WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO .............

Budman

Thought this would be an interesting thread. Ask the question ... What ever happened to your favorite (or maybe not so favorite) driver. Who knows, someone might know and be willing to provide an answer on here. :)

I'll start it out ........

What ever happened to Charlie Turner?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Elmer Gene (aka Wynn Wilkerson of Austin) I think retired from his Texas State Highway Department job a while back.

At the THR/TSRS Banquet in January he took the stage and announced he was retiring from the Texas Super Racing Series.

Wynn contributed a lot to various forms of Texas racing. He is a good man.

Neil Upchurch

Pat Lane still has his car in his garage. You will see him any time Mike Balzer races, and a couple other times here and there.

John Meyers stopped racing a couple years ago due to a family health crisis.

Melvin Meyers is still around, Last saw him visiting over at Tommy Grimes's shop maybe a year ago. Hunts every year with Rick Rapp.

Charlie Turner hangs around the race track whenever one of her dad's cars races. (Buescher, Chris Davidson)

Has a couple of youngters to tend to these days.

as a kid we used to love seeing elmer gene and the bubble gum express on the track, and the gum he tossed out was nice too...........its funny that a free piece of $0.05 gum could make a kid so happy.............i guess it is just proof that it doesnt take much, just as long as you get the kids involved somehow...........

hath27

The last record I have on #41 J.D. Hughes of Sundown, Texas in a TIDA-LM Series race was at Twin Cities Speedway in Midland-Odessa in 1996.

He announced before the race that he would retire upon completion of that 100 lap race. To the best of my knowledge, retire is what he did.

Neil Upchurch

Chip Godfredson #44 LM SAS

Ronnie Smith #5 & #15 LM SAS

Also in the 80's I seem to remember a LM team that had a huge Stacker hauler that they kept at the pit exit. Only reason why I remember it was because it was one of the few enclosed haulers of its time. I think it was a 2 car team and I believe it was a Red hauler but cant be absolutely sure.

That was probably Sam Range #77 out of the Houston-area.

Fielded cars for himself and at one point even Freddy Fryar.

Not sure what may have become of that outfit.

Last I heard of Ronnie he was busy running his electrial business in the Highland Lakes area.

I know that JC Hilbig has a auto shop in Lockhart, he raced many years in Austin and did a lot of work on the 5 & 15 Bud cars.

Colt- I saw Calvin the other day at the store out by my parents house! He is still the same old Calvin! Working and thats it..... :-)

Ronnie Smith- He is still around also his wife works with my dad :-) to my knowledge he isn't doing the racing thing anymore.... think its things like cheerleading and baseball :-) but who knows....

Rodney: Sam Range of Houston was a former TIDA-LM driver. He did have a semi-trailer rig which could haul two cars. He did have Freddy Fryar on his two car team for a while. Freddy did car preparation work for Sam.

He moved to Nashville, Tennessee about 1999. He called me a few times from Nashville. He said he was racing locally.

Neil Upchurch

Colt,I've had a few Calvin sightings lately.Saw him and talked to him at Manny's Chassis Shop over on Airport Blvd and he makes a few passes in his bright yellow early 50's gm pick up from time to time at the dragstrip,just having fun.

Archived