Roll-overs @ SAS

I saw the topic about Scott's roll @ SAS. It's ironic that he was the 1st person to get to my car when I flipped down the backstraight in '97. I believe he had broke an engine that night and was just watching. He was there before my car came to a complete stop & I noticed he was wearing cheap shoes, like I did. LOL.

So how many roll-overs have there been @ SAS? What do ya'll remember?

Jr

PS: *Oh, I do have a standing offer of $100 for a copy of that race. I spread the word that season but nothing became of it. I've had a few leads but still have never seen that race on tape. If someone has it, please PM me here. thanks!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Around 86 or 87 there was a driver named Goose that drove in the street stock class, and between turns 3 and 4 he hit the wall went air born and did some mid air flips, landed and slid down the to the bottom of the track. that was one heck of a ride.

a few years back i believe it was a mopar late model that over drove turn one and left the track and john kelly did that in turn 3 and someone else went over in turn two and all i could see was front to back bumper flips .it was a white iroc or something like that

flyingaces....your post brought back some memories.....

that was in 88 during a special Bomber 50 or 75 lap race...I was driving my brothers Bomber because he was sick. Was running somewhere in the top 10, a little bit behind Jim Teague. Was getting to 3 and heard the loudest bang(even in the car over our motor noise) ...just a solid thud. Looked up the track and saw that car coming down the track over and over and me headed right for him......We turned hard left and went off down thru the infield between the light poles. That was a scary moment. I think the drivers name was Goose Edwards or something like that. We were amazed he walked away from it....sitting there on the front straight just praying he would get out of that car.

Billy Bailey

In 1985 dad broke an engine in his heat race. Well Waldo Harper had a new car ( didn't he always ) at the track and was nice enough to let dad drive to protect his points lead. It was double points night after all :) Anyhow, I forgot how many laps into the race it was but coming off of 4 everybody checked up and somehow dad ended up flipping Waldo's car 4 or 5 times IN THE AIR before landing "safely" on all fours just about where the winner's circle is now. I remember mom not breathing until she saw dad hop out of the car & the stands went wild.

there was that guy that flipped on the back stretch in the street stocks back when greg meuth was running them..........he was a black guy who ran a white car sponsored by cambridge automotive.........cant remember his name off hand, just remember the car.........

then last year wasnt it when the female roadrunner driver rolled over..........

there have been a few roll overs, not as many as there were before they fixed the walls there.......seemed like every weekend someone would go over the walls at sas..........

flyingaces....your post brought back some memories.....

that was in 88 during a special Bomber 50 or 75 lap race...I was driving my brothers Bomber because he was sick. Was running somewhere in the top 10, a little bit behind Jim Teague. Was getting to 3 and heard the loudest bang(even in the car over our motor noise) ...just a solid thud. Looked up the track and saw that car coming down the track over and over and me headed right for him......We turned hard left and went off down thru the infield between the light poles. That was a scary moment. I think the drivers name was Goose Edwards or something like that. We were amazed he walked away from it....sitting there on the front straight just praying he would get out of that car.

Billy Bailey

I remember asking goose if he was hurt, he just smiled and said only mt pride and pocket book. goose was a funny guy

The first roll over I remember was late 70-early 80 time frame. It was Dale Bragg, driving a blue and white #99. He only ran Hwy 16 for a little while, before relocating to Oklahoma where he is still today. He got in the fence between 3 and 4, and slid on his roof down to the bottom of the track.

Dale is the son of Don Bragg, an area legend who has been monetioned several times befor on this board.

He got in the fence between 3 and 4, and slid on his roof down to the bottom of the track.

Reading this brings back memories of tommy beidagar flipping in 1 and 2 and ice skating up side down on top of the wall. that is the closest some one has came to being a member of the over the wall club.

brandon bendele has been over the wall in turn one and joe armendia has been over the wall. i believe when brandon went over it had rained fora few days before the race and his car landed in the mud. Russel Story has been over a couple times. i remeber that the walls were like ramps back in the days until they repaved the track and fixedthe walls.

I know that my brother went over the wall in the early 90's between 1 and 2 and landed upside down in a water hole caused by a bunch of rain and I also remember Eddie B. going into 3 and flipping end over end over the wall and into the parking lot striking I believe was his sisters car. I remember after the accident and he was allright that it was announced in the stands that an owner with the liscense plate # so and so please come to the parking lot. Man that was the good old days. At least :blink: for me.

Another roll-over story: I believe it was Sam Range, sometime in the late 80s got into the wall in 1&2 and ended up rolling over on his top. heheeh He then proceeded to slide down the track.... kinda like we did when we were kids :unsure: We'd find a hood or trunk lid & slide down the bank in the turn down into the grass. It's all fun & games till someone bites it and one poor kid did. He survived though :)

I believe it was mentioned above, but dad is a member of the "over the wall club". I believe it was 93 or 94 he went over the 1&2 wall. It didn't hurt the car at all, but they actually brought it back over the wall w/ wreckers & they cut down 3 tires, messed up the skirting & did a good wallupin' on the air box :lol:

Jr

oh yea, also in 1985 in the 1st race of the season I believe, Greg Davidson went over the 3&4 wall and took out some cars which used to be allowed to park right outside the walls. There was fluid on the track, Ken Neal was leading & dad spun in the fluid. Entering 3, Greg got underneath the #40 car & I'm guessing hit the fluid as well, and he took the #40 to the wall w/ him and he (Greg) was outta' there! Maybe if Greg happens to see this thread, he can fill us in w/ better details.

Lonesome,

The night Greg went out, the 40 blew an engine in front of the field going into 3. He spun around, hit the wall in 3. Greg got in the oil, hit the 40, nose to nose, which launched him out of the track. I was standing on the back pit wall when it happened. When he left the track I could the 96 on the roof and then on the left door as he went out. Greg hit the fourth row of cars in the parking lot. Took the roof of of one car and tore up 3 more.

When we got to him, he was out cold. But thank God he came to and was able to get out by himself. That car was the same car your Dad flipped. Waldo bought the car from Dick Anderson. Waldo sold to it to Greg two weeks after your Dad wrecked it.

Terry Barden

Yes, Greg remembers his trip over the wall at SAS well. We talked about it at the TMS race a couple of weeks ago. It was one of the most amazing sights I've ever seen at SAS. The wrecked cars on Turn 3 literally launched Greg into the air and over the wall. He didn't even come close to landing inside the fence surrounding the track.

When they brought his car back around to the pits after the raced had ended, I don't think any sheet metal was left on the car. We were all relieved that Greg walked away uninjured.

Over the walls,

Audie Howel went over in a heat race one night. Way back in the day Wayne Norell went over and took out some flag poles. I do recall Lance Gaither going over in 1&2 in the early 90s. When Brandon went over in the street stock I thought he climed the back of Melvin Meyers car. Not real sure, but there are many more stories...

Slick Yoemans was the first to leave the place, driving the ex-Labonte car that Terry won the 77 championship in, and Slick the 79 Championship. When he went over the turn 1 wall, it was owned by Alan Yates.

Pinky Pinkston from Palestine was the second, then a whole host of folks like Eddie Bierschwale, Ricci Ware JR, Bubba Menard, Kelly, and many more.

I believe the car that Greg put out of the park was a Howe, Dick Anderson was a Howe distributor at that time. And I think Greg's next car after this one was his V-6 Car.

When they brought his car back around to the pits after the raced had ended, I don't think any sheet metal was left on the car. We were all relieved that Greg walked away uninjured.

Deb, If I remember correctly, the chassis was broken in 3 places as well.

Do you remember, a little while after the crash, they made an announce on the loudspeaker for the owners of the cars he hit to come to the track office. We were back on pit road by now, and as they called out the cars and he license plate numbers, we could hear one guy up there hollar "AAWWWW SH*T!!!!!

SASPEEDRACER24 - You heard correctly.

Tommy Davis in the red and yellow #6 Camaro did it in a TIDA Late Model Series race at San Antonio International Speedway.

He cleared the leaning wall between turn #1 and turn #2. I am not sure whether he flipped and landed on his wheels or just landed on his wheels. What I am sure of is that he drove his car around the outside of the back straight-a-way wall. When he arrived the pit office, the pit gate was opened for Tommy and he drove his Camaro back to his trailer on the pit road

Neil Upchurch

Former President

TIDA Late Model Series

I used to have some pictures that my dad took of someone's car in turns 3-4 after a race that had hit a Corvette that was parked there I wish I could find some of those old pics. I seem to remember it being almost at the apex of 3-4 I would guess that it was sometime in the 80's...

Also in that same time period I remember someone hitting the gate on the frontstretch where the fans cross after the races shooting him to the infield for some reason I remember it being a red colored car, well it was red before the accident...lol...

One more little question... Who was it that welded a Miller Light beer can to the trunk lid of thier LM?

Archived