Old Aerial pics of race tracks

txtom

I got the Historical Aerial link off one of the Playland Park posts, and found this for the old timers.

Pan American Speedway #1, as it looked in 1973.

PAS #1

Here is one for the not-so -oldtimers:

Pan American Speedway #2, as it looked in 1973. Look close at the top of the backstretch. How many of you knew that this track used to have a gate on the backstretch? You can see the road that led back to the pits.

PAS #2

On either pic, click the years on the right of the pics to see then versus now.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is one for the Austin folks,

Oak Hill Downs Speedway, circa 1964. You can see the remains of three different size tracks here. The biggest would be the horse track, don't know about the middle one, and the smallest is the 1/4 mile.

Oak Hill Downs

For those who wonder if Dallas ever had an asphalt track, here is "Salvage Speedway", circa 1979.

Click on 1972 to see it in better days. This track was located on the Southbound I-45 frontage road between Wilmer-Hutchins, and just South of Fulghum Road.

Salvage Speedway

Here is one for the Austin folks,

Oak Hill Downs Speedway, circa 1964. You can see the remains of three different size tracks here. The biggest would be the horse track, don't know about the middle one, and the smallest is the 1/4 mile.

Oak Hill Downs

sneaky canadians! they were running a bombing raid that day. who knew? that's like the sweeds riding off on ur women and making love to ur horses,,,,,,,

very cool , thanX tom

One for the straightliners--- Double Eagle Dragway, San Antonio, 1973. I think it was closed by then.

Located on Gibbs-Sprawl Road.

That oval to the west of the dragstrip was a 1/4 mile Motorcycle track that ran from 1968 to 1970. It was called "Action Raceway".

Double Eagle

One more tonight.........................

My Father has a fondness for this track. The 1/5th Mile at the Dallas State Fairgrounds, 1956. They raced midgets on Wednesday nights, and he watched guys like Jud Larson, Cecil Green, and a host of others.

The Cotton Bowl is immediately west of the track.

Dallas Fairgrounds

Incredible Track History!

Thanks to everyone for making this available!

Nice shots here and what memories to take us back to the birth of these tracks.

It is incredible to see Meyer Speedway in some of these shots where it is actually being built ( 1957-1958 ) ground breaking and construction progress.

You can also see the High Banked Bicycle Track near turn 4 which was later torn down. The other small oval I believe was a Kart Track in the beginning but later covered up for parking..

The Playland Park shot really brings chills as you can actually see the humps on the famous roller coaster / amusement rides and all that vacant land surrounding the speedway that was.

The Devils Bowl Track is awesome also. What a degree of oval that was.

I can honestly tell everyone that I might be the only Quarter Midget Driver to have actually drove a Quarter Midget on both the Devils Bowl and Playland Park Speedways in 1956 and 1958 respectively.

I'll await my rewards fellas.. :rolleyes:

Tom, are you trying to tell me I'm old or sumthin..LOL :lol:

Great Great Stuff!

Tom,

I went back and looked at Playland Park in 1964 and all that is left of the Roller Coaster is 2 humps as the rest of it was torn down. Some of the other rides are still on premise.

Remember, Astro World was now the new playground for amusements and it too is now gone!

Haunting to see the building sitting right on top of the old Playland Speedway.

All in the name of progress folks...

-Randy

Here's one for the San Antonio gang.

This is Highland Speedway, which was on HWY 87 East a little ways out from Loop 410. Started as a Motorcycle track, but they had some stock car caring out there also, and I think that our own John Kelly had something to do with that happening. Track was operational from 1967 to about 1977 or so.

The location is basically across from the present day Lakeside Subdivision.

Highland Speedway

This was an old horse track in Arlington, called "Arlington Downs Raceway".

It held some big car races in the late 40's. Fred Lockwood and San Antonio native Babe Stapp were co-promoters of these races. Both were close friends of my Grandfather.

Another piece of this track's history was the film "To Please a Lady" was filmed in part at this track. While a lot of folks think Jud Larson did all the Midget driving in that film, it was actually him and Cecil Green.

A personal bit of history is that track is where my Father took one of his first drives in a street car, a station wagon, at about age 14. My Grandfather put him in behind the wheel, and told him to take a lap around the track. Stapp and Lockwood were in the back seat. Dad got into the corner a little hot, spun the thing in the dirt, and when he came to a stop, his Dad was howling with laughter, and the back seat guys were howling in fright.

Arlington Downs

Another track in the Metroplex was this one, Mansfield Speedway south of Ft Worth. It was a 1/4 miler that ran from 1964 to 1972, and again in 1982 before being torn down. It is now a trailer park.

Mansfield

Txtom, (or anyone elso who knows) where was the Oak Hill Downs track located?? In the 2004 view, I see a major highway going thru, but can't really make out any structures or buildings?? Maybe Motorola building off William Cannon & Hwy 71?? D.

Duane,

You are correct, intersection of William Cannon and Hwy 71. There is a pond at the entrance of Motorola; and the tracks were situated roughly between the Motorola buildings and that pond.

Back to Houston,

I believe this is the Arrowhead Park Speedway, near South Main and Old Spanish Trail. Ran from 1947 to about 1954. Site of A.J. Foyt's first win in 1953, a trophy dash.

If you pan Southwest from here, you run into Playland Park real quick.

Arrowhead

Duane,

You are correct, intersection of William Cannon and Hwy 71. There is a pond at the entrance of Motorola; and the tracks were situated roughly between the Motorola buildings and that pond.

Tom, Someone said that the Oak Hill 1/4 mile dirt track was the pond. Looks like it on the Google map. None of the buildings were there when I raced there. Been awhile........................... :blink:

Tom, Someone said that the Oak Hill 1/4 mile dirt track was the pond.

The existing pond was a landscaping project when they built the Motorola complex.

But it is basically on top of the old track site.

One of my closer friends who is retired from Motorola was there when they were doing the plant build.

That aerial site is pretty good; I wish it had more areas like west Texas, as I know the locations of several tracks out there.

But I have more to post from the areas that are there.

tom...

I know you've posted the location before, but where was Arl Downs at?? Was trying to find one of those old posts, but couldn't find it. Looked at the pic and was trying to figure out where and whether I drive right by it everyday.

btw...thanks for all the work on these....it has been great....

Billy

Billy,

Arlington Downs was located at the Northwest corner of Hwy 180 (Division) and Hwy 360. It was situated east/west.

It was basically due North of the GM plant there in Arlington. Right across 180.

Randol Mill Road and the parallel train track south of Randoll Mill both run through the center of the track, and Six Flags Drive running north and south would have been about the end of the front straight before going into one.

If you look at the track pic again, Six Flags Drive runs right through the middle of the small oval that was on the front stretch.

Thanks for the kind words; I have had some fun posting these.

I got a few more to come in the next few days.

Archived