Roll-overs @ SAS

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When Brandon went over in the street stock I thought he climed the back of Melvin Meyers car

those 2 cars seemed to be attracted to each other for some reason..........it seemed every week they would get together..........didn't brandon go over the wall backwards one time after getting together with melvin meyers in turn 1 - 2...........

rick rapp went over at cc speedway .in turn two .billy hardcastle went over turn three and cleared a tall tree .and broke his car he hurt his back . the real scary one at cc something broke in johnny whites car and went over in turn one hit a tree a light pole bounced off our trailer up side down and landed in a muddy spot where we parked each week .but sence it rained that week we had moved ten feet over .he would not get out of the car untill he knew he didnt hit anyone .luck was with us that night. and him.

man, this is a good thread :)

I also remember David Umschied rolling over at CC I believe (?) I believe it was in 3&4 and he had a tire going down for some time and it finally went. I don't remember what year but it was with TIDA, maybe late 80s early 90s.

-------------------------

Does anyone know anybody who was filming the races at SAS in the mid-late 90s. My flip was in '97, still want a copy :rolleyes: remember... there's a $100 bounty :lol:

i did not flip but the first race of the 1989 season i was the leader 6 laps in and scott sullivan didnt think i should be there so new body wet paint and i ended up slidding 120 feet on my roof .slid so far that it burned a hole through the roof .so im part of the half a...s gang. :lol::lol::lol::D<_< did make me mad thow.

I think Umschied was in the 93 or 94 season opener for the TIDA @ CC. That was a cold night at the races.

A good race Slick crashed, Grimes broke all in the late going, Charlie Heflin won that race.

93 was the last year i raced full time and that was a very cold night i believe it was 40 degrees {bur ]. that same night in pro sedans .some kid rented a car i tkink it was a honda i know it was a fwd .he came across the front of me into the infield and started flipping afew times all the way downthe back . flew up in the air just as i went under him i could see his eyes and they were very hugh .and scared i.ll never forget that one .he almost landed on my brand new car. someone has the video of that wreck .i believe neil used that in his tv promotions .or the track did one of those i believe . mike knox .do you remember who that was .

I've seen pictures of Frank Opiela's flip in turn 3 at the high banks.

I was right behind Greg Rohmer when he rolled coming out of turn 2.

And right in front of Greg Woods when he flipped in between 3 and 4.

There used to be roll overs about every week until Mr Howell fixed the walls in the turns. A Special thanks to the Howells for investing so much time and money into SAS.

Mel Krauss

Oldtimer it was in 94 when Umshied rolled in turn 3,I almost could have done the same when my new treaded McCreary went slick on the right front that night.Miller was a sponsor for the night even though it was cold those pretty blue cans sure looked good.

Oldtimer it was in 94 when Umshied rolled in turn 3,I almost could have done the same when my new treaded McCreary went slick on the right front that night.Miller was a sponsor for the night even though it was cold those pretty blue cans sure looked good.

thats why my name is oldtimer :D

Oldtimer , I believe that was Bill LaBarges Honda. Someone else was driving, that was his second car. I also remember that C.C. Speedway used that footage for years afterward in TV ads. I had a guy driving a vw for me that night and he was not only in last place but about 7 seconds behind the big wreck and he drove right into the middle of it.

Target fixation I think they call it. Wiped out the car. He was so far behind he didnt get in the commercial!!

Oldtimer , I believe that was Bill LaBarges Honda. Someone else was driving, that was his second car. I also remember that C.C. Speedway used that footage for years afterward in TV ads. I had a guy driving a vw for me that night and he was not only in last place but about 7 seconds behind the big wreck and he drove right into the middle of it.

Target fixation I think they call it. Wiped out the car. He was so far behind he didnt get in the commercial!!

the blue pinto going under that car was me .the 57 and 75 hit the wall .yeh it was a honda .that was the cold night .i knew there was going to be a wreck on the first lap just btw everyone was acting in warm up .they were trying to hit things then .i got a bad time trial do to new car blues in practice .so i had to start back there jammie and whats her name were up front .the21 car .

mike you know there are a few drivers out there who only drive no further than the end of thier nose .some still do . btw the 7 car is running now if everything goes good in practice then we will be in kyle . so dont forget to move over :lol:

Ok what lap was that on ,(testing your memory oldtimer)? I remember one on the first lap in 3 and4,because I had to do the infield dive to avoid everyone else. I had other problems after that,still finished 11th,but the 57 and 75 got a little confusing about who passed you and who you passed though.

Ok what lap was that on ,(testing your memory oldtimer)? I remember one on the first lap in 3 and4,because I had to do the infield dive to avoid everyone else. I had other problems after that,still finished 11th,but the 57 and 75 got a little confusing about who passed you and who you passed though.

it was the first lap just took the green the honda drove right into the turn two wall coming out he came across the front of me .he clipped the 57 that was in front of me .went into the infield and did a flipping dance and ended up at just before turn three. the 57 75 and someone else piled up together right about were the exit is now i ended up passing under him on his last flip . i started 7 th and ended up on 3 rd . on the restart and after trying to pass jammie and irene my fuel filter clogged up and i pulled out .not knowing i was still going to be abel to start the feature from where i would have finished if i would of stayed in .but no one told me that they were going to take the first six cuz of wrecks earlier. or something like so i just got in my truck and went home . i believe the races lasted to one or two .i not shure of that thow .does this help .oh and that was not the feature race.prob the reason i remember that race cuz it was the first and only tps race i have ever enter.d as a driver and owner .

mike knows that race .what car were you driveing then. you must like dirt .there have been a few drivers who like to run and pass there .makes me mad . ralph and gb used to do that .and i told ralph if he did it under me which he did that i would slow down and keep him there if i had to loose a race i would .well he didnt get my message and knocked the oil filter plug or somthing like that on his vw 1600 stroker and blew the darn thing up and blaimed it on me .but i ment what i said .he never try.ed that again :lol: .

I was in a #5 black capri,but I think I only stuck 2 tires down there,even had my dirt setup on because we thought it was stiff enough,but found out the struts were shot.Also found I had a kinked fuel line,dang wonder what it could have done without the problems I had.Wish I was ready for THR,but have to work all weekend and the 4th.Maybe if I can get ready for SAS,depending on work again.

In keeping with the subject of this thread, I remember my old friend Woody bought a car from Mike Balzer. He won the first race out in it. But it wasn't long before things weren't going so well. He got bumped by someone on the back straight, shot up the track in turn 3, climbed the wall and flipped over. By the time we ran over there he was out of the car. He said something about the brakes dont work upside down. Later in the season he crashed into that big old tractor tire at the end of pit road. From out of that tire came some skunks that had taken up residence in there. Everyone that was running to see the wreck ended up running away from the scared skunks. Did I mention that Woody was kind of hard on racecars?

Archived