Quarter Midgets at THR

Budman

now it's time to get them in sat. show soon.....sat nights when we race. like with the NASKARTS or a night they aint runnin....

P.S. idk if that is already planned or not/ in the works, But i'd like to see it.....

MAybe i have missed the point here but im pretty sure TQ has for sure. TQ wheer do you suggest these younger kids that want to race and try to move up the racing ladder start? Man i have never heard anyone so negetive about everything unless someone is paying you to market them or teir race team, which really what have you done, why do you seem to think you always have a better idea or are better than the next person.

I give kuddos for aaron and THR for putting these events togeather. I mean even if its just pure business TQ

10 nascarts X 26 dollar pit pass = 260

and what about a family memeber that may have come with them

Or the hot dogs they eat and beer they may drink in the stands dud dont be so negitive

THR KEEP ON KEEPIN ON

What do you think of the BMX track in the infield TQ? Its racing and its growing intrest for the racetrack as a whole. I see no reason why a QM track cant be made. i wonder what i would cost to use the front stretch of THR and cut a small oval into the infield so that these kids can start racing at THR and maybe one day move into hobbys, streets and then LM's. I see this as a huge positive

Nah, we don't need anything slower and more boring than NASKARTS. Qmidgets are great, on a Qmidget track.

It's funny, my brother-in-law says the same stuff, but when those NASKARTS are on the track he sure does seem to get into it. He'd never admit it, but you can tell.

However, I also have sat next to another gentleman who, after the SS's and LM's have ran, he'll leave, even if they run first. So, Instead of complaining about a kid who may grow up to be the next (big name here), or even the kids who are out there having fun instead of throwing rocks through your windows in your house, or doing drugs, just go down, grab a coke and relax. Some people just gotta' gripe about everything, I never have understood that.

Aaron, great job with JRA and RCQMA, I'm sure you've changed many lives for the better with your efforts.

Guest Mary Ann Naumann

TQ, you need a good answer for that reply, none of us in racing ever want to be accused of downing any class of cars and certainly anything to do with children, I respect and like you TQ, but man, sometimes I can't believe what I read from you, :unsure: and JC, you ever thought of Promoting!?! Great input, thanks for the support, I am all over keeping the kids out of drugs and into racing! Aaron, great job. :rolleyes:

JC,

TQ isn't the only one on here who isnt afraid to voice his option when he doesnt agree... I seem to recall you were pretty vocal when I made the statement the that guys who race at a specific track should be asked how they feel about certain rule changes... I also seem to recall that your company was one of the first ones mentioned that Terry D. and USRA asked... So seems to me again that if your entitled to your option, TQ is entitled to his...

On a side note, I think JC's idea of a smaller track using the front stretch would be fun to watch the quarter midgets. I personally think there DOES need to be a venue where the kids can race...

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK THR...

Man.. cool pictures of a moment for kids at the track get posted and this is what happens!!

THR as a whole is entirly to big for these kids to race on... they race on a 1/20th of a mile track... *(About 1/8th the size of THR.. )

Would it be cool to have a QMA track in the infield like the BMX track... sure would!!

Lets not turn this good moment in to a slaughter of TQ and Shawn please..

Man i have never heard anyone so negetive about everything unless someone is paying you to market them or teir race team

or if it is something that tavo has done........it is good that the local track is nurturing the young kids in the quarter midgets because that is where the tracks future drivers will come from..........home grown racers so to speak......keep up the good work aaron and thunderhill, im sure the appreciation and pride from those young kids is worth more than any nascar west race ever will provide......

Aaron,

Keep up the good work, I know your heart is in it for the kids... I do agree, it's all about the kids...

What I understood from TQ and he doesn't need my backing is that even with the NASKARTS the pace is much slower. I've been there twice when they ran and from the flip side of what we are used to they seem to draft well together and respect one another. But theres not alot of ACTION... Fans want action... As Aaron mentioned, when the Quarters run they run on a smaller track. On that smaller track there is probably more action...

Be nice if someone having some money would pay to have addition done to the track... ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE...

Don't see how I'm in a hole, Budman. My point was not against the kids, or even against the karts, but against putting on a boring show that doesn't attract fans.

As I said, Qmidget racing is great, on a Qmidget track. On a 3/8-mile oval, it's just silly. And boring. Places for kids to race? Existing Qmidget tracks, build an infield track at THR (though that hasn't actually been suggested), Legends cars, Legacy cars and so on.

Concentrating on the back gate means the racers pay for everything, but get part of it back in the form of purse money and, we hope, money for a points fund. The track has to keep some for operating expenses, and usually doesn't have enough.

But paying spectators bring money, enjoy the show, and go away. If they enjoy it enough, they come back and pay again. And, guess what? You don't have to give any of their money back; it all goes to the racers and track owners.

The logical solution here would seem not to be in increasing the number of people through the back gate, but increasing the number of people through the front gate, and making sure they have a good time when they are there.

I've been to both THR and SAS many times in the past few years, and the racing has been very good at both tracks; on some nights it is outstanding. But the only people who know about either track are the ones who have been coming all along. We need more spectators. With enough spectators, it wouldn't be necessary for racers to shoulder so much of the financial strain. At worst, the tracks could lower the pit entrance cost, at best, they could eliminate it for competitors.

How do you get "negativity" out of that?

How do you get "negativity" out of that?

TQ,

Could it be when you say that Qmidget racing is "boring", "slow" and "silly?"

People tend to take offence when you speak of their racing endeavors in a negative way.

Nick Holt

I remember when I was Race Director of the San Antonio Quarter Midgets, we raced at SAS one time .We raced on the front straight in front of the grandstands.We put cones on each end for the corners about the distance of a regular 1/4 midget track. It was tight, but the drivers figured it out and had a blast and the fans enjoyed it too.I think it would be a hell of a deal to have a race one nite or several nites between the Austin and San Antonio Quarter Midget Associations at THR .Some of those kids racing in 1/4's now are your future and if you dont keep them interested,you will lose them.I hate to say it,but that is what is helping drag racing grow, is the junior drag racing program.Every race I travel to work,if it be a local or divisional race,the kids are part of the program also,they're racing right along with the adults and when they are old enough,most move up to the big cars since they have been around it.If you dont include them,they dont know there is another level to move up to and stray on to something else and sometimes that something else may not be too good.Get their interest while you can before it's to late.

Tommy, racing the Qmidgets on the front straight at SAS was a great idea. The front straight at SAS is wide enough and flat enough toward the pits to make that a viable proposition, though trying it at THR may be problematic. Aside from a different place to race, I'm sure the Qmidget kids were pumped to be racing on a big track with more spectators than most had probably seen at quarter midget races; maybe the same kind of feeling high school football players have when they make it past District and get to play a playoff game in something like the Alamodome.

One concern is the lack of Qmidget tracks; only two in this area. Having a track at THR would be a plus, but someone would have to step up to fund it.

Another solution that works well on the East Coast is the Bandolero-Legends or Legacy progression, which allows Dad to haul his Street Stock or whatever out to the local track with the kid's Bandolero in the back of the rig because they can both race on the same track on the same night. That makes it easier (and cheaper) than trying to schedule Dad's races and the kid's races on different nights at different tracks. Unfortunately, no one has developed a good Bandolero program in Central Texas, though Graham runs them at HMP and TMS has a couple of series for "Bandos," Legends and so on.

Racing Qmidgets at THR without building another small track means the Qmidgets are running on a track over seven times longer than they are used to racing, making gears and whether or not the Qmidget engines can pull that tall a gear problematic. I would think there is also an insurance component in there as well, as insuring cars to run on a 1/20-mile track is different than insuring them to run on a 3/8-mile track.

As the Qmidgets usually run an all-day program, particularly for their big races, fitting them into a race night at THR would also probably mean they would only run with the "big cars" on special occasions.

Though more expensive, the best option might be to build a separate Qmidget track at THR that could be raced whether or not the big cars were there.

I agree that we need to "market" to kids and try to make them feel a part of the program, we just need to do it in such a way that we don't slow down the "show" and chase off the paying spectators we must be making efforts to attract.

Nah, we don't need anything slower and more boring than NASKARTS. Qmidgets are great, on a Qmidget track.

I’ve been reading this thread and as Budman stated "Speed is a relative thang." I believe Tqj3 was trying to make the point that THR already has the NASKARTS for kids (I’ve never seem the NASKARTS, but I’m under the impression they are for kids) and that’s great, but when it comes to putting on a show that people will come and pay for, NASKARTS and Qmidgets might not be the best idea.

Everything is relative when it comes to racing, Tqj3 said he believes 3/8 of a mile track is too big for the Qmidgets. I’m sure there are people who would say the same thing about the SLMs racing at TMS. People who are watching IRL cars may look at the SLMs and say why are they here they belong on a short track, not a big track.

I can only write about what I’ve seen and that’s the Bandoleros that race at HMP, which is also great for the kids, parents and their friends, but as a spectator, my personal opinion is they should be a class that is run as an intermission show. It’s like a little league game, all that are involved have a great time, but crowds of people aren’t showing up to cheer for the stars of tomorrow.

JMO :D:P;):huh:

Guest Mary Ann Naumann

Just FYI, the NASKARTS are all men & women, no children, if you see them drafting and going the speeds they are going, you pray none of them spin or crash, I hold my breath most of the time they are on the track!

they already have the JRA kids bike races there... I didnt mean to start a bash session. I've never seen a Q-midget and thought it might be interesting... I can try to explain a naskart, but anyway, it's basically a Shifter cart that you normally see on a "road course" I dont believe these are shifter but they are the same body style. You sit an inch from the ground with the motor right beside you and it's the 1 cylendars i believe also....

-Shawn

Archived