Munter keeps up with the Boys at TMS

For Immediate Release – June 10, 2006

(210) 415-1251

(210) 690-8564

cnholt@sbcglobal.net

nick@texasspeedzone.com

Leilani Munter Keeps up with the Boys at Texas Motor Speedway

By: Debbie Williams

Fort Worth, TX (June 10, 2006) – Leilani Munter was one of the two female competitors in the USRA Konica Minolta 100 Super Late Model race at Texas Motor Speedway earlier today. After qualifying fifth in a 22-car field, Munter finished the 70-lap race in the fourth position.

Munter was lapped by the USRA Texas Two-Step race winner, Chris Davidson, on Lap 66, but she still managed to hold on to her position until the end of the race. “Overall, I was really happy with my finish in the race,” said Munter. “I had a problem with lapped cars, and I think I could have finished in second place if I could have gotten around them.”

At one point in the race, Munter attempted to go three-wide to pass those lapped cars. “I thought about going three-wide at one point during the race, but then I just decided to be patient and try to keep from tearing up my car,” commented Munter.

USRA race sponsor, Konica Minolta, is also the sponsor for Munter’s 2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. “I wanted to race with the USRA last year at Texas Motor Speedway but I wasn’t able to land a sponsor in time for the race,” said Munter. “I’m so happy with the full sponsorship from Konica Minolta, and we’re planning to run a full racing schedule this year.”

Unlike many of the other drivers in the USRA Super Late Model Series, Munter did not come from a racing background. “I got interested in racing while I was in college,” commented Munter. “I wasn’t raised in a racing family, but now I have my family’s full support. I look at my life in two phases – before racing and after my first ride in a race car.”

Kristin Bumbera was the other female competitor in the USRA Super Late Model race. After starting 18th in the race, Bumbera dropped out on Lap 55 due to a brake fluid leak.

The USRA race at Texas Motor Speedway was the fifth stop on Munter’s 30-race schedule for this year, including several appearances with ASA Late Model Series.

--30--

Does anybody know if Leilani Munter will be at San Antonio next weekend, or does she have a prior engagement? Personally, I have three daughters, so I enjoy seeing women competing with men in any field. Good job, and good luck in the rest of the season. Hope to see you at San Antonio Speedway sometime.

Tommy Casey

Tommy,

No, I don't think she's planning to race at SAS next weekend. She said she had 30 races planned this year, mainly with the SAS Late Model South Series.

I think she is planning to come to SAS in October for the ASA race. I know your daughters will really enjoy meeting her. She was very friendly to all of the USRA staff, drivers and fans this past weekend.

See you Saturday!

Congrats on the great run Leilani.

But I now wonder how the points will read now w/ 2 #57s. I thought once a number was registered in the USRA series there could only be one car w/ that number no matter if they show up for a race or not <shrug>. No disrespect intended, it was a great run for Leilani and we wish her the best for the rest of the year, but I'd like to see a different # on her car @ the next USRA race she attends.

if i originally registered the number, and they asked me to put an x on my car because someone else decided to show up with MY number, i wouldnt put an x on it either, so i dont blame ya'll on that deal. and for the series to allow someone else to use a registered number, doesnt show a lot of respect to the person who paid the fees to run the number for the season..........if she is running octoberfast, the same thing is bound to happen again.........

leilani.............just put an X on it for the sake of arguement when running usra races. he's pretty much a local legend aroud here , and if those in charge can't muster the respect then can you do it for them ?

She will prolly have the class to do that CrazyH. Somebody has to :) Maybe we could incorporate her into Team 57 Racing :D And... my intentions are not to cause conflict, but resolution. I'm confused yet again as to what the rules are LOL

Prolly so but it isn't supposed to happen at all. Everyone is given 3 choices for a number as per the official USRA entry form, "NO EXCEPTIONS". If your number is taken, you get pick # 2, #3, & so on. Black & white.

oh hey Jason on another note, do you think you might be coming to SA for the truck & mod race on the 24th?

I just spoke with Rick Day regarding Leilani's car number.

Leilani registered for the TMS race under #57K. Since the #57 USRA registered driver did not attend the TMS race (John Kelly), Leilani was not required to change the number.

If both of them show up for any future races together, e.g., Oktober'FAST,' John Kelly will keep the #57 and Leilani will have to change her car number to #57K.

The points for Leilani will be shown as #57K on our post-race reports.

Archived