MIDGETS in Texas

Budman

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always thought that was a neat-looking engine - too bad they didn't come in the Mustang! :ph34r:

I know he had his own Indy car chassis program (the Coyote?) - I can't remember if he also had his own Indy engine program and if so, was it related to this engine?

Tex and Buddy,

Also known as the Foyt Coyote V8.

Did they build a 289 version of the engine? The Indy engines were 255 cubic inches.

The original idea for this engine came about as a request from Colin Chapman, who was then the Chief of Lotus cars, and wanted Ford to build the engine for his rear engine cars.

Lotus had two cars in the 1963 Indy 500, with Jim Clark and Dan Gurney, and they were running an all aluminum version of the Ford OHV small block. They were down about 80 horsepower to the Offys, but the Lotus cars were about 450 pounds lighter than the roadsters everyone was running.

1964 is when Chapman convinced Ford to build the 4 cam engine.

Another interesting aspect of this engine is in the Indy cars, the exhaust came out between the cylinder heads. In the sprint cars, it came out below the intake stacks.

These engines also saw some use in the original Ford GT40's, specifically the MK 1 version in 1964, although in race trim, the 289 OHV engine was more popular than the 4 cam.

And with all that mass in the cylinder heads, and the gear drives, the whole engine package only weighed 400 pounds.

Here is a pic of the gear drive for ya. What drove the 4 cam ford.

post-21-1178940514_thumb.jpg

They ran 3 times in the Astrodome 1969,1970 and 1972. The 1972 race ended it for the Astrodome when the cars started runnin through the infield cause the track was too rough.

USAC didn't stop the race and warn them so basically they ran 40 of the 50 laps in the infield. Cost to clean all 50,000 seats and completely rebuilt the air conditioning system from the dust was estimated to be $100,000.00

John Logan at Pan American 1973 Kurtis Midget Roadster - ChevyII

There were only 10 of these roadsters built by Kurtis, only 2 are known to exist today. This car is in a private museum in Michigan, the other is in Australia

post-3229-1179326057_thumb.jpg

Wayne Rutherford at Pan American 1973 Scott Hunter's Kurtis - ChevyII. Wayne is the younger brother of Johnny Rutherford.

post-3229-1179326897_thumb.jpg

On the pick of the Rutherford car, what is the big lever on the outside on the car for? And also, some of the old midgets had a canister mounted on the left side of the car outside the drivers compartment. What was this used for?

For this era of Midget, My guess on the lever for in gear or not. Not sure about this car, but the midgets these days have a handle that engages gears in the quick change.

The canister you are thinking about on the old pre-war style midgets is the fuel pump.

In the pic below that was previously posted here by TEX44, Doc Cossey here in the foreground has his hand on a similar lever. In this era of midget that lever is the brake.

Behind it is the fuel pump you mentioned. They basically drove with the right hand, while alternately switching the left hand from the pump to the brake.

post-21-1179367036_thumb.jpg

Neon14,

Guessing on the rutherford car, I'm gonna say that proably was a weight jacker. That was a little too late of a car for that to be the brake the old cars used. Alot of the cars from the 70's to the 90's used a weight jacker so the driver could change the weight as the track changed. Easy to get you in trouble too...LOL

Budman,

Lee Kunzman won the first one I think, can't recall who won the second one. A.J. won the 3rd and last one.

Correction on that, Tom Biglow won the first, Kunzman the second and then A.J.

Tex,

That drivers list from '69 is nothing short of incredible!

What's really ashame is it took 35 years to get USAC Midgets back to Texas. The USAC National Midget Series was at THR last October and again in April, with 30 midgets on hand. Both events were rained out.

Who knows if or when they'll ever be back.

Archived