Davidsons top Practice Speed Charts at TMS

For Immediate Release – June 1, 2006

(210) 415-1251 (cell)

(210) 690-8564 (office)

cnholt@sbcglobal.net

nick@texasspeedzone.com

Davidson Duo - Father and Son - Top Charts in USRA Konica Minolta 100 Practice

By J M Hallas

Fort Worth, TX. (June 9, 2006) The dynamic Davidson duo – veteran USRA driver Greg Davidson and son Chris Davidson - topped the speed charts Friday in the United States Racing Association Super Late Model practice for Saturday’s Konica Minolta 100 at Texas Motor Speedway (TMS) in Fort Worth.

fastest Texas-based touring series to get track time before evening qualifying for the Konica Minolta 100 held on Saturday as part of the USRA Super Late Model, Texas Two-step Nationals on the high-banked 1.5 mile super speedway.

Chris Davidson, winner of the 2002 Super Late Model event at TMS, topped the field with a lap of 35.003 seconds @ 154.272 MPH while Chris’s dad, also a Super Late Model race winner at the 1.5-mile super speedway in 2003, was close behind, turning in a lap timed at 35.371 seconds @ 152.667 MPH.

Lelani Munter, one of two female drivers entered, timed in third quickest with a 35.980-second clocking @ 150.083 MPH.

“We’re pretty good,” Chris Davidson said. “I’d just like to qualify in the top five. We have a little left, but I think my dad does too. There may be some sandbagging going on until qualifying.”

“Our experience here helps us prior to getting to the track,” Davidson explained. “We pay close attention to detail at the shop. Once you get here you have to run with what you have.”

“The Hoosier tires aren’t showing any wear,” the Pearland, Texas, resident said when asked about the Hoosier Tires. USRA runs American Racer tires on their short track events. “Maybe once they go through a heat cycle they will. If not, they might be a concern for the race. We may go with our practice tires for qualifying and the race.”

“I get no respect,” joked Greg Davidson about his son’s quicker practice time. “We’re going to try a couple things. I’ll let him out-qualify me and beat him in the race. Tires are going to be a concern. They aren’t showing any wear. If they don’t wear they don’t get the chance for the pores to open and cool properly. I don’t think the rubber from the other series racing here is going to matter in these cars.”

Current USRA Super Late Model points leader, Casey Smith was sixth on the board and looking for ways to get more out of his car. “We’re looking for a little more speed,” Smith said. “The crate motor with the restrictor plate doesn’t have the horsepower. We knew that, but it’s the only motor we have. Hopefully I can free it up some and get some more speed.”

Current San Antonio Speedway NASCAR Late Model points leader and former Busch and NASCAR Truck Series driver Joe Aramendia experienced the only on-track incident during practice. Aramendia spun his car coming off turn 4 and slid through the grass on the front stretch. Fortunately Aramendia avoided any contact with the wall or other competitors.

Archived