Feedback from a SAS Fan

debwill

On Monday morning, we received an e-mail from one of our race fans with some suggestions for improving our show at San Antonio Speedway. This fan told us what he liked and also what he thought we could improve. Although the e-mail was signed by the fan, his complete name has been omitted for posting on TSZ:

I recently started attending the races at your speedway last season and just wanted to let you know that your shows are excellent. I particularily enjoyed the splendid competition in your Street Stock class at the June 3rd show. The top six cars remained together throughout the entire race and the clean driving kept the spectators on the edge of their seats. The Late Model feature was good but was more of the same. Understandably there is a lower car count this season, I'm sure partially due to the gas prices. What is racing fuel costing now? Ten bucks a gallon? The road runner class provided plenty of laughs.

But with any entertainment venue there are a few things that could be improved and I hope you take what I have to say as constructive criticism and not intended to put down your great shows. It would really be great to see a quicker response from your wrecker crews to accidents on the track. Last night (June 3rd) there was a very bad accident just out of turn 4 where car 51 was T-boned causing major damage to 2 venicles. Fortunately the red flag was put out immediately because had it not that race most likely would have finished under the caution even though there were approximately 20 laps remaining. The first wrecker went to the number 51 car fairly quickly but the second wrecker to remove the second car did not come out to hook up the second car until the number 51 had been removed from the track. Why could not both cars have been moved simultaneously?

The car counts in the USRA Modifieds and Truck series are very meager and its not much of a show to watch 12 modifieds race for 75 laps. Granted the 3 lead cars provided excellent racing but the rest of the field was well spread out. The photo finish made the race worthwhile but even so, low car counts in these classes can have an adverse effect on your crowds. I don't know the full particulars about the rules for the USRA teams but I understand after hearing it from one of the modified competitors was that many chose not to run this year because of some new tire rule. If that is the case, what though has been given to revising that rule to get these "parked" cars back onto the tracks. These are purely personal observations of mine.

I fully intend on being there for the June 17th show to watch the USRA late models and I hope their car count can provide at least a 24 car starting feature event. My experiences with the USRA Late model racing have been very good and I hope that trend continues.

Incidently, I am 70 years old and have been a race fan since the late 40s after seeing my first race at Sharon Speedway in Hartford, OH, a track still in operation and owned by Nextel Cup driver Dave Blaney. Through the years I have seen many races throughout the Pennsylvania and Ohio regions, in the Mississippi- Arkansas area where I also owned a car and raced in the super modified division, then later in the North Texas - Oklahoma area and several events at the old Mercury and Pan American speedways here in SA. Racing has changed considerably since my first races which were more jalopy events when compared to today's sleek late models and modifieds. Some changes I do not care for but can understand why they came about. One being that back in the "old days" most short track racing started all their races in reverse order rather than todays trend to either start straight up or top 6 inverted. I thought the reverse starts provided for more racing but then I can understand a fast cars desire to not be subjected to getting torn up while negotiating a slower field ahead of him. But then again, what is competition about? Inversion of the top 6 cars in the World of Outlaws is costing that series fans because they are tiring of seeing the winners come out of the top two or three starters. Fans love competion and get a bit turned off watching the pole car scream away at the start and never really get challenged until he starts lapping the field. But again, I am old school and remember when racing was more affordable to everyone versus todays high costs.

By the way, that was an excellent recovery from that "bad" April Fools joke. Believe you made several new dedicated fans because of your heartfelt deeds. Yes, GOD is everywhere and last night he was at San Antonio Speedway.

Thanks for great entertainment.

Dano

Here's how we responded:

First of all, we really appreciate your coming to our races at San Antonio Speedway for the past couple of years. Our fans are important to us, and we welcome any feedback that may help us improve our weekly shows.

Terry Dickerson, SAS Chief Executive Officer, personally read your e-mail message on Monday morning, and he agreed with many of things you addressed.

You hit the nail on the head regarding our car counts. The economy, especially the high gas prices, has definitely affected our car counts. Most of our race teams rely on their “back pockets” to maintain their race cars. Although many of them do have sponsors, their contributions rarely cover the entire cost of racing.

Also, as you had mentioned, the rule changes may have also adversely affected our car counts. Since Rick Day joined our staff a few months ago, he has made it one of his highest priorities to work out these issues with our drivers. Although it can do more harm than good to change rules mid-season, we have made some adjustments on tire rules, etc. It will definitely be a big off-season project to make adjustments to the rules that will hopefully satisfy the majority of drivers while minimizing the cost of racing.

Regarding your comments about the length of the USRA Modifieds show, we did reduce the number of laps from the scheduled 75 laps down to 50 laps based on the low car count. I know it may have seemed longer than 50 laps, but we feel it’s important to be fair to our drivers as well as our fans.

We understand your concerns about the response time from our safety crews. Safety is also a high priority for all of us. You may have even noticed Terry Dickerson riding around the track in a maroon Tahoe last Saturday night. He personally wants to do what he can to help ensure safety at the track. We will definitely address your concerns with our safety crews.

The inversion process is a highly debatable issue, both with our drivers and staff. We realize a complete inversion is more exciting for the fans, but sometimes it comes at a high cost to our drivers. We continue to strive for a balance, and we appreciate your input.

We were also pleased with the response from the fans to our collection for the Pickett family. We feel that we’re all part of a big “racing family,” and that camaraderie was definitely shown last Saturday.

Again, we appreciate your taking the time to share your comments, and we’re committed to making our shows enjoyable for everyone . . . fans, drivers, race teams, etc. We’re glad to hear you’ll be back on June 17. Please feel free to contact me or any other staff member at any time to discuss your concerns and comments.

It may seem unusual for us to share these notes (we did get permission from the sender). We appreciated the fact that this fan let us know what we're doing right and what he enjoyed, but he also gave us candid feedback on what we can do to make our show more entertaining. Quite simply, we liked his approach and wanted to share it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

koodles to you debwill .we race the 7 pro sedan .and we are always excided to come up and race at you track .and knowing yah share with us that post should show everyone and other tracks that yah do care what people say .we dont know how many of those yah get . heres one from me yah do an outstanding job and its not easy.

Thanks, oldtimer.

On the flip side . . . we got a three-page letter the other day from one of our drivers telling about everything we're doing wrong. Our reaction to his comments was quite different. We do care about what he had to say, but it's frustrating when he thinks we're doing nothing right.

Let me share a part of the letter, and maybe y'all can help us come up with an appropriate response:

Four classes, one or even two too many. It should be a "privilege" to drive at SAS and not open to anyone with $900.00 in their pocket for a Grand Stock. If SAS is to be a NASCAR track and should have a NASCAR show (or drop the NASCAR brand). The Grand Stock Class is a Friday Night Class that belongs at the dirt track or Thunderhill. Classes like the Grand Stock make it hard to convince fans and sponsors that racing at SAS is nothing more than "Saturday Night Bomber" racing.

The list is much longer, and it will probably take us a month to respond to all of the comments.

Four classes, one or even two too many. It should be a "privilege" to drive at SAS and not open to anyone with $900.00 in their pocket for a Grand Stock. If SAS is to be a NASCAR track and should have a NASCAR show (or drop the NASCAR brand). The Grand Stock Class is a Friday Night Class that belongs at the dirt track or Thunderhill. Classes like the Grand Stock make it hard to convince fans and sponsors that racing at SAS is nothing more than "Saturday Night Bomber" racing.

Instead of complaining about the Grand Stock class, build a Grand Stock.

Got someone in your shop that has busted his hump to help you out? Put him (or her, for the PC crowd) in it as a reward for the hard work.

If he/she is good enough, maybe a few years down the road, you will have a team mate to race against.

Unless, of course, you are worried about the compitition...

900 dollar car 9000 dollar car to each driver that is the best car they can buy if that is all they can affored. they are prould .to knock down a class is no class .i dont get to see many races in sas .the minnies were knocked down for years by peoplewho thought they were low class .and not real race cars with real drivers .try one . it looks like this person could not be happy no matter what . the bottem line is that 900 dollar car shows up .got to start somewhere i started in a 300 dollar car .

well it does not matter i may be wrong but to me that driver has enough money to race the upper class of cars .good he has the money wonder where he started .cuz he thinks he so high up he cant remember where the bottem started .everyone starts there . you know i dont have a dog in this fight . except when someone knocks down another class of drivers .hell i dont even race that 900 dollar class he calls it .all classes are to be respected no matter what they are /

the entry level class is what gets the fan in the stand saying, i can actually afford to drive that class and i am tired of watching and i am ready to race..........the price of racing has really gotten out of hand along with the cost of a lot of other things...........its good that there are still low budget classes for drivers who are tired of the cost of late model racing and want to just race for fun, like it should be..........so i guess when that drivers sponsorship money runs out, or the gravy train funding the racing runs out, are they going to get out of racing all together or are they going to build a car they can afford..........besides im sure they didnt start out in a sleek late model, unless of coarse it is a spoiled rich kid with daddies money, but i dont recall seeing anybody that fits that bill in the sas late models, so i am guessing that person started in the hobby/street stock type class...........its easy to be a hypocrite when you are at the top of the ladder.........jmo

Guest bigfat

I agree with the guy 110%.

Guest bigfat

Four classes, one or even two too many.  It should be a "privilege" to drive at SAS and not open to anyone with $900.00 in their pocket for a Grand Stock.  If SAS is to be a NASCAR track and should have a NASCAR show (or drop the NASCAR brand).  The Grand Stock Class is a Friday Night Class that belongs at the dirt track or Thunderhill.  Classes like the Grand Stock make it hard to convince fans and sponsors that racing at SAS is nothing more than "Saturday Night Bomber" racing.

I agree with the guy 110%.

Disregard my last. I forgot to read my damn signature again............ :rolleyes::o<_<:(:angry:

Somebody wins six races in a row and then gets all abrasive towards us wannabees.

bigfat,

Joe did not write the letter.

We didn't really want to stir up any finger pointing - just wanted to give y'all an idea of some of the stuff we see about how to run a race track.

Did you see your new picture on the SAS website? You look way too cool! LOL

Guest bigfat

I knew that Deb. He can't even write. Just giving him a hard time. He and I are in negotiations for a race. I want that bounty. One stipulation of the race is he has to complete 4 laps and I only have to complete two. I might have a shot if he has a tire go down or if Jeff will let me use my 2 inch offsets.

Yes I did. I almost look as good as my "dirt track,THR , Saturday Night Bomber" of a car.

The fan mail is rolling in by the one. I just wish I could have worn my cap "bak erds"<---------------that was "fer" oldtimer.

oldtimer was correct in saying that all drivers have to start out somewhere. Some of them arent fortunate enough to get the big silver spoon (sponserships) to help them move up to the late models class. I guess this particular driver forgot where he had to start. But speaking as a fan also, i like watching all the different classes and would rather go out and watch the lower classes race. Lets not forget this is a local track and it is nice to see our local drivers at our track.

Yeah, it seems like if those lower classes are getting bigger. I think that is good for our local track, more people are going to get involved in racing and eventually move up and help fill the other classes. Maybe this late model racer can help field 2-3 more Grand Stocks.

I race Street Stock but barely can afford that. I look back at my earlier days starting with a pure stock and slowly moving up. It really is hard to beat the cheap classes for fun. I think the most fun I ever had was in a Cruiser Stock (basically a Grand Stock with a co-pilot) where I steered and braked while the passenger did the gas ! ...(the gas pedal was relocated to the passenger floor) :)

:huh: Geez Louise, If you don't have an entry level class, where do expect your future late model drivers to come from? Just fall out of the sky, like sacks of $100 bills? <_< EVERY, and I repeat, EVERY track needs an entry level class or the track will cease to exist. PERIOD! At some of the tracks I visit, the 10-whatever Bombers cars bring in as many fans/crew as the as the featured class, that usually has more cars!!!

Get a grip! You make dirt track racing sound like a bad thing or that they are second rate racers because they don't run pavement. What's up with that? :angry: Racing is racing, no matter where or what surface.

I will say one thing, and I mentioned it to Nick Saturday night......are the wrecker drivers paid by the hour? If it was a tag draw system like on the highway, I'm sure they'd be there double time. I've often seen two sit in the pits, while one tries to remove multiple cars or the flat bed sit when they have to double hook one.

Just my observation, for what it's worth.

that is all up to my brother, they are his cars.........we have just been busy with other things right now.........i have been trying to sell my house, he has been getting his business started and dad has been remodeling the kitchen at their house...........so all of that added up, doesnt leave a lot of time for racing........i enjoy sas, just havent had the time yet this season.........well i take that back, he went out to watch the stock cars and guitars race.........

your totally correct rebel, as much as i love to say it, most of the fans come to see the lower classes race at SAS and enjoy it more than the late models, and it is also true that they fill up the pits with there crews.

your point about the wrecker crew is also puzzling myself, because i do see alot of them just hanging around in the pit area and not helping out on the track as a whole team.

what was meant by 'belongs at thunderhill' ? ..............i wonder if he has ever raced thr ? i would damn sure bet he hasn't won there........i've raced both of them ,alot .............thr basis more of your performance off of you the driver , not whos got the most horses.

sounds like this guy needs to look back at where he started or just plain start over. jmo

there used to be a guy at cc who started in the lower class .he won championships at cc houston and was i believe the first champion at sas and now two time champ in nascar .so it seems that you can start in cheap seats and move up . and i would bet that those 900 dollar drivers are fans of said late model driver and dont even know what he thinks . sad .

I guess the person who wrote this forgot that NASCAR started out as Saturday Night Bomber Racing, stock car racing has evolved over the last 50 years into something that no longer remotely resembles the original concept of stock car racing. The bomber or grand stock classes allow people who are not fortunate enough to have a silver spoon or big bank account to enjoy the experience of racing. There is already a privilege form of racing, it’s called Sports Car Club of America (SCCA). Unfortunately, that view of Saturday night short track racing is shared by NASCAR, that’s probably one of the reasons why they are dropping the elite division at the end of this year. Compared to a cup car operation, a late model seems like a bomber.

You’re only the richest guy in the room, until someone walks in with more money, then were does that leave you?

JMO :D:D

You make dirt track racing sound like a bad thing or that they are second rate racers because they don't run pavement.

Nothing wrong with dirt-track racing - has anyone seen an asphalt late-model race that paid a million $ to win? They did that at Eldora a few years ago, and I'll bet that "exalted" LM driver would have been welcome if he'd showed up with car & entry fee. Everyone's gotta be able to run somewhere.

Four classes, one or even two too many.  It should be a "privilege" to drive at SAS and not open to anyone with $900.00 in their pocket for a Grand Stock.  If SAS is to be a NASCAR track and should have a NASCAR show (or drop the NASCAR brand).  The Grand Stock Class is a Friday Night Class that belongs at the dirt track or Thunderhill.  Classes like the Grand Stock make it hard to convince fans and sponsors that racing at SAS is nothing more than "Saturday Night Bomber" racing.

I guess the person who wrote this forgot that NASCAR started out as Saturday Night Bomber Racing, stock car racing has evolved over the last 50 years into something that no longer remotely resembles the original concept of stock car racing. The bomber or grand stock classes allow people who are not fortunate enough to have a silver spoon or big bank account to enjoy the experience of racing. There is already a privilege form of racing, it’s called Sports Car Club of America (SCCA). Unfortunately, that view of Saturday night short track racing is shared by NASCAR, that’s probably one of the reasons why they are dropping the elite division at the end of this year. Compared to a cup car operation, a late model seems like a bomber.

You’re only the richest guy in the room, until someone walks in with more money, then were does that leave you?

JMO :D:D

a poorboy :D

Archived