Houston Super Speedway

Caveman

If they have mucho money, maybe they should approach

Dick Conole about purchasing TWS. With all of these 1.5

mile tri-ovals out there a 2 mile superspeedway would be

something for all the series to run at.

I know it won't happen but I sure wish that track offered

competitive racing, sure was a fast track in it's prime.

1.367 MILES OF HOUSTON SUPERSPEEDWAY RACING EXCITEMENT!!!

That's right race fans! Small enough for you to be right on top of the action for the entire circuit and big enough for high speed, side-by-side racing action! Here are the actual specifications for the soon to be construction...

Lengths:

Total Length = 7,218.22' (or 1.367 miles)

Front Stretch = 2,463.00'

Turns 1 & 2 = 976.41'

Backstretch = 2,103.61'

Turns 3 & 4 = 1,675.20'

Widths:

Front Stretch = 68'

Turns 1 & 2 = 75'

Backstretch = 75'

Turns 3 & 4 = 75'

Banking:

Front Stretch = 6 degrees

Turns 1 & 2 = 17 degrees

Backstretch = 4.5 degrees

Turns 3 & 4 = 14.7 degrees

Get on the binders going into a tight turn 1 then step on the gas coming out of turn 2 onto an elevated backstretch (approximately 14' above the front stretch) and then side by side through a sweeping turn 3 & 4 and pedal to the metal downhill onto the front stretch and then back on the binders for turn 1.

• 5 weeks later...

Sounds like Devils Bowl with the back higher than the front and a tight turn 1.

It's gonna be TMS all over again... Turn 1+Lap 1=Caution Flag #1.

If many more months go by without actual construction starting at Houston Super Rice Field er..ah.. Speedway, the chances of racing there in 2004 get slimmer and slimmer. Here's hoping this isn't yet another bunch of empty hype like Texas TracGroup and Bad Boyz.

Nick Holt

• 6 months later...

I live in the Pearland area and I drove by the track site on Sunday while returning from a camping trip at Lake Texana. There is NOTHING GOING ON out there. No signs of any recent activity whatsoever. The proposed track will not become a reality any time soon. Too bad. I'll believe Houston Superspeedway is a reality when I walk through the gate and see cars on the track. Houston area race fans have been down this road a number of times before.

I think they are about 10 years too late in terms of building this track - there are too many other tracks on the waiting list for Nextel Cup events - I just can't see this Houston track ever getting one. Fort Worth will get a second Nextel Cup race before Houston ever gets on the list to get a first race.

I do think a 3/4 mile track like Richmond or the oval at Memphis Motorsports Park might work in Houston. You could probably get a Busch race, a truck race, perhaps an IRL race (although the IRL is morphing into CART and CART is almost completely dead, so don't be surprised when the IRL begins running on airport tarmacs). BUT, you could also have regional events like ROMCO, etc. Perhaps even USAC Silver Crown.

Kind of a let down for Houston area race fans. I was also looking forward to attending some ASCS Gulf South sprint car races at Battleground this year, but now Battleground has no $$ and won't be opening. A pack of strong sprint cars on the sticky dirt oval at Battleground can be an awesome sight. But it ain't gonna happen. I think dirt tracks are moving in the wrong direction by trying to make all their money at the pit gate and running six or seven classes of cars. Many of them don't really do much to try to attract spectators or generate spectator excitement about their racing programs. And the grandstands reflect that.

Houston Motorsports Park is set for a busy year - looking forward to seeing some racing there this year. They appear to be the bright spot in the local racing scene.

Archived