San Antonio Speedway Weather Report

debwill

I just got off the phone with both Terry and Rick.

It has already rained quite a bit at San Antonio Speedway this morning. The front straightaway has a lot of standing water, and the parking lot is muddy right now.

Although it looks like the weather is clearing somewhat right now, radar indicates more showers forming in the southwest (near Uvalde) and heading straight for SAS. Most of the weather sources are showing 60%-70% chance of rain through 10P.

We will make our decision on tonight's races within the next hour or two. We hate to cancel the races this evening, especially with the predicated car count, but we also don't want our drivers and families incur unnecessary travel expenses.

We know many of your will be disappointed if we cancel the races . . . and so will we. We've spent a lot of advertising dollars for this week's race on both radio and TV, flyers, coupons, etc., so it's not an easy decision for us to make.

We will be posting the weather status on TSZ and all the associated websites (SAS & USRA) as soon as the decision is made.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CC,

As we explained in our press release (see announcement section), we made our decision based on several factors. The prediction for this evening is still over 50%. Also, the track is already soaked and underwater. Bummer!!

so was the decision based mainly on the fact that the track was already wet, or the fact that more rain is expected? if it's the first, i can understand, but i want to know where you are getting your forecasts. every one i have seen (weather.com, mysa.com) shows the rain has moved out, and only small pockets to the west remain. a wet track is one thing, but to cancel with so many cars ready to race, due to the fact that it "might" rain some more is probably not the best call.

oh well.

CC,

As we explained in our press release (see announcement section), we made our decision based on several factors. The prediction for this evening is still over 50%. Also, the track is already soaked and underwater. Bummer!!

no mention of the parking lot here. i figured if it was part of the problem, it would have been brought up.

Blame the parking lot omission on me. Terry did mention how bad it was when he called from the track, but I didn't include it in the press release. As you might imagine, we wanted to get the word out quickly.

If you go to the "behind the scenes" section of the National Weather Service website, you get to read what the weather guys are talking about. Some of it is pretty technical, but what they are saying is that another wave of thunderstorms is likely to hit the San Antonio area in the evening.

The SAS grounds took a lot of water this morning and the parking area is basically mud at this point. Even if there were no more rain coming this evening (which, apparently, there is if you believe the NWS) the parking lot situation would have made things very iffy at best.

Nick Holt

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SAN ANGELO TX

1221 PM CDT SAT JUN 17 2006

.UPDATE...

DID A MINOR UPDATE TO INCREASE WINDS TODAY. OTHERWISE CU FIELD

REDEVELOPING SOUTH OF THE CONCHO VALLEY. DRYLINE EXTENDED FROM

EAST OF FORT STOCKTON TO WEST OF LUBBOCK AND AMARILLO. BEST CHANCE

OF THUNDERSTORMS ACTIVITY REMAINS ACROSS THE BIG COUNTRY THIS

AFTERNOON...WHERE A THUNDERSTORM COMPLEX MAY DEVELOP IN UNMODIFIED

AIR...THEN MOVE SOUTHEAST.

&&

.AVIATION...

POTENTIAL FOR THUNDERSTORMDEVELOPMENTT AFTER 21Z STILL EXISTS. PUT

VCTY TSRA AT KSJT WHERE STORMS MAY BE MORE SCATTERED....AND A TEMPO

TSRA 22-02Z FOR KABI.

&&

.PREV DISCUSSION... (ISSUED 1039 AM CDT SAT JUN 17 2006)

UPDATE...

MCS HAS MOVED EAST OF THE CWA. ATMOSPHERE PRETTY WELL

MODIFIED...ESPECIALLY SOUTH OF THE BIG COUNTRY...BUT STILL

SOME MID LEVEL INSTABILITY INDICATED...WITH SOME ACCAS IN THE CONCHO

VALLEY AND SOUTHWARD. ALSO...DRYLINE WAS JUST WEST OF THE CWA IN

THE PERMIAN BASIN AND TRANSPECOS... WHICH MAY BE ANOTHER FOCUS FOR

CONVECTION. 12Z ETA MODEL STILL INDICATED MCS DEVELOPMENT IN THE

BIG COUNTRY...THEN MOVING SOUTHEAST INTO CENTRAL TEXAS IN THE

EVENING.

You are right, I think the parking lots is the determining factor, don't want a mess and have cars getting stuck. The track is no problem, they have dried it up in the past, even while they were racing. It looks like it will not rain in the area anymore, but the damage is done. At least it's in Texas and not Florida or some other place. Maybe the teams that paid for practice don't have to pay next time or just a small fee. Schedule it on a day when other series are off, doubt they will make the trip, but who knows. I remember one of the Oktoberfast events, O'Neal from I-70, came down wrecked his car in practice, it got rained out and rescheduled. The next time the race got rescheduled again, and they were already on their way, made the turn around after they had already gotten past Fort Worth, but still made the trip back for the following rescheduled date. Led some laps and motor broke. I bet a lot of our race teams have similar situations to tell, that's just the way the wheel turns some times. They are aware that they will never break even. That's why I respect a lot of the drivers and race teams, because of all the hard work and effort they put into to their dedication to racing. You can't blame track management, there are just some things you can't control, but damn that weather is looking good right now!!!! :P

what a disappointment, the weather is fantastic now. is it out of the question to wait until later to make a decision? the sun has been shining for over 3 hours now. i realize there is a schedule to follow, but is 4 hours of practice really necessary?

not trying to stir the pot, but as a fan, this really is hard to understand

what a disappointment, the weather is fantastic now. is it out of the question to wait until later to make a decision? the sun has been shining for over 3 hours now. i realize there is a schedule to follow, but is 4 hours of practice really necessary?

not trying to stir the pot, but as a fan, this really is hard to understand

Of course everyone invovled is disappointed. We are all disappointed just like you. We wanted this race evening to be a huge success - and all indications are that it was going to be.

But I don't think it's hard to understand why the event was postponed.

Suppose the track decided to go ahead and race but when the spectators arrived they discovered that the parking lot was not usable. Or suppose it started pouring during the evening just like the crystal-ball gazers at the NWS said it would.

Well, you and I would be reading how the track made a big mistake not to call the races off early on Saturday morning to save people from having to travel from wherever.

That Terry decided to go with the NWS prediction (at the time) of a 70-80% percent chance of heavy weather Saturday evening showed good sense.

Nick Holt

nice PC response, TD will be very happy.

Like I said earlier, where are these forecasts coming from? I never saw one that said a more than 30% chance. Your post above is for San Angelo??? Again, I can understand if the parking lot was too wet at the time, but this reoccuring theme that more rain was imminent is ridiculous.

It's over, they aren't racing, I know this. Still, why not wait at least another hour or two to make a decision to see what transpires. Teams that are coming from a long way are mostly already in town right? Any fans that are coming surely won't be heading out at 11:00 right?

Rant over, just mad that there is no racing tonight, when all signs point to a beautiful night.

everyone will have an opinion but if the managment team would of held off and it did rain i am willing to bet that the same people that are complaining now would be complaining then on why they didnt make the call sooner. I came down from Ft Worth so yeah i wanted to race but when we woke this morning and turned the TV on it didnt look good, we will just come back and race when they reschedule it and im sure you will make it up then too, so for now please quit complaining.

Thanks

821, there are several tracks available for lease or purchase. Feel free to dive right in and get ya one and you can be the one taking all the heat on days like these. Better yet, how about you footing the bill for having all the cars in the parking lot towed out of the mud!

Everyone has a "better" idea, yet no one wants to pursue it, just complain how others are doing it. Go figure! <_<

i think you guys are mistaking my questions as "complaining"

you can't even ask questions around here without people getting their panties all in a wad.

i am not "giving heat", I am simply asking questions. did you not read where I said that if the parking lot was too wet, that is understandable? again, the theme here is that more rain was "surely" going to come.

"go buy your own track" very intelligent. you come up with that yourself?

Rant over, just mad that there is no racing tonight, when all signs point to a beautiful night.

Reread the rest of your posts 821, sounds like bitching and moaning to me---and appearantly several others. Guess WE were all wrong? <_<

"go buy your own track" very intelligent. you come up with that yourself?

Don't misquote me. Acting like my Ex-girlfriend will get you nowhere! :lol::lol::lol:

Whats the weather doing right now?

So Shane, did you know that at 10-11AM this morning when many teams would have had to been on the road? If so, I'm sure the weather channel has an opening for you! ;):D:lol:

Archived