Mayberry finds his way back to the Winner’s Circle

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

San Antonio Speedway Public Relations Director

(210) 648-7373 (office); (210) 685-0400 (cell)

debwill@sanantoniospeedway.com

Mayberry finds his way back to the Winner’s Circle

San Antonio, TX (June 26, 2006) – It’s been a while, but Robert Mayberry finally made a return visit to Victory Lane after winning the 25-lap NASCAR Sportsman feature race at San Antonio Speedway this past Saturday night.

Mayberry is the 40-year-old veteran driver of what he calls a “2006 Montevelle,” which is actually an old Chevelle chassis in a 1983 Monte Carlo body. He’s been hanging around race tracks since he was a kid, initially as part of the drag racing crowd. Several years ago, Mayberry’s in-laws convinced him to make the switch to stock-car racing, and so he’s been racing at San Antonio Speedway since 1998.

This 1984 graduate of Southside High School is no stranger to winning races at the speedway – he won the Thunder class championships in 1999 and 2000. Mayberry also captured the Rookie of the Year title in the Charger class in 2000. He’s been competing in the NASCAR Sportsman class since 2003, and Saturday night’s victory was his first feature win in the Sportsman class.

Mayberry is blessed to have the support of his wife, Rhonda, and his 11-year-old son, Jordan. Also, since he’s currently working as an Army Recruiter, Staff Sergeant Mayberry counts on his peers at the Reagan Recruiting “Renegades” Station to cover for him at the office while he spends his Saturdays at the race track. Mayberry’s military background includes a one-year stint in Korea, three years of working with the ROTC at the University of Texas, a four-year assignment with the Fifth Army and an administrative support role for a field artillery unit.

Mayberry is glad that he made the switch to stock-car racing. “I like everybody at the speedway, including the staff, the competitors and the fans,” commented Mayberry. “And it’s all about having fun. We didn’t have the car ready at the beginning of the season, and we’ve already missed several races this year. So, we’re all out there just to have a good time.”

Although several experienced drivers threatened him for the lead on Saturday, Mayberry tried not to let them intimidate him. “I knew I had some great drivers behind me. Guys like Mark Mathias, Tator Mason, Keith Garrett, Tom Casey, Allen Alexander and, of course, the point leader Eric Knudtson – are always a threat,” said Mayberry. “I especially worry about all of the Camaros. I knew Keith Garrett was closing in on me, and I was glad that my car was running well.”

And winning is not all that matters to Mayberry. “It’s not all about winning,” stated Mayberry. It’s about being competitive more so than being dominant. And I rely on God’s spirit to help me race.”

Sponsors for Mayberry’s #21 Chevy are Rohmer Racing, Kotzur Racing Engines, C&C Signs, Loop Auto Repair, Hance Auto Parts, Oval Components, Parr Performance and Kim Rohmer Mary Kaye’s. Joe Rohmer is Mayberry’s Crew Chief, and his pit crew members are Greg Rohmer, Charlie Henley, Larry Jackson, along with Tom and John Casey.

Mayberry will be joining his competitors in a special racing event for the NASCAR Sportsman class on Saturday, July 8, that will include two 25-lap feature races – known as the Sportsman Twin 25s. In addition to the NASCAR Sportsman class, the July 8 racing action at San Antonio Speedway will also include the USRA Super Late Models and the NASCAR Dodge Weekly Series Road Runner and Grand Stock classes.

The grandstand gates will open at 5:00 p.m., and the first green flag will drop at 7 p.m.

San Antonio Speedway is the only NASCAR sanctioned short-track in the state of Texas. It is located 3.5 miles south of Loop 410 on State Highway 16 South towards Poteet, near the new Toyota facility.

Admission for the July 8 race is $20 for adults, $10 for Senior/Military with ID, $3 for children 7-12. Children 6 and under are free. Discount coupons for kids’ free admission are available at all 13 Express Lube locations.

For more information about San Antonio Speedway, call Rick Day at 210-827-4524 or call the SAS race hotline at 210-628-1499. The San Antonio Speedway website address is http://sanantoniospeedway.com. Information on USRA may be found at http://usraspeed.com.

-30-

Archived