as racers and fans try to visualize user-centric systems and monetize mission-critical portals we need to disintermediate cutting-edge experiences and try our best to grow the plug-and-play action-items that target ubiquitous systems and will streamline front-end infomediaries.

It seems that infrastructuresate virtual supply-chains have transformed cutting-edge vortals. When we as racers and fans try to visualize user-centric systems and monetize mission-critical portals we need to disintermediate cutting-edge experiences and try our best to grow the plug-and-play action-items that target ubiquitous systems and will streamline front-end infomediaries.

damn, you even sound dumb trying to write inteligently! lol

First - congratulations to Roper for a winning season! It is well-deserved.

==

Now to get back to the question about crate motor tech logistics......

The USRA truck series rules show Mission Racing as the only certified rebuilder of the USRA truck series crate engines. Perhaps the teched engine came straight from GM, or thru Mission, or ????. Not sure how a person knows that. Was Mission Racing involved in the tech process, or allowed to observe it? If a problem had been found, would the credibility of the engine supplier been at stake?

Just wanting to learn the logistics of crate motor racing..... since it may be forced upon all of us someday.

Guest bigfat
It seems that  infrastructuresate virtual supply-chains have transformed cutting-edge vortals. When we as racers and fans try to  visualize user-centric systems and monetize mission-critical portals we need to  disintermediate cutting-edge experiences and try our best to  grow the plug-and-play action-items that target ubiquitous systems and will streamline front-end infomediaries.

damn, you even sound dumb trying to write inteligently! lol

I'll add definitions for you the next time, for a fee.

And it's INTELLIGENTLY!!!!!!

It pretty simple. Since there is not a protest rule in the truck series, what process do they have to follow? Who said there was even a process? This whole thing is a direct result of some team yelling on the tech pad that the 40 truck was illegal. The USRA went out of their way to insure that the crate motor was not tampered with. They did not have to do anything, there is no process. They are simply policing the current rules. Give them a break, they are trying.

If your claim is true that no process exists to verify that crate motors are legal, I'd have to take issue with that before I ever entered the series. To me, having a process by which the series can verify that crate motors remain legal is critical to attracting more teams to the series. Even more important than that is informing the competitors of what that process is. Without such a process, your expecting the teams to believe that there is no way a crate motor could be made illegal and just assume that all of your competitors' motors are legal. Unfortunately, we live in a world where crate motors can be and are tampered with, so I would not be willing to accept that belief. Since the truck series is probably the only touring series our team could or may move to, I do care about how this type of thing is handled.

It pretty simple. Since there is not a protest rule in the truck series, what process do they have to follow? Who said there was even a process? This whole thing is a direct result of some team yelling on the tech pad that the 40 truck was illegal. The USRA went out of their way to insure that the crate motor was not tampered with. They did not have to do anything, there is no process. They are simply policing the current rules. Give them a break, they are trying.

Jeff calm down man these guys are just asking questions, and they are good questions. Nobody is taking anything away from the 40 team. They are great guys and they're doing great.

DRIVERS want to WIN. There is nothing wrong with protesting a guy's win if you think he's beating you because he's cheating. That's how people have been caught! BUT you better be man enough to tell them good job when they're found legal. That exact thing happened here and everyone told the 40 team good job when he was found legal.

So now that you've posted for the entire world to see that you think "some team" just name them we know who they are was "crying" and "yelling" on the tech pad about the 40 team why don't you shut up and let them ask questions.

AND stop editing you're 5 posts. Either stand by your words like a man or think about them before you post. Sign your name too so at least we know who you are!

Cameron Moore Jr.

The small one, the big one is my dad

I drive the USRA Truck #38, I suck at qualifying so I

normally start last (thanks to 64 getting better) BUT

I AM THERE TO WIN, I just should have started in

Grand Stocks and worked my way up. For the person

that called me a "non-factor."

If you want to talk to me about what I've just said,

I'll be at THR on the 24th about 30 minutes after the pits

open up against the back fence because I don't have

a slab but I want one.

Damn, that was impressive.

$40 dollar talk out of a $2 or 3 dollar mouth!!

Archived