MIDGETS in Texas

Budman

Budman,

True it took 35 years to bring USAC back, but the cars and drivers were here several times during the period of 1978-1980.

That was a period of when the midgets really peaked in Texas. We were runnin 50-54 times a year at tracks all over Texas including Big H, Devils Bowl, Buffalo Park and several others. On weekends where we had 3 nights of racing it was not unusal for the USAC guys to come down. Mel Kenyon,Bob Wente,Johnny Parsons Jr.,Ken Schrader,Sleepy Tripp just to name a few. And of course Bill White made several of those shows too.

Big H had a 2 day Midget Nationals at the end of the season in 79 and 80. We had 70-80 midgets there and every top driver in the country. At that time no midget association in the country was running as many races nor for as much money as Texas was.

Those were the days!

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just posted a midget racing video from 1937. This is an amateur video shot with I guess a home video camera ( darn,in 1937? ). Its the Southwest Midget Racing Assn. at Houston SpeedBowl in December of 1937.

This is 8 minutes of the 60 minute tape, so eventually I hope to have more of it up.

SSMA Midgets

Budman,

Being raised with all this stuff around you, you don't realize what it is. All of a sudden you look at this stuff you haven't looked at in years and go "oh my god". Things like the video and pictures from the past need to be shared and thanks to the internet now more people can enjoy this stuff.

More of this kinda stuff is surfacing now that more people are getting involved.

Just Saturday I got a call from a friend whose dad had just given him a set of blueprints (original) of a 1966 A.J.Watson Sprint Car. Talk about something rare!

So hopefully the share fever continues.

Now that video was cool! Those guys back then were crazy. You wouldnt want to turn one of those things over or else you would get a hurt head or worse. And how about that burm on the inside of the track, it looked pretty bumpy to me but it did not stop those guys from going down there :lol:

Tex and Budman:

Thought you guys would want this info:

Last asphalt USAC Midget race in Texas prior to the 40 lapper we did get in last October won by Dave Steele was won by Mel Kenyon at Pan-American on April 30, 1967. Almost 40 years passed before another USAC pavement race in Texas.

As for dirt USAC midgets in Texas, the last one was at the Dome on March 11, 1972 and it was won by Gary Bettenhausen. A.J. won the race there in 1970. In 1969 they had a double header (Sat & Sun) and those were won by Bettenhausen on Sat. and Kunzman on Sun.

Good information tavoct. I stand corrected on identifying A.J. as winning in 72. I knew he won one but was thinking it was the famous dust bowl of 72. Oh well, so much for old age.

Right before the Kyle race in April there was a listing on a web site of every USAC sprint & midget race run in Texas even going back to the AAA days. I've tried to find that site again but with no luck..

Here is a list I posted last year after the race last fall:

USAC RACING HISTORY IN TEXAS

The code for the type of car is as follows: M=Midget, ST=Stock Car, SP=Sprint Car, M-I=Mini-Indy, CH-Championship Car, IRL=Indy Racing League, SWS=Southwest Sprint Car

Date Location/Track Series/Feature Winner/Distance

10/11/59 HOUSTON/Meyer Speedway SP A.J. Foyt 50 Laps

11/20/59 SAN ANTONIO/Pan American Speedway M Tony Bettenhausen 50 Laps

11/21/59 CORPUS CHRISTI/Corpus Christi Speedway M A.J. Foyt 50 Laps

11/22/59 HOUSTON/Meyer Speedway M Gene Force 100 laps

12/6/59 HOUSTON/Meyer Speedway ST Harold Smith 100 Laps

3/20/60 HOUSTON/Meyer Speedway SP Don Branson 30 Laps

4/8/60 AUSTIN/Austin Motor Speedway M Bob Tattersall 50 Laps

4/9/60 SAN ANTONIO/Pan American Speedway M Buddy Rackley 50 Laps

4/10/60 HOUSTON/Meyer Speedway M Dale Swaim 100 laps

10/23/60 HOUSTON/Meyer Speedway SP Parnelli Jones 50 Laps

4/20/62 AUSTIN/Austin Motor Speedway M Chuck Rodee 50 Laps

4/21/62 HOUSTON/Meyer Speedway M Jim McElreath 50 Laps

3/25/66 DALLAS/Devils Bowl M Cotton Farmer 40 Laps

9/17/66 DALLAS/Devils Bowl M Cotton Farmer 40 Laps

9/18/66 SAN ANTONIO/Pan-American Speedway M Mel Kenyon 50 Laps

9/24/66 SAN ANTONIO/Pan-American Speedway M Don Meacham 50 Laps

4/28/67 LUBBOCK/West Texas Speedway M Gary Bettenhausen 50 Laps

4/29/67 LUBBOCK/West Texas Speedway M Mel Kenyon 50 Laps

4/30/67 SAN ANTONIO/Pan-American Speedway M Mel Kenyon 50 Laps

3/8/69 HOUSTON/Astrodome M Gary Bettenhausen 100 Laps

3/9/69 HOUSTON/Astrodome M Lee Kunzman 100 Laps

10/22/69 NAVASOTA/Moody-Clary Speedway M Dave Strickland 40 Laps

10/25/69 WICHITA FALLS/Wichita Falls Speedway M Lee Kunzman 40 Laps

3/14/70 HOUSTON/Astrodome M A.J. Foyt 100 Laps

4/17/70 NAVASOTA/Moody-Clary Speedway M Merle Bettenhausen 40 Laps

3/11/72 HOUSTON/Astrodome M Gary Bettenhausen 100 Laps

4/7/73 COLLEGE STATION/Texas World Speedway ST Gordon Johncock 200 Miles

4/7/73 COLLEGE STATION/Texas World Speedway CH Al Unser 200 Miles

10/6/73 COLLEGE STATION/Texas World Speedway ST Roger McCluskey 200 Miles

10/6/73 COLLEGE STATION/Texas World Speedway CH Gary Bettenhausen 200 Miles

6/6/76 COLLEGE STATION/Texas World Speedway ST A.J. Foyt 500 Miles

8/1/76 COLLEGE STATION/Texas World Speedway CH A.J. Foyt 150 Miles

8/1/76 COLLEGE STATION/Texas World Speedway ST A.J. Foyt 150 Miles

10/31/76 COLLEGE STATION/Texas World Speedway CH Johnny Rutherrford 200 Miles

10/31/76 COLLEGE STATION/Texas World Speedway ST Bobby Allison 200 Miles

4/2/77 COLLEGE STATION/Texas World Speedway CH Tom Sneva 200 Miles

6/5/77 COLLEGE STATION/Texas World Speedway ST Bay Darnell 500 Miles

7/31/77 COLLEGE STATION/Texas World Speedway CH Johnny Rutherford 200 Miles

3/12/78 COLLEGE STATION/Texas World Speedway ST A.J. Foyt 250 Miles

4/15/78 COLLEGE STATION/Texas World Speedway CH Danny Ongais 200 Miles

6/4/78 COLLEGE STATION/Texas World Speedway ST Gary Bowsher 500 Miles

8/6/78 COLLEGE STATION/Texas World Speedway M-I Harry MacDonald 100 Kilos

8/6/78 COLLEGE STATION/Texas World Speedway CH A.J. Foyt 200 Miles

11/12/78 COLLEGE STATION/Texas World Speedway ST A.J. Foyt 250 Miles

3/11/79 COLLEGE STATION/Texas World Speedway ST A.J. Foyt 250 Miles

4/8/79 COLLEGE STATION/Texas World Speedway M-I Dennis Firestone 100 Kilos

4/8/79 COLLEGE STATION/Texas World Speedway CH A.J. Foyt 200 Miles

7/29/79 COLLEGE STATION/Texas World Speedway M-I Michael Chandler 100 Kilos

7/29/79 COLLEGE STATION/Texas World Speedway CH A.J. Foyt 200 Miles

11/11/79 COLLEGE STATION/Texas World Speedway ST Bobby Allison 250 Miles

3/9/80 COLLEGE STATION/Texas World Speedway ST Terry Ryan 250 Miles

5/10/85 MESQUITE/Devils Bowl SP Rick Hood 30 Laps

6/7/97 FORT WORTH/Texas Motor Speedway IRL Arie Luyendyk 500 Kilometers

6/6/03 LUBBOCK/Lubbock Motor Speedway SWS Garry Lee Maier 30 Laps

6/7/03 LUBBOCK/Tech Motor Speedway SWS Mike Martin 30 Laps

11/14/06 Kyle/Thunderhill Speedway Dave Steele M 40 Laps

Kevin,

It seems like that was true, a USAC/NCRA deal. I remember wanting to go to it, but I was attending a school in Louisiana during that time, and missed it.

That old NCRA Champ class was the same 100 inch cars as the Silver Crown.

Midget Racing 1937 Video #3 is now posted.

SSMA Midgets

O.K. Budman, gonna show you the Ambulance this time... and if ya don't believe me just call them.. phone numbers right there on the door..6364...LOL

And the big black _ _ _ _ _ _ is still there in the infield.

Heard stories about this kinda stuff when growing up but by the time I was old enough to start going to races, they weren't there in the infield anymore, so I dismissed the stories as folklore and forgot about it. Then along comes this movie and confirms it.

Another story that I'll tell one day has to do with one of the drivers blowing something up with dynamite. Same thing, dismissed it and darn if it didn't show up in Texas Monthly here a few years back.

And don't ask about the motorcycle cop with the monkey on a chain.

This is the best one yet, got some front straighway footage gonna make you wanna jump back from your monitor.

Enjoy Folks!

MAKES YOU WONDER HOW MANY OF THOSE POEPLE ARE STILL ALIVE AND WOULD LOVE TO SEE THOSE VIDEOS .AND REMIMBER SOME OF THE POEPLES NAMES ..AND WHO WOULD OF THOUGHT THAT SOMEDAY WE COULD DIAL UP AND WATCH THEASE RACES ..HECK THERE WAS NO TV BACK THEN..

97car- Maybe we should send the video to Nascar and tell them "We don't need no stink'in yellows"

oldtimer- To answer your question, yes one is still alive, as a matter of fact I'm going to his 90th birthday party tomorrow. Its Dale Burt, who for many years was the Goodyear Racing Tire Distributor for Texas. Dale and my dad were best friends, so I grew up around Dale, and talk about a character....

Dale Burt in the # 20

HoustoSpeedBowl.jpg

ChiliBowl 2000

Dale.jpg

Post it Budman, not sure I've seen that one.

Birhtday party yesterday was great, Dale looks good and was feeling good . A.J.'s sister Marlene was there and we were able to get A.J. on the phone so he could wish Dale a Happy Birthday.

Also, picked up a video of the midget feature that was on May 12th at Alvin. Gonna try and get it posted tomorrow. Super Race to watch.

John Logan at Pan American 1973 Kurtis Midget Roadster - ChevyII

There were only 10 of these roadsters built by Kurtis, only 2 are known to exist today. This car is in a private museum in Michigan, the other is in Australia

Pat,

My father saw and took pics of one of these Kurtis Roadsters last year at the Miller-Offy Meeting in Milwaukee. I would assume it is the one from Michigan. He is going to find the pic and I will scan it and post it here.

txtom

Ed Silk of Witchita Falls built 3 Kurtis Copy roadsters. The first one pictured here Ralph Parkinson stuck in between the guard rails in Denver, Colo. It was a total loss.

Parkinson.jpg

The second one built Ralph Parkinson held the midget track record at Devils Bowl for many years. This picture was taken by Ted Hood at Pan American in 1972.

Pat St.Cricq & Marcel St.Cricq

PatMarcel.jpg

Yeah it has Dirt tires on the rear, only way it fit on the trailer. This car was destroyed in 1974 at CC after the throttle stuck and it hit turn one wall head on.

The 3rd one built never worked. Don't have a picture of that one, but there is a funny story to it. Get to that another time.

Archived