Another Hummm .....

Budman

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The new rules make the perimeter cars obsolete and eliminates the ASA cars, they would not be competitive. What kind of car does he have? Wasnt there 20 plus cars last year with the current rules? Maybe its time to wake up and smell the coffee, the rules are not the problem, changing them with the weather is part of it. Every one of the Texans running in Florida ran up front here last year with what rules?

Question: Is J.C. Umsheid going to be able to run his super late at these two races?

JMO: JC is one of the best SLM drivers we have here in Texas. He's not racing becaue his checking account cant keep up with the rule changes.....

I know at Texas they can use the Elite series car. Now that they don't have a race maybe they can make this race. ASA LM Challenge Series has races schedules on June 10th in NY and June 14 in Michigan. Pass South in in Florence S.C. June 10 and June 17th at Orange County, N.C. ASA South June 17 at KY, USLMA June 17 at CO, Sunbelt Series June 17 in FL. CRA June 11 in Indiana and on June 17 at IRP. I just listed these, a lot of these teams have SLM's and we will wait and see where the cars come from. Maybe we can get 30 SLM at SAS with 4 or 5 illegal carbs. :P

and alot of people dont race because their checking accounts cant keep up with racing PERIOD.IT AINT CHEAP,regardless what class you race, in these modern high priced times.

The new rules make the perimeter cars obsolete and eliminates the ASA cars, they would not be competitive. What kind of car does he have? Wasnt there 20 plus cars last year with the current rules? Maybe its time to wake up and smell the coffee, the rules are not the problem, changing them with the weather is part of it. Every one of the Texans running in Florida ran up front here last year with what rules?

Can someone knowledgeable in the various types of late model chassis educate the rest of us on this? What are the major differences between the USRA cars, the ASA LM cars, and the Five flags SLM cars as far as the chassis themselves are concerned?

I looked at the Five Flags SLM rules, and they clearly allow straight rail, perimeter, or stock stub cars, so why would the perimeter cars be obsolete? It looks like the new rules would allow everybody to run 58% left side weight, so I'm stumped on this one.

Thanks

JMO: JC is one of the best SLM drivers we have here in Texas. He's not racing becaue his checking account cant keep up with the rule changes.....

How much did the rules change from the car he was racing last year?

From what I was told it would take alot of money to make his perimeter car competitive with the lighter cars...

Chase,

There are virtually no differences in the chassis themselves. Some of the components in the ASA car are lighter; the Bert or Brinn transmissions, the Winters 8 3/4 inch or the Tiger lightweight quickchange rears, a few other things. Some of the lite stuff works behind the crate, but not a high-horsepower SLM.

I think there is some confusion here as to what the rules say. I think some that posted here are reading the Five Flags SLM rules, when the correct rules to read are the Pro-Late model rules.

You will see that, under the pro late model rules, that the crate is the engine of choice, and they have an option to run an existing dry or wet sump engine, with a 2 barrel carb. there are a couple other minor changes from ASA, but relatively minor.

And they allow perimeter, straight rail, or stock clip cars to compete. And why they recommend the ABC body, you can run an older non-ABC body with a 50 pound weight penalty.

In a nutshell, as I read the rules, it will open up the USRA series to about any late model chassis out there that

currently runs.

These pro-late model rules are the ones that the Saturday night Snowflake race is run under in support of the Snowball Derby weekend, and a basic ASA legal car is what you will have here.

"The United States Racing Association (USRA) announced today that the Texas-based USRA Super Late Model Series is adopting the Super Late Model (SLM) rules used at both Five Flags Speedway in Pensacola, Florida, and at Mobile International Speedway in Mobile, Alabama. "

10 at the next race....

Nasty trend. Teams who missed the first race had 7 extra weeks to get ready for this one.... Season starting too soon excuse is out now for the low car counts. How many will be at the next USRA Race?

If you go back a few topics (forgot which one) there was a post by Txtom that explained to an extent where some cars were. Id believe the rules were set this way for more big shows later in the year and future without using another sanctioning bodies rules in order to attract cars from the East Coast. By our 20+ or so SLM changing to their rules instead of thier 100+ cars changing to our rules makes sense when you look at the big picture. Would be interesting if in the future you see a blizzard style series at THR and SAS with a big start of the year or end of the year race after Snowball where guys dont have to do much to change their cars.

The ASA cars are maxed out on the amount of weight that you can drop and get a desirable amount of left side weight to be competitive with the USRA SLM. Drop 50 pounds off of an offset chassis and give it 58% left side weight and the ASA car will no longer be competitive. The perimeter cars are built to where at 2750# you cannot achieve the optimum 58% left side weight which puts them at a disadvantage. With the current rules, the maximum left side is 57% for offset and 58% for perimeter which evens the playing field. The 50# weight drop and same left side percentages for both perimeter and offset eliminate quite a few USRA regulars. The desired combination will be limited to an offset chassis with a HP motor.

Just an observation.

It is easier for their cars to add 50 # than it would be to buy new chassis or cutting cars up.

Copied over from Txtom's post

Let"s run down a little about who was there or not--

Welch (2 cars)--Lost a crewman in a highway accident.

Grimes--Sold old car, new car is not complete, and he is heavy into college classes while working in the shop he and his father own.

Hudson--Broke an engine in Pensacola.

Felton--Hurt in Mobile. Still on the mend.

Wallace--Was intending to run Kyle, but had a practice crash two weeks ago and the car is currently going back together after a rear clip replacement. Lost a little work time, as he had to work two weekends.

David JR.--Ran with USLMA last weekend, probably taking a long hard look at travel cost from Midland.

Umscheid--Waiting for a little money. (His words to me at Kyle)

Kelly--Only runs a partial schedule. In talking to him and John JR, I think he is starting to enjoy building street rods more.

Buescher--Ran ASA in Kentucky.

Stewart--Car is in pieces, and has not decided what direction he will take his racing.

Draw your own conclusions on the car count issue at Kyle.

This post has been edited by txtom on Apr 30 2006, 04:02 PM

Here we are again trying to line up ourselves with the south east. WHY???!!!! Texas asphalt tracks are way out of the way from other asphalt tracks. Why not take care of the local guys (Texans) who are your bread and butter first? Oh no lets eliminate some more cars with another rule change. Get the dust off of the MANY local cars before you have to resort to TRYING to lure guys out of state.

Perhaps we need one of the USRA guys to clarify what set of rules they are adopting, SLM or Pro Late Model.

The info I had says the PLM rules, but it may not be accurate.

If it SLM rules, then holley is right, the existing perimeters will have a tough time with percentage.

Now we know which rules, it basically is a change to less weight, and all cars on 58% left. Will hurt the perimeters a bit.

The Pensacola rules do not say if those with crates will receive the 200 pound weight reduction. If they don't, it aint worth the trouble to show up.

I'll be by the shop to chat, Big. Let ya'll know what we will be doing.

So speculating that Terry was taking care of his home track at SAS, while the main man was with USRA got my post deleted?

Nope.. It got deleted because the person you were responding to edited his/her and your post no longer made any sense...

Sorry if this created a problem for you.

Nick Holt

Archived