Race Track for Kids

HORSEPOWER

I know this has been discussed before, but I'm bringing it up again because it is one of those subjects that can easily be ignored and I feel it is important for the future of racing in our area.

What needs to be done is to build a 1/4 midget track, dirt track, or something similar inside the 1/2 mile where more kids and families can get involved in racing and we will soon have our own 14 year old's racing in late models, just like what we hear at all these other tracks outside of Texas. We already have a track for the kids, but I think having one in your own back yard is better and it shouldn't hurt the other. As big as the racing scene has grown, it has not grown here locally. A lot of the young racers that we see are from racing families, the same names we are familiar with in the racing scene over the last 20 years. The reason I brought up building a kids track, is because we need some new blood in racing and more growth and this should also help the car count. Car counts are suffering due to the cost, consistent changes in rules, tracks having their own set of rules, racers who have been on the scene for a long time that don't like changes and the most important thing in my opinion, not getting new people involved in racing. There are probably a lot of families that wish they could get their kids involved in racing at a young age and what better way than to start where the big boys are at. They will not have to go too far for advise and can build relationships with current race car drivers, teams, and families. They will get more involved and come out and support racing. Let's say a family visits the track for the first time and they see kids racing at the track, then they say we are interested, how can we get involved. The track having having it's own program for beginners will help. Right now it's like, oh there is go-kart racing and 1/4 midget racing around the city, but maybe that's where it stops for them or they will pick up some type of other racing, instead of stock-car oval racing. I am a racing fan and a parent and hope to get my son involved in racing. It will take a lot of money, time, and sacrifice. The sacrifice part I am talking about is getting more involved with what they do at the kids track and probably attend a lot less races as a spectator at the big track. Guess you know where I'm coming from, it would just be a lot better if it were in the same place, whether it was on a Friday or Saturday. Just an idea to gain more support at our local track.

Horsepower... We can't seem to support the Quarter midgets right down the street.. so now we open a new track and shut them down?

That ain't right.. We start supporting them and they will support us with future drivers.. Look at the Legecys... they have worked with the QM's all they can.. and now have 9 rookies.. many came out of Midgets..

Not just that you would have to be QMA sanctioned.. and they dictate how to run your business with QM... Its run completely different than current local racing scene.

I think one of the things that makes SAR (the drag strip) successful is the fact that the pits and grandstands are incorporated together. It's kinda neat to stroll around the pit area and ck out all the different types of racing machines. It brings the folks in the grandstand right next to the race teams and perhaps might encourage more of them to join the ranks of race car drivers/owners. It would be kinda neat to see the fans in the stands before the night is over.

Just a thought.

Mel

There's a lot of things that are not right or fair and if these tracks don't support each other, it will never grow. Today's local tracks need a lot more entertainment than just the racing, even though that will always be the main attraction. Concerts are a good start. I was just implying about the 1/4 midget track, because it's not working right now. Maybe there can be other ideas. This isn't the 70's or 80's anymore, trying new things are a necessity.

im sure one thing that makes it hard for sas to do something like build a go-cart track or anything like that is that they dont own the place...........they basically lease the track and land, so if they were to get permission and build something like that and then the owner sold the place, they would lose out on that money from the building of it.............i do agree with you that they need to think outside the box and come up with something to draw in new fans as well as new drivers, but im sure it is hard for them since they dont own the land............it does look like they are at least trying to do something to get people in the stands, so love him or hate him terry is at least trying...........

There are 3 go-karts tracks in Austin and San Antonio. Hill Country Kart Club on Loop 337, Iron Rock at the Austin Bergstrom Airport, and Kart Runco at the Verizon Center. If you wanted to make money you need to open a 1.5 Road Course for Bikes and Karts. $18,000 a weekend for rent for Oakhill in Henderson Texas or WTS in College Station.

Archived