4 cyl. run what you brung race

There has already been some interest on this forum for the 4cyl. run what you brung race, I was interested in comment from you guys on would you do it or would we have no cars. We might put this together if we can get a car count.

Let me know

Owen

First off I'll say that I think the Pro Sedans are an excellent series. Neil does an exceptional job and is by far the most organized series I have ever been involved with. I have been involved with the Allison Legacy's the past couple of years and am very pleased with their progress. They have had a few growing pains but, with the direction of Bob Riley, they are on the fast track to success. The Texas Thunder speaks for themselves.....20-25 cars on average is simply great! I was involved to some degree, as my dad used to race with a bunch of the guys that started the class back in the 80's & 90's. Man sure do miss seeing that Red VW bug zooming around CC on 3 wheels!

This "Big Kahoonies" race is an idea that Tom and I have been pursuing for some time. Tom and I would love to see a bunch of cars on the racetrack. We just think it would be a win-win for everyone involved. The drivers, promoters and the fans too! It kind of reminds me of the Super job Neil and his TIDA Pro Sedans used to take on with the Texas Race of Champions run at Texas World Speedway.

One might think that the 3 main 4 cyl. Series would be interested in having a "shoot-out" to crown the fastest 4 cyl. stock car in Texas.

I'm not sure about the safety concerns, and don't know anything about the Dwarfs/Legends. The last few races I saw of theirs, they had good car counts also. Perhaps they can be included and run their own race, if their low weight is a concern.

Owen Pittman is proposing, "Would anyone be interested in a race like this one?"

I say HELL YA! I don't have a ride as yet but will be there to support my friends, (in the Pro Sedans, Legacy's and Thunders!)

This is the opportunity that we have all been looking for! A promoter (Owen) is willing to take a chance on a 4 cyl. class to HEADLINE his sporting event.

I think we must support CC Motor Speedway in this endeavor. They are putting the confidence in us to put it on!

Lets All Git-r-done!

Mel

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

safety is allways a concern but i think everyone who would participate in this sort of formate has enough seat time to know what's at stake. this is not a 15 ar 20 lap feature that requires one to take every spot every time there's a hole. this would be more of the driver with the most patience, control, saving the car, staying calm and collective, waiting for things to open up and come to him. as far as a certain class getting shown up, i think the overall average times for all four classes are high 15's to low and mid 16's. now we put 30 to 35 cars out there and we are looking at the ultimate equilizer. another little twist to help keep it serious, the track or promoter put up a attractive purse, all drivers cost $100.00 to enter and have 100% pay back. that alone is a good purse, and it takes a little stress off the track or promoter. i think some things like this plus some other small speedbumps basically would narrow down to racers who want to have opportunity to be there at the end and race each there. accidents allways happen, but this is endurance and i believe in this formate everyone would be somewhat cautious be there late night then drop the hammer. all i know is like i said earlier THE RACE OF RACES what a blast

At least were all talking now.One thing we have going for us is having a promoter who is willing to work with us.I think if we can keep talking and adress the safty concerns we have a good chance to have a special big enduro race.Most promoters will not even talk to 4 cyl racers.What is needed now is to count actual cars that are intrested so show Owen were racers intrested in improving our status in the racing communitity.Someday I hope we are the premier class.When we start adding things like superchargers.turbos,NOX,or other HP enhancers,we will be faster than many V8 classes.Dont believe it? Watch the Tuner cars on Speed Channel.Hondas running 7 secs in a quarter?Sounds like a Big Block killer to me. Add a lightweight chassis and big tires,your looking at the 13 sec bracket.Maybe faster.As far as I know,Rick Rapp has the overall lap record at 13 flat.Lets face it,CC Motor Speedway is the ideal size for 4 cyl cars.After all,it started as a midget track in the beginning. :)

Thumper, I don't think the track itself being a safety issue was ever there. CCMS is probably one of the safest tracks out there. Look at some of the wrecks that happened here this season and they usually walk away. It would be hopeful that no one has any kind of problems if this race went on and it would be a good race between all the four cylinder classes because they are close. But, IF let's say a Dwarf car stalls and they do from time to time no matter who's driving and how much seat time they have, and IF a 2500 lb Mustang turning times around 15's comes along and hits it, it won't be pretty. Of course drivers don't like to think about this while they're racing and no one wants anything bad to happen to a fellow driver, but it is a concern. As a fan, I hope this race will happen, but if I had a car, I wouldn't want to drive in a race like this, but will support anyone that does and I always hope every race I see is a safe one, no matter what kind of race it is. I've been around everything from boat races to motocross to Super Late Models and ARCA type cars and have butterflies at the start of all of those races. Again, best of luck to all if this happens and I hope it would be a safe, successful race.

top shelf neil already lets his cars run together with a wide race weight difference 1720 to 2580 whats that 860 pounds whats the difference between a vw that probably hits the scales at around 1650 being ran into by a stang 2500 plus my point is that some people are having a problem with the car weight I ask why when neil has been letting his drivers race together with at times a 1000 pound weight difference I guess if this race comes to be and i will be watching I will see real racers I will see racers and race teams that are supporting a track that has provided a place for all of your series to race your cars

I saw that some of the legacy drivers are talking about racing even the guy that runs the legacys are thinking about racing they probably dont have a real chance aginst the locals and tps if neil decides to let them run

maybe they are coming to support a track who allows them to race maybe someone should ask the tps drivers if they would like to be part of this race

what you guys need to do is set a entry fee say 20 dollars and have a entry form on the internet so people could download it . and people fill it out and send it to owen so he could see how many cars will really show up for this race . oh and mel i ran against your dad many times he was always a clean driver and he was fast in the red bug i know my dad never had problems racing against him either

Now I have to add some corrections to MY dwarf car info. With me in the #64 I weighted 1440lbs. The TDCA rules allow a minimum weight of 1250lbs. That is closer to what David Tedford (25), Keith Roach (05), and Arden Vikre (72) weigh at most races. As far as safety goes, yes I would be very nervous to be on a track with 25 cars, all bigger than me. Not to mention the fact that very few of us have ever raced side by side with each other in any class. I know for a fact that several cars would not be able to see a dwarf car or a legacy car if it was anywhere near them.

But the fact that I REALLY want to go fast on asphalt makes this format appealing. This would be the only race (unless I went to Florida) I can put on real racing tires, real racing carbs, real racing fuel, and do WHATEVER I think will make my car faster and not have to worry about rules.

Poorboy and Don are right though, a 200+ hp Modlite w/ a swaybar, slicks, and less than 1300lbs would easily run in the low 14's and probably a 13 with enough practice and time to play with shocks and springs. But, I'm here in Maryland and will just read about it here on TXSZ........

Congrats to Will, Todd, and BJ on a great seasons.

Wes

when will anyone know a date for this race.....

It is coming up on tear the car down to the frame time.

I want to race, I am sure some TPS guys will come out and join this one of a kind event. Regardless of what one say's.

Just wondering if this is dead in the water or are we gonna run..

Tom H.

• 2 weeks later...
All bark and no bite!!!!!

would have been one hell of a race.... who/what killed it?

Doesn't something have to be alive before it gets killed? LOL As far as I know, this race has never been announced by Owen, Doc or anyone else in a position to pull if off.

However, I'm betting that Owen and Doc would be more than willing to lease CCMS to anyone putting up the bucks to promote a race like the one being discussed in this thread.

Nick Holt

I bet they would NICK..... Talking about the idea for the race nickster, not that anyone had sanctioned the show.

Nick, you must be bored.......because you failed to read who started this thread.

There has already been some interest on this forum for the 4cyl. run what you brung race, I was interested in comment from you guys on would you do it or would we have no cars. We might put this together if we can get a car count.

Let me know

Owen

I count a total of 17 cars wanting to have this race.7 Allisons,8 thunders,2 Dwarf cars.I believe the lack of sincere intrest put this race on hold for now.Even with no rules,4 cyl people are arguing about rules.The whole point to this kind of race IS to try stuff to go faster than ever and allow any race car to be a part without buying stuff to be legal.And the Houston people were intrested too,many want to have a pavement experience.It still could happen but not with 17 cars and bickering.What happens now? :o

Archived