Stock Car Racing Community Reaching Out to SAS Fan

For Immediate Release

Contact: Debbie Williams, San Antonio Speedway Public Relations, (210) 685-0400

Nick Holt, USRA Media Director, (210) 690-8564

Rick Day, San Antonio Speedway General Manager, (210) 827-4524

Stock Car Racing Community Reaching Out to San Antonio Speedway Race Fan

San Antonio, Texas (April 25, 2006) – The San Antonio area stock car racing community will be invited to show its support on Saturday, May 6, at San Antonio Speedway for a race fan who is in need of a kidney transplant.

Richard Pickett and his wife, who are loyal San Antonio Speedway fans, have been saving up for Richard's much-needed, but very expensive, kidney transplant for some time.

As some of the fans may recall, a contest purporting to offer $500 to the winner was held during intermission during the April 1 ASA race at the speedway. Pickett’s wife was selected as a contestant in an activity that was intended as an April Fools’ joke. However, the contest quickly took on a serious note when Pickett’s wife stated that she would like to win the contest to help with the transplant expenses.

Unfortunately, the San Antonio Speedway staff had been unable to locate the Pickett family until an e-mail was received a few days ago from Richard’s wife, Leslie. In her e-mail, Leslie shared the following comments, “Richard and I attended the April Fools’ Day race. We attend as many races as possible every year. I was so excited to be included in the contest, as I had seen them go on over the years with prizes and such. I never even considered it was a joke, or I would have chosen a different answer to the question because our situation isn’t a joke. When asked what I would do with the money, my first thought was that my husband is in need of a second kidney transplant and that money would go to a really good cause. It was not my intention for anyone to feel bad about our situation. So, I hope that you pass this letter on to your staff and disappointed fans. We enjoy going to the races so much and would hate that because of me anyone would think anything negative towards the track and/or staff.”

In response, Terry Dickerson, CEO of San Antonio Speedway, stated “We’re so glad that we’ve finally found the Pickett family, and first of all, I offer my sincere apology for our initial reaction at the races that night.” Added Dickerson, “We felt really bad about the situation that night, and we really want to make things right. So, to start things off, I’d like to contribute $500 towards the transplant expenses.”

On Saturday, May 6, the Pickett family has been invited to come back to San Antonio Speedway as special guests in the VIP suite. During intermission, drivers will be asked to bring their racing helmets into the grandstands to seek support from local fans, race teams, officials and the staff.

“Although I’ve only been part of the San Antonio Speedway staff for just a few months, I’ve already seen the camaraderie and friendliness of the fans and drivers,” commented Rick Day, San Antonio Speedway General Manager and Race Director. “I have no doubt that our fans will open their hearts and wallets to the Pickett family during their time of need.”

The racing action on Saturday, May 6, will include the NASCAR Late Model, Sportsman, Road Runner and Grand Stock divisions. The USRA (United States Racing Association) Modifieds and Trucks will also be part of the racing program for that evening.

San Antonio Speedway is the only NASCAR sanctioned short-track in the state of Texas. It is located 3.5 miles south of Loop 410 on State Highway 16 South towards Poteet, near the new Toyota facility.

Grandstand gates will open at 5:00 p.m., and the races will begin at 7:00 p.m. Admission is $15 for adults, $8 for seniors and Military (with ID) and $3 for children ages 7-12. Children six and under are admitted free.

For more information about San Antonio Speedway, call Rick Day at 210-827-4524 or call the SAS race hotline at 210-628-1499. The San Antonio Speedway website address is http://www.sanantoniospeedway.com.

-30-

Archived