Rookies and Veterans to go head-to-head at TMS

For Immediate Release – June 9, 2006

(210) 415-1251 (cell)

(210) 690-8564 (office)

cnholt@sbcglobal.net

nick@texasspeedzone.com

USRA Rookie Crop to Clash with Veterans in USRA Konica Minolta 100 Shootout

By Debbie Williams & J M Hallas

Fort Worth, TX (June 9, 2006) – When the green flag flies over the United States Racing Association (USRA) Super Late Model Konica Minolta 100 tomorrow evening at Texas Motor Speedway (TMS), the field will be just about a 50-50 split between the TMS veterans and first-timers. Of the 22 drivers who have qualified for tomorrow’s race, ten will be making their first start at the 1.5-mile high-banked super speedway in Fort Worth, Texas.

Heading the charge for the USRA rookie contingent is current Super Late Model points leader, Casey Smith. Smith has dominated the USRA SLM series this year, claiming wins at both San Antonio Speedway and Thunder Hill Raceway in Kyle, Texas.

“I was at least one second slower than the Davidsons in practice,” said Smith. “I’m really excited about placing third in qualifying. So far, the track seems pretty easy to drive. I know I’m going fast, but it still seems slow on such a big track. I know the Davidsons are a big threat, but I feel I have a good enough car to run with them.”

Another first-time TMS racer, Matt Merrell, has moved up from the USRA Modified Series ranks. He posted the 10th fastest time today. Merrell agrees with Smith’s assessment of the track. “Even though I know I’m going fast, the track seems slow.”

Joining the TMS rookies is Jonathan Beason from Broken Arrow, Oklahoma. “I’ve been picking up speed, but I could have used more practice time,” stated Beason. “I’d like to do well this weekend so I’ll be able to race in the second half of the Texas Two Step at San Antonio Speedway next weekend.”

With limited experience on asphalt, Chad Wheeler, a dirt-modified hotshoe from Muskogee, Oklahoma, echoes the remarks of his competitors. “It’s my first trip to Texas Motor Speedway and we’ve made quite a few adjustments on the car. I didn’t realize how fast I was going until I passed the posts on the track,” commented Wheeler. “This is definitely different from racing on dirt.”

The entire Bumbera Race Team out of the Houston area is making its TMS debut this weekend. Kristin Bumbera, the daughter of long-time Super Late Model driver Kenny Bumbera, has been racing go-karts since she was seven years old. “I’m hoping my go-kart and Late Model experience will help me tackle TMS,” said Bumbera. “And I’m not even scared!” Bumbera’s teammates on the track are Ed Mann and Matt Smith.

The USRA Konica Minolta 100 race is slated for Saturday, June 10, with the green flag expected to drop at 5:45 p.m.

--30--

Archived